IGNORED

Garmin GPS

Sandlapper

First off I am a new to me RT('18) owner as a matter of fact received it this AM.....Been on a couple of shake down runs and all seems fine. Definitely going to take some getting use to....had a LT.

But here is my problem..... I have a Garmin 595LM that I have had for maybe 4-5 years, actually know how to find stuff on it, so I don't really want to change. The RT came equipped with a cradle/mount up at top of dash in the little cubbie hole made for GPS. The mount that is there looks identical to the mount I currently use for the 595, but the device will not fit into the area just a schosh too big.

I wouldn't think I'm the first person with this problem, so what are my options....really don't want to shell out more money on another GPS device, will the 595 fit the BMW cradle? is there a Garmin adapter that will move the cradle out 1/4-1/2 inch.

In last pic I'm holding the 595 up in the opening and it's maybe 1/4 too wide, 2nd pic is the back of the 595 as you can see it has same number pins

Thanks

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

The mount is designed for a BMW Navigator, made by Garmin, but with specific specifications for BMW. You can see how the case is slightly different than the Garmin 595. 

image.png.2e974ac22cb444cc196461dfbc500055.png

9 minutes ago, Sandlapper said:

First off I am a new to me RT('18) owner as a matter of fact received it this AM.....Been on a couple of shake down runs and all seems fine. Definitely going to take some getting use to....had a LT.

But here is my problem..... I have a Garmin 595LM that I have had for maybe 4-5 years, actually know how to find stuff on it, so I don't really want to change. The RT came equipped with a cradle/mount up at top of dash in the little cubbie hole made for GPS. The mount that is there looks identical to the mount I currently use for the 595, but the device will not fit into the area just a schosh too big.

I wouldn't think I'm the first person with this problem, so what are my options....really don't want to shell out more money on another GPS device, will the 595 fit the BMW cradle? is there a Garmin adapter that will move the cradle out 1/4-1/2 inch.

In last pic I'm holding the 595 up in the opening and it's maybe 1/4 too wide, 2nd pic is the back of the 595 as you can see it has same number pins

Thanks

Afternoon  Sandlapper

Maybe this link can give you some ideas. 

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/182227-garmin-595lm-r1200rtw.html

The BMW Navigator mount has the same pinout as the Zumo 660/590/595 mount. The BMWLT thread has some good ideas, but I'd consider simply putting a spacer behind the factory mount rather than removing it and using the Zumo mount.  That would eliminate any electrical work and save dealing with all the extra cables on the 595 mount. That's assuming  that there is a little extra slack in the factory wiring, the release button still works, and that you don't actually use all the Zumo connections. 

Thanks DirtRider good info there but I'm still not sure of a couple things.

Dam....I was hoping for an easy fix but doesn't sound like that's coming down the pike.....

I'm trying to find out IF the 595 will work using the OEM mount, haven't seen an answer to that yet.....Just got the bike really hate to tear into the dashboard....as matter of fact no idea how that is done

That's assuming  that there is a little extra slack in the factory wiring, the release button still works, and that you don't actually use all the Zumo connections. 

1 hour ago, Sandlapper said:

Thanks DirtRider good info there but I'm still not sure of a couple things.

Dam....I was hoping for an easy fix but doesn't sound like that's coming down the pike.....

I'm trying to find out IF the 595 will work using the OEM mount, haven't seen an answer to that yet.....Just got the bike really hate to tear into the dashboard....as matter of fact no idea how that is done

Morning Sandlapper

The reason I posted that link is that I haven't ever personally done what you are trying to do.

Did you also see the click-on "side link" from the link that I posted above?-- Some pictures.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/182441-garmin-595lm-mounted-factory-spot-r1200rtw.html#post1905533

There was a little blip in that thread that makes me wonder (IF) the  595 will fit your 2018 factory mount. ---                 "Plus, the mounting tabs on the BMW mount are slightly narrower than the 595 mount"

They do look similar & the pin-out looks OK but you really need to carefully measure EVERYTHING, or remove your factory mount then see if your 595 will securely snap into it.  

Or try contacting the posters on the (bmwlt) forum, I get many contacts for help, or for more technical information,  from members of other BMW web sites  (non-BMWST sites)   about something that I have posted here. 

Check out this link that has the pix if you haven't already:  Link with Pix

It will involve some customization on your part.  If you aren't comfortable with that, then you might want to see if you can pick up one of the bmw units and then sell the zumo and it might balance out the cost.  When I was looking for a bike, the local dealer offered me one of the bmw/garmin units for about 300 and said he had several since people would trade them in for newer versions..  Just a thought.

Thanks DirtRider....saw that and actually asked the question about it..... Looked at both posters, the OP and other rider and neither have been on the site in several years.....

Thanks EvilTwin....it looks as if from that post that the OEM mount won't work...and after seeing pic and write up don't seem to be that involved....I work better from pics especially when what is being described I haven't seen before...

As the poster said, I have other bikes that I use the 595 on......I mean if BMW didn't want a $1000 bucks for the Nav I might consider, but that's just robbery.

I post some pics when I do the project....but right now I'm going to enjoy my new ride and figure out all the ins and outs of dash options

If it were me, I would pop out those 4 torx head screws that hold the mount in and then snap it on the back of your zumo and see if it fires up.  That would confirm if the mount fits, which I expect it does.  You could also see what if anything the whizwheel might control, that might be specific to the bmw branded units, but you never know.

The poster in the other thread said he had to use about a 3/4" spacer block to get it to sit out proud enough for it to mount.  You could also get some 3/4 spacers from the hardware store and that might do the trick with longer screws.  But I like to fiddle with things and fabricate, so YMMV.  Good luck either way.

• Like 1

What EvilTwin says is smart.  Pull the mount out of the panel and see what happens when you connect it to your unit.

26 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

What EvilTwin says is smart.  Pull the mount out of the panel and see what happens when you connect it to your unit.

Evening___

Aren't there free (non attached) nuts on those mounting bolts behind the dash panel? 

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening___

Aren't there free (non attached) nuts on those mounting bolts behind the dash panel? 

Well, that would be typical German engineering...

Well if you can find a 665 LM will drop right in, no wonder wheel but you dont have to mess with OEM and you can find 665LM cheap and just leave it on the bike.  IMHO a GPS is a GPS and if not, I got a map when I crossed the State line I am currently in.

47 minutes ago, LAF said:

Well if you can find a 665 LM will drop right in, no wonder wheel but you dont have to mess with OEM and you can find 665LM cheap and just leave it on the bike.  IMHO a GPS is a GPS and if not, I got a map when I crossed the State line I am currently in.

So 665 will fit in the hole? had one of those till I upgraded to the 595 4-5 years ago.....just looked on ebay not a single one for sale, lots of brackets though.

DR....I've had the whole unit out before.  After the first year mine starting sticking.  I pulled the windshield and the top panel.  I removed the unit and added a couple of washers to shim it.  That didn't work and BMW replaced it.  I don't remember how it mounted exactly but it wasn't any big deal once you take off the requisite pieces to get to it.

8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

DR....I've had the whole unit out before.  After the first year mine starting sticking.  I pulled the windshield and the top panel.  I removed the unit and added a couple of washers to shim it.  That didn't work and BMW replaced it.  I don't remember how it mounted exactly but it wasn't any big deal once you take off the requisite pieces to get to it.

Morning  Skywagon

I pulled the windshield and the top panel.-- That is kind of what I was getting at. If just the 4 screws need to be removed from the mount then why did you have to remove the windshield and the top panel?

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

why did you have to remove the windshield and the top panel?

I don't remember why I pulled all that off or if you could just unbuckle it without doing all that.  I'll take a look later today and reply back.  That was about 3 years ago and I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.  We have heavy storms here today so will be a while.

2 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I don't remember why I pulled all that off or if you could just unbuckle it without doing all that.  I'll take a look later today and reply back.  That was about 3 years ago and I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.  We have heavy storms here today so will be a while.

Morning  Skywagon

No need to do that as my posting above was just to inform Sandlapper that there might be nuts on those screws behind the panel.

It looks like he is aware of that  so this kind of a dead horse now. 

Bill_Walker
On 4/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, EvilTwin said:

You could also see what if anything the whizwheel might control, that might be specific to the bmw branded units, but you never know.

On my '15 with Nav VI, the whizwheel doesn't do a hell of a lot.  You can switch pages and zoom in or out.  And before you can do that, you have to hit the Menu button a bunch of times to get to the GPS menu.  I don't find it terribly useful.  I gather that there are additional bike info displays if you have a Nav V or Nav VI on a GS, but the RT (at least up to '15) didn't get them for some reason.  About the only other integration is that GPS audio goes through the bike audio system, if you don't have the GPS paired via Bluetooth.

• Like 1

I agree. Using the Wonderwheel with the NAV VI is almost useless. I takes to many steps to be able to do almost nothing.

Although the integration of the NAV VI with the bike is pretty good. I was expecting a better integration with the wheel.

I always operate my NAV VI from the screen.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
Sandlapper

Got the job done yesterday....actually pretty easy after windshield and top of dashboard were removed drill out mount and faceplate...added 1” acrylic shim to each screw and voila....

25124B8C-879E-4F7B-AB89-82DB49C2E568.jpeg

24C6B716-5B8D-4FF9-9E09-A4FF4EB07671.jpeg

CADD151D-4413-4A65-9764-369B3546292C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 4/30/2020 at 12:24 AM, Dann said:

I agree. Using the Wonderwheel with the NAV VI is almost useless. I takes to many steps to be able to do almost nothing.

Although the integration of the NAV VI with the bike is pretty good. I was expecting a better integration with the wheel.

I always operate my NAV VI from the screen.

YMMV

I've set the up menu option to Nav. It saves a step. I use the zoom option a lot.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
On 5/9/2020 at 7:10 PM, PatM said:

I've set the up menu option to Nav. It saves a step. I use the zoom option a lot.

I've got that set to get me to heated grips, which I use a hell of a lot more often.  But that's why it's customizable!