IGNORED

2000 R1100S clutch slipping

SKP

Hello all,

I have just joined now..

Wondering if anyone has any experience with a slipping clutch?

has about 118,000 kms on the clock and is 2000 model R1100S..

Has really just started happening when I get in high revs and change gear ..

Thanks in advance..

Simon

2 hours ago, SKP said:

Hello all,

I have just joined now..

Wondering if anyone has any experience with a slipping clutch?

has about 118,000 kms on the clock and is 2000 model R1100S..

Has really just started happening when I get in high revs and change gear ..

Thanks in advance..

Simon

Morning SKP

Sure, a number of riders have experienced slipping clutches on the BMW boxer bikes including the 2000 1100S.

It will eventually burn the clutch up if it keeps slipping. (if it isn't burnt & glazed already)

We need more information about your problem to really help you.

Your slipping clutch could be caused by anything from a worn out clutch, to fluid on the clutch  disk from a leaking clutch slave cylinder (somewhat common),  to oil on the clutch from  an oil leaking rear main seal, to clutch abuse, to ?????

Give us more info on your problem  (lots more info) then we can hopefully guide you on what to do next. 

• 3 weeks later...
szurszewski
1 hour ago, fatbob said:

Does the 2000 1100S have a cable or hydraulic actuated clutch?   

Hydraulic. 

I am surprised that the R1100S has a hydraulic clutch, as the 1999 RT still has a cable clutch. Unless the bike has been ridden hard, the clutch plate is unlikely to be worn out, which points to a leak.

If I remember correctly, removing the starter motor (not terribly difficult) provides enough room to inspect the clutch; you may or may not be able to see any leakage, but you can use a digital caliper to measure the thickness of the clutch plate. The clutch plate on my R1100RT wasn't quite down to minimum spec. at 97,000 miles (~160,000 km), but was close enough that I decided to tear it down and replace the clutch.

Can a contaminated clutch plate be cleaned, or does it have to be replaced? Either way, it's a lot of work, although none of it terribly difficult, to split a boxer and pull back the swingarm assembly to get to the clutch. If you go that route, document obsessively with photos at every step of the way. You will be glad you did when it comes time to put everything back together Good luck.

26 minutes ago, Selden said:

I am surprised that the R1100S has a hydraulic clutch, as the 1999 RT still has a cable clutch. Unless the bike has been ridden hard, the clutch plate is unlikely to be worn out, which points to a leak.

Morning  Selden

The 1100S was kind of an outlier as they were basically an early version of the 1150 bike without the displacement.

Ma 2.4 Motronic, 6 speed transmission, hydraulic clutch, etc  put them a few years ahead of the 1100RT. 

szurszewski

@Selden I don't know a whole lot about the R1100S bikes, but I have kind of kept an eye on listings for a few (ok, several - lots ;)  really) years and from the number of "low" (by BMW standards) mile bikes I've seen listed with new/replaced clutches, I suspect a lot of them were ridden pretty hard. I have two of them now and I know one had the clutch replaced already and suspect the other did as well. One had the clutch replaced at 40k, but this was while they were in there to replace other parts (input shaft failure); I believe the other had the clutch replaced around 60k miles as well, but haven't been able to confirm that yet. 

The clutch slave cylinder is prone to leaking which contaminates the  clutch.   Produces the slip you describe.   How is the fluid level in the clutch reservoir?   

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, szurszewski said:

@Selden I don't know a whole lot about the R1100S bikes, but I have kind of kept an eye on listings for a few (ok, several - lots ;)  really) years and from the number of "low" (by BMW standards) mile bikes I've seen listed with new/replaced clutches, I suspect a lot of them were ridden pretty hard. I have two of them now and I know one had the clutch replaced already and suspect the other did as well. One had the clutch replaced at 40k, but this was while they were in there to replace other parts (input shaft failure); I believe the other had the clutch replaced around 60k miles as well, but haven't been able to confirm that yet. 

In addition to the hydraulic clutch, did the R1100RS also have the spline issues that plagued many of the 1150 series? I replaced the clutch on my 1999RT myself, and I was surprised that at 97,000 miles, the splines looked like they had just been machined.

17Q6u-3L6ucUQX9ktTFkT5IhPPkS2TqBaMEDPKNIJLC1MJn2dR8-aDdbyqsUZjAo4_RR4vO-Ah3-NL2Adfp1MhcNvR_LsYpEAoK5NWyKe2gwawPSjpBdv9NhldMlF1WkMPpaUDmyKFrvElLLT9TKcMs_SUcLMKHkV4uiVdtebXNPdy_Iqp9mdeS3X8-j76kBC8bdBfa77_eRtd16ifzB5FQ75xjJOYRfbc1LZT2pmOP8FEMPZzOMcT2bweILbeqQfwYJ_X_8cNJvfRnUqYAZjr7ffsBRROsq5FE36svI4f2XiOjjwO1NOxQ_Di_g7TDn4ZI-YscKxVi-LNWdlicL3xVdLczmVD3cQXF1BmOstblpsfOxS9JSb0Y5lGYiz-r2-JwMq9Cq48px980dgi_HkPt99jQvFi22wcUFuQigqqge_k1FWVJwPO8CMUqH3aESiq43sgLrXtay-iLkWlfWH4ckkmteM1LWqbShnbaph6pR0Fb0V1lhCdR7Cjc7lLu4yqnAHOFZwjddACD1nVKebBfC5J0mDm5eRMTwMaNhWOCgE8gcu4trZ03Cxpbb1gG-jJ7YwXlu-5I8fnIacKFIKfjEC_PabXOD9_H6hKsjyvHXyXYguKML40I6OuZh9i6F3QaC-o5DIBTDim-RpYiSIljbgSNYdUz6XfXwTtSgsHp4g6ZiSQTVCyhDEQosnhs=w640-h480-no?authuser=0

41 minutes ago, Selden said:

In addition to the hydraulic clutch, did the R1100RS also have the spline issues that plagued many of the 1150 series? I replaced the clutch on my 1999RT myself, and I was surprised that at 97,000 miles, the splines looked like they had just been machined.

Evening Selden

The 1100RS had a 5 speed trans so very few spline failures. 

szurszewski
3 hours ago, Selden said:

17Q6u-3L6ucUQX9ktTFkT5IhPPkS2TqBaMEDPKNIJLC1MJn2dR8-aDdbyqsUZjAo4_RR4vO-Ah3-NL2Adfp1MhcNvR_LsYpEAoK5NWyKe2gwawPSjpBdv9NhldMlF1WkMPpaUDmyKFrvElLLT9TKcMs_SUcLMKHkV4uiVdtebXNPdy_Iqp9mdeS3X8-j76kBC8bdBfa77_eRtd16ifzB5FQ75xjJOYRfbc1LZT2pmOP8FEMPZzOMcT2bweILbeqQfwYJ_X_8cNJvfRnUqYAZjr7ffsBRROsq5FE36svI4f2XiOjjwO1NOxQ_Di_g7TDn4ZI-YscKxVi-LNWdlicL3xVdLczmVD3cQXF1BmOstblpsfOxS9JSb0Y5lGYiz-r2-JwMq9Cq48px980dgi_HkPt99jQvFi22wcUFuQigqqge_k1FWVJwPO8CMUqH3aESiq43sgLrXtay-iLkWlfWH4ckkmteM1LWqbShnbaph6pR0Fb0V1lhCdR7Cjc7lLu4yqnAHOFZwjddACD1nVKebBfC5J0mDm5eRMTwMaNhWOCgE8gcu4trZ03Cxpbb1gG-jJ7YwXlu-5I8fnIacKFIKfjEC_PabXOD9_H6hKsjyvHXyXYguKML40I6OuZh9i6F3QaC-o5DIBTDim-RpYiSIljbgSNYdUz6XfXwTtSgsHp4g6ZiSQTVCyhDEQosnhs=w640-h480-no?authuser=0

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Selden

I suspect Selden May have meant to ask about the R1100S, but I’m not sure. 

If so, I don’t know the overall numbers, but of the two S bikes I have, one (2004) did have that failure right about 40k miles. It currently has 48k, and I’m hoping it makes it to at least 80k before a repeat...

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Selden

Thanks DR, for catching my typo; I meant R1100S, not R1100RS.

szurszewski
13 minutes ago, Selden said:

Thanks DR, for catching my typo; I meant R1100S, not R1100RS.

I don’t get any credit for that???  :dopeslap:

spacewrench
4 hours ago, szurszewski said:

If so, I don’t know the overall numbers, but of the two S bikes I have, one (2004) did have that failure right about 40k miles. It currently has 48k, and I’m hoping it makes it to at least 80k before a repeat...

Did you install the extended-hub clutch disc from Beemer Boneyard?  I put one on, and took a peek up in the starter hole yesterday just before reassembling that.  IIRC, with the OEM clutch, you can see the input-shaft splines there, but the extended-hub clutch goes as far back as you can see -- it must get pretty close to the input shaft seal.

I suspect that I could have even used my old input shaft for a while longer with the extended-hub disc -- the splines just forward of the input shaft seal were pristine, and the splines on the front end of the shaft were sorta kinda OK too.  It's the splines about 1/3 of the way forward from the transmission that get scalloped out and sharpened (at least, that's what happened on my bike).

InputShaft.jpg

szurszewski

I didn’t do the work. I think it was performed by the dealer in Seattle, and my guess is they used oem parts.