IGNORED

Is this normal??

red102

I have a new to me R1100RT. Just picked it up yesterday. I went for a 5 mile ride tonight & upon return to my garage I put the bike on the centerstand & did a walk around as something smelled really hot. The right side exhast manifold was glowing red, the left side only slight red. I wasn't dogging it. I've never noticed any of my other bikes manifolds getting this hot. Is this normal? Thanks.

Perchance were you walking around admiring it(on the centerstand)while it was still running? It only takes about 5 minutes for the headers to get hot enough to melt the tupperware if the bike is already up to temperature. I never did this. But, only because I've read about it here. clap.gif

I usually do a quick walkaround (about 15 seconds) then shut it down on the side stand. After about 15 minutes (+/- 12.6 seconds wink.gif) put it on the centerstand and check the oil.

Here’s the long answer. BMW boxers run hot, especially in a warm climate at low speeds. At night, I can peek down at the pipes on my ’01 GS and see them heated to a dark cherry red color. This is normal.

If your engine had been shut off and you still observed the red color, this indicates very hot pipes. You may have a mixture problem or exhaust valve(s) not seating.

Here is how I would proceed;

1- Remove both spark plugs and read their color. The tips should be light gray with some darker deposits on the center electrode and ceramic. If they show white or evidence of becoming very hot, you may be running lean.

2- If the plugs read dark or sooty black, your engine may be too rich.

3- Perform a TB sync. If when attempting to do the TB sync, you have difficulty getting the cylinders to balance, this may indicate a valve lash adjustment issue. Perform a valve lash adjustment.

4- Check the air filter. Is it clogged or blocked? Also, check the air intake snorkel. Critters sometimes take up residence in the snorkel on BMWs.

5- Check your oil. Smell it and observe its color. Vary dark oil with a burned smell is an indication of overheating.

6- If the problem persists, see a BMW dealer.

7- When adjusted properly, at night you will be able to see the front (curved portion) of your pipes glowing a dark red. As you increase speed, the glowing usually disappears.

How does the bike run otherwise? Is the idle normal and smooth? What RPM does it idle at? Is there any backfiring or rough running in the low RPM range (2000-4000 RPM)?

Provide some more details and we’ll continue to help diagnose any problem.

Perchance were you walking around admiring it(on the centerstand)while it was still running? It only takes about 5 minutes for the headers to get hot enough to melt the tupperware if the bike is already up to temperature. I never did this. But, only because I've read about it here. clap.gif

I usually do a quick walkaround (about 15 seconds) then shut it down on the side stand. After about 15 minutes (+/- 12.6 seconds wink.gif) put it on the centerstand and check the oil.

I pulled into the garage directly into my wheel chock, got off the bike & looked at the exhaust manifold because I could smell something very hot.

What are u supposed to do if stuck in stop & go traffic if it gets hot enough to melt the fairing?

Here’s the long answer. BMW boxers run hot, especially in a warm climate at low speeds. At night, I can peek down at the pipes on my ’01 GS and see them heated to a dark cherry red color. This is normal.

If your engine had been shut off and you still observed the red color, this indicates very hot pipes. You may have a mixture problem or exhaust valve(s) not seating.

Here is how I would proceed;

1- Remove both spark plugs and read their color. The tips should be light gray with some darker deposits on the center electrode and ceramic. If they show white or evidence of becoming very hot, you may be running lean.

2- If the plugs read dark or sooty black, your engine may be too rich.

3- Perform a TB sync. If when attempting to do the TB sync, you have difficulty getting the cylinders to balance, this may indicate a valve lash adjustment issue. Perform a valve lash adjustment.

4- Check the air filter. Is it clogged or blocked? Also, check the air intake snorkel. Critters sometimes take up residence in the snorkel on BMWs.

5- Check your oil. Smell it and observe its color. Vary dark oil with a burned smell is an indication of overheating.

6- If the problem persists, see a BMW dealer.

7- When adjusted properly, at night you will be able to see the front (curved portion) of your pipes glowing a dark red. As you increase speed, the glowing usually disappears.

How does the bike run otherwise? Is the idle normal and smooth? What RPM does it idle at? Is there any backfiring or rough running in the low RPM range (2000-4000 RPM)?

Provide some more details and we’ll continue to help diagnose any problem.

I picked the bike up from the BMW mechanic yesterday. He changed the oil/filter, air filter, new spark plugs, valve adj., tb synch.

The bike had been sitting at the dealership for approx a year when I purchased it which was last Wed. When I test drove it, it ran rough between 2500 & 4000 rpms. I spoke w/the BMW mechanic & he told me he could get that out. But it is still running now like it did before while test riding. Doesn't feel like a surge, more like a miss. The bike idles great. Idle rpm approx 1050. When I picked the bike up yesterday, the mechanic told me that it still had a little miss but these bikes need to be ridden & it will work out. Sounds like hogwash to me.

As I see it, your mechanic still has work to do...rough running is frequently an indication of fuel delivery problems but, coils and ignition items could be the cause, as well.

If they can't fix it, get your money back.

When I picked the bike up yesterday, the mechanic told me that it still had a little miss but these bikes need to be ridden & it will work out. Sounds like hogwash to me.

Hogwash would be my assessment as well...no-no, not the bike...the mechanic...

Just a note here, BMW RTs have been known to catch fire from overheating...remind the mechanic of that when you bring it back.

Also, if the bike sat for a year, the fuel filter, fuel injectors and other fuel system components may have varnished from stale fuel.

This is usually corrected with a new fuel filter and a fuel system additive such as Techron. But, I would place the burden on the BMW dealer to fix it on his dime with his BMW technician.

When I picked the bike up yesterday, the mechanic told me that it still had a little miss but these bikes need to be ridden & it will work out. Sounds like hogwash to me.

Hogwash would be my assessment as well...no-no, not the bike...the mechanic...

Just a note here, BMW RTs have been known to catch fire from overheating...remind the mechanic of that when you bring it back.

Also, if the bike sat for a year, the fuel filter, fuel injectors and other fuel system components may have varnished from stale fuel.

This is usually corrected with a new fuel filter and a fuel system additive such as Techron. But, I would place the burden on the BMW dealer to fix it on his dime with his BMW technician.

They did put in a new filter but didn't change the gasoline out.

The manifold was red not in the curve but where the manifold bolts to the head.

Sounds to me like she's running really lean?

I'll take her back Tuesday.

You're doing the right thing...stale (old) fuel has reduced RVP and octane and may be detonating causing the heat. Have them flush and fill with fresh fuel.

You're doing the right thing...stale (old) fuel has reduced RVP and octane and may be detonating causing the heat. Have them flush and fill with fresh fuel.

If the fuel is old just put 200 miles on it and refill the tank. Flushing and replacing it sounds like a waste of time to me.

The rough running between 2500 and 4000 sounds like it may just be the TADT surge. Are you sure it is missing?

ShovelStrokeEd

You can probably fix this yourself. Down to the local auto parts store and pick up a can of Sea Foam fuel injector cleaner. Follow directions on the label in terms of mixing strength and dump it in there, along with as much fresh gas as you can. Go for a ride, at least a tankful or more, just don't be too hard on the motor till it smooths out.

Side note: A little methynol will probably do the same thing although it may be harder to obtain.

quote:

If the fuel is old just put 200 miles on it and refill the tank. Flushing and replacing it sounds like a waste of time to me.

The rough running between 2500 and 4000 sounds like it may just be the TADT surge. Are you sure it is missing?

Feels like a miss to me. This is the first BMW I have owned or ridden. The rpm's don't change, the motor has sporadic jerks between 2500 & 4000 rpms.

More than the miss, my big concern is how hot the exhaust manifold was getting last night. It was hot enough to glow red & was giving off an odor.

My RT had a surge when I bought it, and it had been given impeccible care! There is a difference between surging and missing. If your bike seems to "hunt" for a smooth rpm, especially when on flat ground and trying to hold a steady speed. Missing, is exactly that. I'm not trying to insult your (or anybody else's) intelligence, but it seems that sometimes these two terms get intermingled.

Bad, or old gas will cause a missing problem for sure. I sold my old J bike to a fellow last June. From June to April, he had put only 48 miles on it and resold it to my nephew. I went to get it for my nephew, and it wouldn't run AT ALL. I suspected a coil. But my brother told me to drain the fuel (much easier to do on an old J bike)refill it and ride the doody out of it. I did, and it runs as well as ever. So, the fuel could be the root of your problems. Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, or Techron, are all good fuel system cleaners. My personal preference is to not go for a long ride and run it through as fast as you can, but rather take a few short rides and let the bike sit overnight to let the fresh fuel cleaner have time to attack the gunk in the TBs and other intimate places.

The others are right though. Don't let the dealer get away with pawning off a bad running bike on you. Make them get it right and you'll be surprised how much you'll love your Beemer.

Archived