IGNORED

Throttle body noise?

flat_twin

A couple weeks ago I started hearing an occasional sharp ticking sound coming from the right cylinder. Today I pulled the right side tupperware and isolated the sound to the throttle body. The valves sound normal. The noise is loudest when the throttle is opened slightly and can even be felt if you lay a finger on the throttle body. At idle, it's still there but not as loud. At higher rpms I don't notice it much. The left TB sounds fine. Anyone BTDT?

Thanks!

How many miles on the bike? Sounds like you might have some wear in the throttle plate shaft, not an uncommon thing. Not a big deal unless there is a lot of slop or the noise is just too annoying, in which case... time for a new throttle body. Sometimes a similar noise is caused by the throttle linkage bumping against the idle stop, but if this is happening with the throttle slightly open then that's probably not the cause in this case.

It's a 99RT with 53K miles. I think you're right about the shaft. I was feeling around the TB while the bike was running just now and could make the noise stop if I put a little pressure on the cable pully. I could also make it worse by pushing away on the cable pully.

So the only fix is to replace the throttle body? Is a low mileage unit just as good as a new one?

I had exactly the same thing - are you having any trouble balancing the TBs? Mine got worse and worse until it was imppossible to get it to even idle smoothly. Unfortunately you have to replace both TBs, they come as a factory matched pair, about $600, probably less from Chicago.

I checked the valves and TB sync 4k miles ago. A slight idle adjustment was needed but the cables were fine. It seems to be idling ok right now. The tick sound was my main concern. How bad did yours get before you replaced both TBs? If they're matched pairs, a pair from the same donor bike would work also right? ( note to self...quit dreamin, you'll never find a pair like that when you need em!)

ShovelStrokeEd

Beemer Bonyard often has a couple of sets available. Also, no real need to buy the pair, you can simply do the zero=zero procedure to reset the throttle stops, even on an 1150 (gasp).

quit dreamin, you'll never find a pair like that when you need em!
If you're not in desperate shape just keep patiently looking for a donor bike... here, IBMWR, etc... something perfect is bound to show up over a year's time or so.
Bob Palin

The ticking noise had become loud enough that I could hear it all the time at low revs, louder than a loose valve for sure. I first noticed it at about 40K miles but they only got replaced at 88K when the transmission went and I mentioned the noise to a mechanic. Doesn't tick any more at 105K.

flat_twin

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll keep an eye out for a low mileage used TB. At least it's not a problem needing immediate attention.

Archived