IGNORED

final drive oil amount

Ron-M

I just had Jacksonville (Fl) BMW do my initial service.  When I got home, I noticed that they filled the final drive with 200ml of oil.   Has the amount of oil changed from the 180ml that was determined to be the correct amount in the past?  

3 hours ago, Ron-M said:

I just had Jacksonville (Fl) BMW do my initial service.  When I got home, I noticed that they filled the final drive with 200ml of oil.   Has the amount of oil changed from the 180ml that was determined to be the correct amount in the past?  

Morning Ron

What motorcycle do you have? Your signature line still shows that you have an 07 1200RT but you are posting in the ShiftCam forum? 

If you are referring to your new ShiftCam 1250 then my suggestion is to call the dealer & ask. I don't have the very latest 1250 service information on the  1250 final drive amount. It was 200ml after an overhaul or drive replacement but 180ml after a simple service gear oil change. Your dealer might have a new  service bulletin showing something different.  

I deserve to be called out for not updating my signature line.  But I do have a 2020 1250RT for which I just had the run in service completed.  Still having the 2007 RT, and going through that time when there was the big controversy about the amount of oil in the final drive, I was surprised to see the 200 ml amount of oil replaced into the final drive.  I am going to call the dealership Tuesday and ask the question, but I thought in the meantime I would ask on this here.  The owner's manual does not address it.  Thank you for your answers.   

5 hours ago, Ron-M said:

I deserve to be called out for not updating my signature line.  But I do have a 2020 1250RT for which I just had the run in service completed.  Still having the 2007 RT, and going through that time when there was the big controversy about the amount of oil in the final drive, I was surprised to see the 200 ml amount of oil replaced into the final drive.  I am going to call the dealership Tuesday and ask the question, but I thought in the meantime I would ask on this here.  The owner's manual does not address it.  Thank you for your answers.   

Afternoon Ron

On your 2007 hexhead RT the oil amount was a big deal as that drive was sealed with no external vent so the rather small internal volume of the drive caused pressure build up. Therefore BMW lowered the oil amount from 200ml to 180 ml for a drive gear oil change  service. As far as I could tell it was still 200ml after an overhaul or on a newly installed drive (first time fill).  

On your 2020 1250RT you should still use the correct amount of gear oil but that extra 20ml (little over 1/2 ounce) of gear oil isn't nearly as big of a deal as your 2020 1250RT final drive is vented to atmosphere to prevent internal pressure build. 

See what your dealer says as maybe they have a new service bulletin that alters things.   

I just had my 1000k service done by the dealer and they don't mention how much oil they put in. I"ll see when I do the next one myself.