IGNORED

Sena Momentum Pro Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Sena Momentum Pro Helmet Review

We all know Sena as being one of the leading brands when it comes to helmet-to-helmet communications and video/still camera recording. But did you know they came out with a new helmet design that incorporates both technologies? It’s called the Momentum Pro.

Momentum Pro Helmet 1

Let’s begin with the camera. It’s permanently mounted to the top center of the helmet and gives you a 135° field of view. The Quad HD camera is similar to Sena’s 10C Pro in resolution options and can be controlled from either one nicely sized button on the camera, or Sena’s smartphone app. With the smartphone app it’s easy to manipulate all of the settings and also see live what’s the camera is viewing. You can also review from your smartphone what was just recorded, as well as upload to social media site or email.

The memory capacity of the camera holds a maximum of a 64G on microSD that’s Class 10 or higher. That translates to about two hours of recording at either 30 fps @ 1440p, or 60 fps @ 1080p. My testing suggests the better resolution of 60 fps at 1080p for smoother video. And, while recording video, the audio and or music is captured from whatever you are hearing inside your helmet.

Now onto the communication system. This unit allows up to eight riders to be linked at the same time. And, incorporates an Advance Noise Control that truly helps to brighten up the audio quality. The operation of the Bluetooth v4.1 comm system utilizes three buttons to navigate settings for the FM radio, intercom, mobile phone functions including music from your smartphone. If you don’t want to fiddle with buttons, you can alternatively use voice commands which I found pretty handy.

As usual, with terrain being the biggest factor, you get about a mile range in open areas for helmet to helmet communications.

The Momentum Pro Helmet itself is built around a composite fiberglass shell; I found it adequate for the price. Although it lacks a drop-down sunshade, it does come with an anti-fog Pinlock. Sizes are XS–2XL with two color options: matte black or gloss white.

Venting is good with two closable vents, one in the mouth area and another just above your forehead. There’s also a sleek horizontal three-inch-long exhaust port along the center back which works well in creating air flow. It’s a comfortable helmet to wear without any “hot spots” of irritation anywhere along my head. And the strap is a typical D-ring style we’re all so accustomed to.

Momentum Pro Helmet 2

A nice touch is the reflective panel on the neck roll as well as water resistant covers for the charging port and the microSD port. Speaking of the charging port, you can charge the battery while in use, which then only limits you to the microSD’s capacity.

The Momentum Pro is backed with a five-year warranty and a two-year warranty for the electronic components.

Sena did a good job with the Momentum Pro in putting together a product chock full of easy-to-use capabilities. Though this was their first camera and comm built into a helmet, I hope they extrapolate with next year’s models offering more creature comforts/options such as a drop down sun visor, perhaps a modular, or maybe a peak to give it an ADVenture flare.

Sena.com
MSRP: $699

•PROS:

• Good quality camera
  • Proven communication system
  • Value for what you get
  • Adequate venting
  • Water resistant for both the helmet and electronics

•CONS:

• Only two color options
  • No drop-down sun visor option
lSpiy08-wAw