IGNORED

Sláinte

MikeRC

Sláinte back to you!  When my son turned 21, he wanted to try a single malt, so I bought him a bottle of Laphroaig.  Never being a big scotch drinker, I didn't really know much.  But wow, that Islay whisky is very peaty!  It's definitely an acquired taste.

While on a trip to the British Isles last year, I stopped in at Glenmorangie and did enjoy that.  So, it’s my go to whisky.  My son did give me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label, which is a blend of single malts from the different whisky regions of Scotland, but I haven’t tried it yet.

IMG_9565.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, dba said:

Sláinte back to you!  When my son turned 21, he wanted to try a single malt, so I bought him a bottle of Laphroaig.  Never being a big scotch drinker, I didn't really know much.  But wow, that Islay whisky is very peaty!  It's definitely an acquired taste.

While on a trip to the British Isles last year, I stopped in at Glenmorangie and did enjoy that.  So, it’s my go to whisky.  My son did give me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label, which is a blend of single malts from the different whisky regions of Scotland, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Bunnahabhain (Boo-na-HAV-uhn) distillery isn't your typical Islay.  Their master distiller has taken some risks over the last 20 years.  They don't (generally) use much peat to roast/dry their barley malt and that 18yr is finished in a sherry cask.  Can't take the sea air out, though.   If you want peat stick to Port Charlotte, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg.  

If you want to try a more approachable Islay try Talisker 10 yr.  Very mild saltiness and peat.  Nothing like the Laphroaig.  

The Glenmorangie I have open right now is the 2017 limited release cask strength "Astar".   Pure oak aged, quite difficult to find because Whisky Advocate kinda rated it a "must have" in 2018.  

Mike C

This week's toast:

20200501_184634.thumb.jpg.e2a0e0edde653082ebac956d36ca5155.jpg 

I had Indian food for supper 😉 

How many weeks do you think I can keep this up for? 

Mike C

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MikeRC said:

Bunnahabhain (Boo-na-HAV-uhn) distillery isn't your typical Islay.  Their master distiller has taken some risks over the last 20 years.  They don't (generally) use much peat to roast/dry their barley malt and that 18yr is finished in a sherry cask.  Can't take the sea air out, though.   If you want peat stick to Port Charlotte, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg.  

If you want to try a more approachable Islay try Talisker 10 yr.  Very mild saltiness and peat.  Nothing like the Laphroaig.  

The Glenmorangie I have open right now is the 2017 limited release cask strength "Astar".   Pure oak aged, quite difficult to find because Whisky Advocate kinda rated it a "must have" in 2018.  

Mike C

I'll have to give it a try.  My motorcycle trip to Scotland got cancelled for this year, so I'll try next year.  The route planned out takes us to Talisker on the Isle of Skye.  Looking forward to that.

• Like 1
chrisolson

On 4/30/2020 at 10:58 AM, dba said:

.... Glenmorangie and did enjoy that.  So, it’s my go to whisky. 

yep, same here ... found it by accident years ago mostly because its fairly priced !  And as MikeRC indicates, they also have a wide range of varieties vs. their standard ... all of which are darn tasty !

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dba said:

I'll have to give it a try.  My motorcycle trip to Scotland got cancelled for this year, so I'll try next year.  The route planned out takes us to Talisker on the Isle of Skye.  Looking forward to that.

My bad.  I should have said you should try one of the other Inner Hebrides Island malts.  Jura is also much less "peaty" than the Laphroaig.  And the Talisker 10yr is the "mild one"  (for Talisker).   

If you still have that Laphroaig try setting up your palate first with some oak or whisky-barreled beer/stout first (Innis & Gunn or Whiskey-barrel stout).  Changes it completely.  Then try some 60% cocoa or higher dark chocolate, dried unsweetened fruit (cranberries or blueberries) or really bland salted snack like pretzels first.  I've had people who can't even smell a peated whisky try it after those tips and can't believe how much it changes.  

If you have a chance to get the Genmorangie Nectar d'Or (2 yr sauternes finish) or Quinta Ruban (2 yr port finish) you should try them.  If guests see either one in my whisky cabinet they always ask if they can have a wee dram ;)   

Mike C

Bill_Walker
On 5/1/2020 at 6:43 PM, dba said:

The route planned out takes us to Talisker on the Isle of Skye.  Looking forward to that.

Skye is awesome!  If you're able to hike at all and the weather's decent, don't miss a chance to hike the Quiraing (https://www.earthtrekkers.com/hiking-the-quiraing-on-the-isle-of-skye/). And Talisker 10 is one of my favorite whiskys.  But I've found that I like peat.  Ardbeg is another favorite.

Now, my knowledge of whisky is more "Reader's Digest Abridged Edition" than encyclopedic, but I'm fortunate to have toured and tasted at a handful of distilleries, and to have gotten a nice discussion and tasting in a pub with a couple of Scots locals.  So far, my absolute favorite, and my wife's, is Ballechin, the peated whisky from tiny Edradour Distillery in Pitlochry (they also have a non-peated whisky just called Edradour).  I like peaty, my wife doesn't, and we both love Ballechin.  I've found one liquor store here that carries it, but of course, it costs more than double what we paid for each of the two bottles we bought at the distillery.  Ouch!

Both of us had hardly tasted Scotch whisky before we went to Scotland, and now we love it.  The distilleries we've toured are Oban, Highland Park, Edradour, and Bushmill's in Ireland.  We stopped by Talisker, but we weren't up for a full tour at the time.

2 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

The distilleries we've toured are Oban, Highland Park, Edradour, and Bushmill's in Ireland.  We stopped by Talisker, but we weren't up for a full tour at the time.

One of the evenings, our stop is in Oban.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 2
Bill_Walker
On 5/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, dba said:

One of the evenings, our stop is in Oban.  Looking forward to it.

Beautiful place.  We wished we had booked more time there.
IMG_6547.thumb.jpeg.15315200a44089ffb1a127673c5025ae.jpeg

IMG_6551.thumb.jpeg.386ff5ac1f5fd4ec56e4cd0d523a1eda.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

Beautiful place.  We wished we had booked more time there.
IMG_6547.thumb.jpeg.15315200a44089ffb1a127673c5025ae.jpeg

IMG_6551.thumb.jpeg.386ff5ac1f5fd4ec56e4cd0d523a1eda.jpeg

Stunning, really can't wait now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sláinte it is, sir:

Irish People Try Irish Whiskey-- 

https://youtu.be/hmyNQqY09qk

...and a few curated videos of these delightful people trying other things:

Irish People Try American Cocktails: https://youtu.be/tLXHMljcfBw

Irish People Try Absinthe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kdEFSFGaU

Irish People Try Four Loco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi8Aaf568E

• 2 weeks later...

I usually drink Macallan or Abelour. I like the sherry cask stuff. Tried Laphroig once. Never again. It was like drinking mobil 1. 

2 hours ago, Ponch said:

I usually drink Macallan or Abelour. I like the sherry cask stuff. Tried Laphroig once. Never again. It was like drinking mobil 1. 

Laphroig is pretty rough.  For me, it was like licking an ashtray it was so smoky.  Others love it.  On Father's Day, my son and I did try the Johnnie Walker Green Label, he gave me for my birthday last November.   Let's just say, the bottle went back home with him.  Neither of us was upset with that outcome.  :grin: 

9 hours ago, dba said:

Laphroig is pretty rough.  For me, it was like licking an ashtray it was so smoky.  Others love it.  On Father's Day, my son and I did try the Johnnie Walker Green Label, he gave me for my birthday last November.   Let's just say, the bottle went back home with him.  Neither of us was upset with that outcome.  :grin: 

Last Christmas my wife and kids got me 12 year old double cask and 18 year old sherry oak Macallan. It's almost gone. I love the 18 year old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...