IGNORED

05 RT cracked throttle cams

vhntr1

Well shi.... I had my Tupperware of my bike doing all my mantnece for the season,well I thought I would check the plastic cams and they are bouth cracked,the bike has 63,000 miles on it.I don't know for sure witch way to go I am a so so mechanic but I think taking this job on myself might be too much,I thought about sending them to Beamer bits but their a little pricey,looking for advice for my situation.

thanks to all 

11 hours ago, vhntr1 said:

Well shi.... I had my Tupperware of my bike doing all my mantnece for the season,well I thought I would check the plastic cams and they are bouth cracked,the bike has 63,000 miles on it.I don't know for sure witch way to go I am a so so mechanic but I think taking this job on myself might be too much,I thought about sending them to Beamer bits but their a little pricey,looking for advice for my situation.

thanks to all 

Morning vhntr1

You don't have a lot of choices, 'Beamer Bits' is not nearly as expensive as buying new throttle bodies from BMW.  Used throttle bodies from E-Bay is a big crap shoot with a large number having cracks, you can try Bing USA as they will install new plastic cams or full cams/shafts but (personally) I'm not enthused with how they re-time the base idle screw settings.

You can buy the parts from Bing USA cams-on-new-shafts, then install them yourself but that is a bit fiddly with some basic mechanical knowledge involved. 

Here is a write up that I did a while back on installing the cams/shafts yourself with re-setting the base idle screws.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/92006-posted-to-see-how-a-tb-shaft-install-how-to-reads-in-a-full-thread/

Thanks DR for the reply,I have a friend that was a BMW tech at a dealership 20 years ago maybe he can assist me,do you have a link were I can buy the parts?

thanks!

10 minutes ago, vhntr1 said:

Thanks DR for the reply,I have a friend that was a BMW tech at a dealership 20 years ago maybe he can assist me,do you have a link were I can buy the parts?

thanks!

Evening  vhntr1

Here are the shafts with cams already installed__ (link below)

Your screws should be re-usable, same with the clips if you have the proper tool to remove them, the cap is a bit difficult to remove so maybe buy a new cap just in case (all the caps I have removed have all been removable without damage but it can be a bit tricky). Probably don't need plastic bushings  but yours might be worn a little. 

http://bingcarburetor.com/store/p134/Type_77_Throttle_Body_Pulley_%26_Shaft_Assembly.html

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Here are the shafts with cams already installed__ (link below)

Are these improved parts or same crappy plastic will eventually break design?

Making me want to remove my tupperware to have a look.

Any special cover to remove or should this cracked area be visually accessible once plastic is off?

Take all the plastic off a light and a mirror and you can see them very easily,go to utube and look up max bmw they have a video that shows you how to remove the plastic.

15 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Are these improved parts or same crappy plastic will eventually break design?

Making me want to remove my tupperware to have a look.

Any special cover to remove or should this cracked area be visually accessible once plastic is off?

Morning Bigfish

The ones that I have installed looked to be exactly the same as the originals. I haven't seen any of the replacements break but none that I have installed have many years on them yet. 

Once you get access to the throttle bodies you need to slide the plastic covers (the covers that cover the  throttle body cams)  up the throttle cables to uncover the throttle cams, then use a small mirror & strong light to view the throttle cams.

There are mold lines on the plastic cams so don't confuse those with cracks. 

zsZPTEq.jpg

Great pic DR. I will check mine soon. Thanks for the description... that helps greatly.

My bike almost has 30,000 so fingers crossed. 

12 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Great pic DR. I will check mine soon. Thanks for the description... that helps greatly.

My bike almost has 30,000 so fingers crossed. 

Afternoon Bigfish

Nothing confirmed but from my past experiences it seems to be more of a time period & number of engine heating & cooling cycles  than actual miles traveled.  

I did a 2009 1200rt last fall that only had 13,000  miles on it. On side with a little crack & the other side with 2 large cracks.

I ordered all my parts today if they arrive in time this will be next weekend project,are there any tips DR on removing the throttle body's?

thanks 

11 hours ago, vhntr1 said:

I ordered all my parts today if they arrive in time this will be next weekend project,are there any tips DR on removing the throttle body's?

thanks 

Morning vhntr1

Best advice on removing the throttle bodies is to get the correct pliers to remove the clamps on the TB boots. (very easy to damage the clamps if wrong tool is used)

If you try to pry or use the incorrect tool there is great chance that you will distort the clamps or bend the clamp retention area tits then you end up with loose or leaking clamps, or worse they snap open while riding. 

Be very careful in removing the throttle cables so you don't break the cable adjuster barrels at TB bracket.

Your can leave the TB boots connected to the cyl heads & air box  then pull/work the TB's out of the rubber boots & off the bike. 

When re-installing the TB's  don't forget to install the plastic covers on the throttle cables BEFORE installing the cables into the throttle bodies. 

Above all-- if something doesn't seem right or feel right then STOP & understand why that is happening before proceeding.  

2 hours ago, vhntr1 said:

Thanks DR I was wondering about the small silver clip that is by the throttle cable?

Morning vhntr1

That clip is to retain the throttle cable adjuster.

5JCMczz.jpg

Thanks does that clip have to be removed to take the throttle cable off?sory for bugging you I just don't want to break anything.

9 minutes ago, vhntr1 said:

Thanks does that clip have to be removed to take the throttle cable off?sory for bugging you I just don't want to break anything.

Morning vhntr1

Nothing special or extreme, sometimes the cable will just pull out of the clip with a little tug & on others you need use a small screwdriver to reach in & deflect the clip a little.

Just don't force it (be gentle),  use common sense. 

Don't forget to remove the throttle cable from the TB cam before pulling the cable out  (you can rotate the big TB cam against the spring in the open direction then work the cable barrel out of the hole with the cable coming out through the cam slot.

10 minutes ago, vhntr1 said:

Good evening DR do you have a link to purchase the pliers I need to remove the clamps.

thanks

Evening vhntr1

No link but you can search for them on line, just search for (CV joint earless boot clamp pliers).

You can usually buy or even rent or borrow CV joint earless boot clamp pliers from a local auto parts store as those low profile boot clamp pliers are used on automotive front wheel drive low profile axle boot clamps. 

c3mBAI7.jpg

Set of pliers ordered and some supper thin feeler gauges on the way ,have DR instructions printed off when it all gets here I should be good to go!