Jump to content
Roymundo

R1200RT LC pannier lid damage

Recommended Posts

Roymundo

Last year the bike fell over on its right side in an unevan carpark. The pannier lid suffered light scratches. Not very pleased but this sort of thing happens. The bike is a 2015 R1200RT LC.

 

The lid is very lightly textured in what looks like a gunmetal colour. So far I have rubbed the damaged surface down to loose the scratches but it looks a mess. Not wanting to pay out for a new lid (over £200)I was thinking if the lid could be spray painted with a close matching colour and textured finish. Rattle can and do myself or a spray company.

Has anyone done this with good results?

Thanks, Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Cap

Boxer Cup Tribute.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Roymundo

Very nice colours, I like the protection bars for engine and panniers, what make are they? 

Share this post


Link to post
Dann

Ilium Works

Share this post


Link to post
Cap
13 hours ago, Roymundo said:

Very nice colours, I like the protection bars for engine and panniers, what make are they? 

Thanks.  My point in posting the pic is that you can have your scuffed cases looking like new again.  This is a 3 layer paint job: primer, color, and clear.  Before painting, they had some minor scratches.  My tailcase (not pictured) had more serious damage, and also looks like new after repainting.  

 

And yes, Ilium Works protection bars.  Easy to install, and they don't interfere with removing the valve covers.  However, the right-side bodywork requires some careful bending to remove and reinstall with the Ilium bars in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Corazon de Pollo
On 4/25/2020 at 5:59 PM, Roymundo said:

Last year the bike fell over on its right side in an unevan carpark. The pannier lid suffered light scratches. Not very pleased but this sort of thing happens. The bike is a 2015 R1200RT LC.

 

The lid is very lightly textured in what looks like a gunmetal colour. So far I have rubbed the damaged surface down to loose the scratches but it looks a mess. Not wanting to pay out for a new lid (over £200)I was thinking if the lid could be spray painted with a close matching colour and textured finish. Rattle can and do myself or a spray company.

Has anyone done this with good results?

Thanks, Roy

 

Any car bodywork shop could do the job for you: just ride around (if/when allowed) and tell them you are bringing the cover off the bike. You generally get a good price and since BMW uses exactly the same colors on bikes and cars (with a few years lag) you usually get a perfect match to boot.

I have no idea of going rates in your area, but these are considered "one off" jobs and are better discussed on the spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Roymundo

Are the Ilium works rear bars a problem for a pillion getting on and off the bike?

Also the Ilium bars don't appear to be available in England, only USA unless anyone knows different. The Wunderlich bars are available here but they are so much bigger in size so not fond of them.

I'm making enquires for the cost of a new lid to see how it compares to getting both lids spray painted. Watch this space.

Roy, East Yorkshire, England.

Share this post


Link to post
Corazon de Pollo
7 hours ago, Roymundo said:

Are the Ilium works rear bars a problem for a pillion getting on and off the bike?

Also the Ilium bars don't appear to be available in England, only USA unless anyone knows different. The Wunderlich bars are available here but they are so much bigger in size so not fond of them.

I'm making enquires for the cost of a new lid to see how it compares to getting both lids spray painted. Watch this space.

Roy, East Yorkshire, England.

 

When asking for a quote, ask how much is clear-coating both lids. Clear coat can save you a lot of £££ because it can be easily brought back to as new conditions with automotive specific abrasives such as those made by Menzerna.

Share this post


Link to post
hound

Several suppliers offer vinyl coatings that can be sprayed on and peeled off at anytime. I've used "Plasti dip" with long lasting great results. Another company is "Superwrap", I've not used their product but they offer many color options. Do a inter web search and watch some videos, I think you'll be impressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Roymundo

I have a cunning plan A, to vinyl wrap the existing lid if I can get something that matches the existing finish. How hard can it be? Not sure what plan B is yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Don Miller

I had a side case lid re-painted on my '06 RT; color matched using the BMW paint color code for the bike. A local body shop did it and the paint/color match was perfect. Last year I had the large BMW top box wrapped to match the color of my 2018 RT. It wasn't an exact match but you probably wouldn't notice with a casual look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Roymundo

DSC_3869.thumb.JPG.6c0310021bebe130a757393afffb3203.JPGDSC_3868.thumb.JPG.bd0ace939a43e39f00154fdddefe2966.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Roymundo

Vinyl wrap now completed, I have wrapped the right hand pannier only because its a very good match to existing finish, total cost £44

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Skywagon

Roy…..was the wrap colored or clear?  Which wrap did you use.

Share this post


Link to post
Roymundo

I used premium black vinyl sheet car wrap, a solid colour,,,,,Black Frosted. Found it on ebay.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...