IGNORED

The Great Escape (Tahoe)

RPondaRoad

My wife and I got up into the high country today for the first time this year.  It felt good to get away from the constant virus news and all that that brings and to smell the pine trees as they warmed in the morning sun.  We left our home east of Sacramento on I-80 and did my favorite loop that included the western shore of Lake Tahoe and then over Echo Summit and back on Hwy. 50.  Mostly, I'm writing this for those who want to head for the hills and are wondering what the conditions are.  The roads are perfectly clear...no snow, no ice.  In fact there are only a couple of places where we encountered run off on the road.  Today is Tuesday, April 28 and there was almost no traffic around the lake at all.  It felt so strange! Traffic getting up to Truckee on I-80 was very light also...mostly trucks hanging out in the right lanes.  Coming back on 50 was almost spooky...I've never had the road to myself like that before.  The downside of course is that the lockdown is apparent around the lake.  Everything is shuttered and the feeling of being a "part" of something was missing.  But, I must say that this allowed us to appreciate the beauty that is Lake Tahoe even more than we normally would.  I snapped this of my wife when we stopped at a viewpoint.  

MP and the RT-P1330695.jpg

MP and the RT-P1330695.jpg

• Like 4

Although El Dorado County is on a lock down and non-residents aren't supposed to travel to or through, I'm a believer in a bit of civil disobedience and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the ride.  Next time when you get to Tahoe City, try stopping as Safeway and they''ll make you a sandwich at their deli.  You can use the trunk of the bike as a picnic table or travel a few miles into Tahoe Vista and stop at Tahoe Waterman.  They have coffee and places to sit out back.  If a sandwich isn't your style, keep going north and when you get to Kings Beach, The Char Pit is open for take away.  Great Burgers.  

14 hours ago, dba said:

Although El Dorado County is on a lock down and non-residents aren't supposed to travel to or through, I'm a believer in a bit of civil disobedience and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the ride.  Next time when you get to Tahoe City, try stopping as Safeway and they''ll make you a sandwich at their deli.  You can use the trunk of the bike as a picnic table or travel a few miles into Tahoe Vista and stop at Tahoe Waterman.  They have coffee and places to sit out back.  If a sandwich isn't your style, keep going north and when you get to Kings Beach, The Char Pit is open for take away.  Great Burgers.  

I'm not very well versed on the specifics of the lockdown rules.  I know that I need to isolate myself from others and that my wife and I have done a stellar job.  We haven't even hugged or been in the presence of our nearby daughter and grand children in almost two months.  Nor have we been in any business establishment including grocery stores (we do pickup).  For all of us, this is a terrible sacrifice.  But what we are doing doesn't hold a candle to what our defenders are suffering through.  In that spirit, we never touched a thing that we didn't leave home with on our motorcycle ride today, nor did we come within 30-40 feet of another "non-caged" human.  We stopped at unoccupied view stops (unheard of at Tahoe in normal times) to grab some water or a snack from our top case and once to make a layering change in our clothing.  While for many motorcyclists this would be a tour to get to and ride Tahoe,  necessitating getting food, drink and lodging, we live in the Sierra Foothills and it is a day ride.  Lucky us.  

Thanks for your eating recommendations.  When the all clear sounds we'll explore them.  I've stopped at the Safeway many years ago.  I don't know about Tahoe Waterman or the Char Pit, but great burgers get my interest right away.  I also like the Bridge Tender in Tahoe City for burgers and the deli at Obexner's in Homewood for sandwiches.  I don't often get over to Zephyr Cove, but the Zephyr Cove Restaurant is a must stop when I do.    DBA, do you live at the lake or nearby?  Maybe we could try the Char Pit together when circumstances change.

10 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

DBA, do you live at the lake or nearby?  Maybe we could try the Char Pit together when circumstances change.

I lived at the Lake for 34 years.  I now live in Gardnerville, NV; 19 miles away.  Be happy to meet. ( David Allen 530.314.9476.)  Leave a message if I don't answer.  When I'm doing horse chores, sometimes I don't have my mobile.  Couple of trips into the water trough or under a 1200 lb. thoroughbred, and that gets expensive. 

• Thanks 1
Danny caddyshack Noonan

Sounds like a nice day.  Really miss riding up in the Sierras.  Utah is as pretty, but drivers are worse.  Imagine.  A ride around Emerald Bay without tourists making U-turns right in front of you.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Danny caddyshack Noonan said:

Sounds like a nice day.  Really miss riding up in the Sierras.  Utah is as pretty, but drivers are worse.  Imagine.  A ride around Emerald Bay without tourists making U-turns right in front of you.  

Don't even have to imagine it  Seen it.  

• Like 1