IGNORED

04 RT Should I have kept it and fixed it?

Cedarone

Hi all, I have not been on for quite some time but have an issue to ask opinions about. I purchased an perfect condition 04 RT that had 10,600 miles on it when purchased. I loved the looks of the 04 model although I know that the newer models are better in many ways. I also own a 2015 GSW.  I went for a ride on the RT

a few weeks ago and parked in a lot where a lady backed into the bike, knocking it over on the right side. The fairing was gouged, not cracked below the headlight, The right cylinder head cover cracked(oil all over the ground), right hand footrest broken and the new condition tour pack was significantly scraped up. Both mirrors came off and the left side directional signal wire was hanging so the fastener inside the mirror housing was damaged. Bike was transported to BMW. Her insurance totaled the bike. I was offered $2973.65 toward repair and $4532.65 if they took it. Several people told me to take the money rather than fix it and BMW said that in perfect condition, they could not sell that bike for $4500.00. BMW quoted the insurance company over $5000 for the total repair. I let the bike go but am deciding whether to bid on it when it is auctioned or just put the funds toward a newer bike, taking into consideration that it is a 16 year old machine. 

I guess it depends on how much attachment you really have to keep the bike? Can be it be repaired back to the same condition as before for the amount offered toward repair or will you have to put many into it? Was the cost to repair given by the BMW dealer? I have an 04 1100S that is not perfect by any means but would probably have it repaired if that had occurred to me because I really like that year. I also have a 16 RS. Good luck in making a decision only you can make.

8 minutes ago, Cedarone said:

Hi all, I have not been on for quite some time but have an issue to ask opinions about. I purchased an perfect condition 04 RT that had 10,600 miles on it when purchased. I loved the looks of the 04 model although I know that the newer models are better in many ways. I also own a 2015 GSW.  I went for a ride on the RT

a few weeks ago and parked in a lot where a lady backed into the bike, knocking it over on the right side. The fairing was gouged, not cracked below the headlight, The right cylinder head cover cracked(oil all over the ground), right hand footrest broken and the new condition tour pack was significantly scraped up. Both mirrors came off and the left side directional signal wire was hanging so the fastener inside the mirror housing was damaged. Bike was transported to BMW. Her insurance totaled the bike. I was offered $2973.65 toward repair and $4532.65 if they took it. Several people told me to take the money rather than fix it and BMW said that in perfect condition, they could not sell that bike for $4500.00. BMW quoted the insurance company over $5000 for the total repair. I let the bike go but am deciding whether to bid on it when it is auctioned or just put the funds toward a newer bike, taking into consideration that it is a 16 year old machine. 

Afternoon  Cedarone

You probably did the right thing. Repairing a damaged BMW oilhead can end up costing a lot more than you ever imagined. Not to mention the time & effort involved in chasing down the parts & the labor to install. 

You never know as it might have a bent subframe or other hidden damage.

If you want another 1150RT you can take the insurance money & buy a fairly nice one for that $4500, or add a little more & buy a really nice pristine 1150RT. 

You did the right thing financially. If you liked the bike buy it and fix it up. It will never be worth anything as far as resale so don't pay a lot of money. A grand, maybe?

Financially, you did the right thing. If you buy it back, there are lots of parts available on the web. You don't have to use BMW OEM parts. In conversation with my mechanic on a bike he was repairing with a crash-cracked head, he said that you have to replace the o-ring seals under the head screws because most of the time they get crushed. This was on an 1100 but may be different on a 1150.

How do you know where it will be auctioned?

Miguel

szurszewski

I agree that taking the money was the right choice - the only reason to have that bike repaired by a shop would be if you absolutely loved it and had so much money you didn't care what you spent. Even repaired to perfect, in most states at least, it would still have a branded title and be worth very little. 

However, if you've got space, if you can get it back cheaply, and if you are up for a project, it might be fun to buy it back. If you just wanted a rider, and the subframe etc weren't damaged, you could have it rolling/running/riding for probably very little. If you care if it's pretty that will cost more - if you got lucky you might find a matching bike being parted for the plastics, or even another color RT where you could get a whole set and change color. 

Personally I've long thought it would be fun to make a Harlequin RT where each panel was a different factory color...but I've been told I have unusual tastes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

...but I've been told I have unusual tastes. 

Whatchu talkin’ bout, Willis!

6D14EBDA-53DB-459A-BA27-277498645B8E.thumb.jpeg.6835a2cb57528a16544220a811a0a977.jpeg

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies. It had been a perfect condition 04 as I said. I paid $6000 for it a few years ago and they are going to give me 4532.65 for it. The Servo brakes could be an issue down the road as well as final drive. I did love the bike and had planned to keep it forever but maybe it is for the best. Also dinged the bar end and I would have replaced is as well. No structural damage that I am aware of but I do not know if I could have repaired , painted etc to get it back in perfect condition for the $2900+ they were going to give me. 

04 RT, sexiest looking bike ever.  I would probably take the $4500 and try to find another nice used one.  I don't know where you're located, but there's 19 2004 RTs on Cycle Trader.  Good luck.

2004 R 1150 RT

• 3 weeks later...

how useful are those additional handlebar mirrors over the normal ones? I saw the holes, never occurred to me to actually put mirrors in them since it already has mirrors...

szurszewski
58 minutes ago, bacos said:

how useful are those additional handlebar mirrors over the normal ones? I saw the holes, never occurred to me to actually put mirrors in them since it already has mirrors...

Depending on your size, the fairing mirrors can end up showing you your arms/shoulders. If so, the auxiliary mirrors can be quite useful. 

22 hours ago, bacos said:

When I go camping, I lay a large duffel across the rear seat.  The first time I did that after buying the bike, I realized I could not see anything behind me.  I put KRS mirrors so I could see over the duffel and see what was coming up on me.  For the first few years, I would put the mirrors on each time I went camping and take them off when I got home.  At some point I said the hell with that and now just leave them on all the time.