IGNORED

1999 R1100R Clutch Stopped Working

Glenn Reed

So I picked up a new to me R1100R from Bob's back in January.  6300 miles and in pristine condition.  I had them change out the alternator belt and put on steel braided brake lines beforehand, as these were the two items that left me needing service on a priority basis on the RT.  I hadn't really had a chance to get out and just ride since I got it home, and today looked like a good opportunity to get a feel for it, and enjoy being out of the house!

I had ridden about ten miles, got behind a slower vehicle and on a dotted line, dropped down to second and made the pass, shifted up to third afterwards and kept on moving.  Only problem was, the clutch lever now didn't do anything, and I'm on a two lane road stuck in third gear.  I managed to get home, but it stalled on me going up the driveway.  I had to encourage it to go back down the driveway a bit before I could safely put down the side stand, and that's where it sits.  Good thing we don't have any need to move the cars, and my truck is out on the street.

I assumed I had just snapped the 21 year old cable, but when I pull on the lever, the corresponding lever on the right hand side, aft of the throttle body, moves correspondingly.  There is almost no resistance when I pull the lever.

Any thoughts before I call the AMA for towing back to Bob's on Tuesday?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Glenn Reed said:

So I picked up a new to me R1100R from Bob's back in January.  6300 miles and in pristine condition.  I had them change out the alternator belt and put on steel braided brake lines beforehand, as these were the two items that left me needing service on a priority basis on the RT.  I hadn't really had a chance to get out and just ride since I got it home, and today looked like a good opportunity to get a feel for it, and enjoy being out of the house!

I had ridden about ten miles, got behind a slower vehicle and on a dotted line, dropped down to second and made the pass, shifted up to third afterwards and kept on moving.  Only problem was, the clutch lever now didn't do anything, and I'm on a two lane road stuck in third gear.  I managed to get home, but it stalled on me going up the driveway.  I had to encourage it to go back down the driveway a bit before I could safely put down the side stand, and that's where it sits.  Good thing we don't have any need to move the cars, and my truck is out on the street.

I assumed I had just snapped the 21 year old cable, but when I pull on the lever, the corresponding lever on the right hand side, aft of the throttle body, moves correspondingly.  There is almost no resistance when I pull the lever.

Any thoughts before I call the AMA for towing back to Bob's on Tuesday?

Thanks.

Afternoon Glenn 

I don't know what lever ( corresponding lever on the right hand side, aft of the throttle body) you are refining to as the clutch release lever on your 1100 is on the rear of the transmission.

In any case I have seen the actual (clutch release lever)  on the rear of the transmission, snap or break (so check that) .

I have also seen the adjustment screw nut on that lever come loose then screw backs out then you have no clutch release (so also check that).

You could also have a bad bearing in the clutch release lever or the clutch release push rod worn through the clutch spring center (unlikely but possible).

If you want to ride the bike up your driveway, put it on the center stand, start the engine in neutral, then kick it into 1st gear, then while sitting on or straddling the motorcycle rock it forward off of the center stand while giving it a little throttle (very little throttle . 

Thanks for the quick reply DR.

Both of these are of the lever I was referring to on the throttle side of the bike.  One shows the lever that is at the end of the clutch cable, at rest.

The other shows its position when the clutch lever is pulled back all the way, and this lever goes forward.

I hope that helps.

Thanks.

20200419_170736.jpg

20200419_170803.jpg

1 hour ago, Glenn Reed said:

Thanks for the quick reply DR.

Both of these are of the lever I was referring to on the throttle side of the bike.  One shows the lever that is at the end of the clutch cable, at rest.

The other shows its position when the clutch lever is pulled back all the way, and this lever goes forward.

I hope that helps.

Thanks.

Evening Glen 

In your lower picture the clutch release lever is all the way forward so something wrong from the lever itself, to a loose adjuster bolt, to a failed release bearing,  to the push rod, or in the clutch itself. Adjuster nut & bolt "look" OK  but make sure. 

You need to start at the lever & work your way in until you find the problem.

EWnfa2a.jpg

It looks to me like the locknut in your second picture (crooked red arrow in DR's picture) is backed off. My bet is that the locknut is loose and the adjuster has backed out until you have no actuation. 

You can probably reach in from the  left side and tighten that bolt until you have 7 mm of play at the lever, then squeeze in the clutch and tighten the locknut.

• 1 month later...

So two things kept me from making any progress on this:

1) I couldn't figure out how to get to the bolt to do any adjusting, and

2) I couldn't figure out how in the heck the mechanism could go from absolutely fine to completely out of adjustment - between shifts.

Had the AMA load it up, take it to Bob's and all they did was get the clutch back in adjustment.  Ridden it 300 miles since with no problems.

Much to learn, and much thanks to Jim and DR for their attempts to help.

• Like 1