IGNORED

Tires for Las Vegas roads/weather?

Shelter Dog

Shelter Dog

Advice needed!  I own a 1996 R1100R modded bike with currently Continental Trail Attack 2 tires.  I'm originally from New York metro area and rode 95/5% road/trail.  Just moved to Las Vegas last spring and I quickly discovered that their highway entrance/exit ramps are frighteningly slick with oil that never washes off from rain or road salts(not used here) My Conti's have zero traction on slick ramps and even the mildest acceleration causes slipping and sliding.

I'd like to keep an adventure touring tire set up because I anticipate riding more on hard pack and fire trails but I commute daily and those slicks are going to kill me one day if I don't find any better tires to deal with the slicks.  Suggestions???

IMG_7643.jpg

Tires can help, but as you have already pointed out the bigger issue is with oil and dirt that accumulate especially at the end of exit ramps.  What can make matter worse is AC condensate on top of the oil and dirt. (nowhere near as bad in Las Vegas as compared to humid Houston but an issue) .  Nothing can overcome such a nasty combination so that is all about awareness.  The Pilot Road series of tires have a very good wet weather reputation.

Shelter Dog

Wouldn't you agree that wet road handling features are more for water siping, but not features that would address oily surfaces?

I'm wondering it their is a tire produced whose compound(s) and tread design are better suited for slick oily surfaces?

Thanks for the feed back, I'll look into the Pilots.

Eli

1 minute ago, Shelter Dog said:

Wouldn't you agree that wet road handling features are more for water siping, but not features that would address oily surfaces?

I'm wondering it their is a tire produced whose compound(s) and tread design are better suited for slick oily surfaces?

Thanks for the feed back, I'll look into the Pilots.

Eli

I'm sure there are some tires that are better than others as far as traction is concerned in your situation, but I don't recall any discussion along those lines.  Siping is definitely there to deal with water.  Give the post some time and I'm sure others will chime in.

I don't believe any manufacturer would claim good traction in chemically altered surfaces, be they petroleum, anti freeze, whatever.  I do think it boils down to the most effective grip.  If one stipulates that, then most soft compound sport tires (not slicks) would be a better choice than a high mileage touring tire.  I also don't think dual sport tires are the answer as they have less rubber on the road.

• Like 1

Cool bike! 

I've got a set of Conti Trail Attacks on my GS as we speak.  Not inpressed with the grip or wear when compaired to the Anakee 3 or the Scorpion Trail II although I havent experianced the issues you are describing.