IGNORED

Spring Torrey 2020?

I can find nothing on spring Torrey this year.  I did get a request from the Chuckwagon asking me to confirm my room for June 4,5,.6 which is a week or two later that we usually have it.  Have I missed something?

johnlt

**   Chris   **
15 hours ago, johnlt said:

Thanks Ed, I missed Larry's post but I am in at the Chuckwagon and plan on being there.

johnlt

Woohoo!  It's been a long time!

Calvin  (no socks)

John, if my memory serves me well.... weren't you were a week early or late one year ?   :grin:

Yes, you are correct.  At least the weather was great when I was there and it rained on the correct date.  Unfortunately, the chuckwagon was full "Mongols" at their annual rally.   

For the fifth time in the last 10 Torreys, my tires are marginal.  Anakees with 2mm in front and 3mm in the rear.  The trip will probably total about 4k miles.  Should I change them?  

szurszewski

I would...

...nothing sucks the fun out of riding quite like worrying about your tires...

Rinkydink
3 hours ago, johnlt said:

For the fifth time in the last 10 Torreys, my tires are marginal.  Anakees with 2mm in front and 3mm in the rear.  The trip will probably total about 4k miles.  Should I change them?  

Absofrickenlutely

15 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I would...

...nothing sucks the fun out of riding quite like worrying about your tires...

This.  I did it once babying the tires for the ride home sucking out some of the fun.  Now if it's questionable, I just swap em before going.  Plus depending on what roads/states you ride through getting there might ad to the wear or worry.  Seems like extra summer heat, remember we're going in June this year and those desert highway roadways seems to just eat my tires faster than at home.

Bill_Walker
22 hours ago, johnlt said:

You have to know by know how hard Utah roads are on tires.  And Killer got rid of his stash, so there are no backups available.  Change 'em if there's any chance they won't go the distance.

chrisolson
10 minutes ago, johnlt said:

Has anyone done a body count yet.  With the virus going around, I'm thinking many may not travel. 

I'm currently IN ... however the wife is making noises that maybe its not appropriate at this time ... hotel cleaning, sit down meals, meals on the road, public bathrooms ... so many variables we never used to consider even in the height of flu season (note: never did do flu shots, and generally never got seasonal flu ... but this virus ,although similar, can be quite different for my demographic ) .  

Not so much concerns with BMWST members ... but still...  even with the good intentions and relying on their  best judgement, the "you know if you got it because you're sick" isn't really true so  folks could still be infectious and not know ...

The problem is who can be sure when all of those troubling scenarios will change, so why not go  ?  Interactions can be limited and disinfectants are available ... but that sorta destroys the fun.

Its not a simple task to do risk assessment with so many unknowns concerning actual transmission or even the consequences of catching the disease  . Yes, even for old farts, its not always fatal, but since there is no current treatment it still can be a serious illness even if you recover.   And who willingly wants to go through that ?

Might give it some time to see what shakes out and go for Fall ! 

We'll see.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, johnlt said:

Has anyone done a body count yet.  With the virus going around, I'm thinking many may not travel. 

So far it looks like work will let me go and as long as they don't lock me down, I'm still IN.  I'm in need of some road therapy, Carona travel modifications or not.  Torrey is always good for my soul.

Bill_Walker
On 5/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, johnlt said:

Has anyone done a body count yet.

That's probably not the terminology you wanted to use just now, John.  "Head count" is more usual when you're counting the living.

46 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

That's probably not the terminology you wanted to use just now, John.  "Head count" is more usual when you're counting the living.

Head count is a good way to put it.  I'm sure we'll have some head cases in attendance. :lurk:

• Like 1