IGNORED

Report: On a Wing and a Prayer in Torrey

David

Just a short Tale of Torrey, in staccato style.

Had to cancel planned trip with Hawkins and Bearden. Couldn't be away 10 days. Very disappointed. Began to ponder an alternative: fly into Salt Lake City and rent bike.

R1150R fell through. Only thing left was Goldwing or VTX. Went grandfather route. Flew into SLC Thursday night late. Caught part of lunar eclipse from hotel parking lot.

moon.jpg

Picked up bike early Friday. Got used to bike a bit with 40 mile ride to Provo. Hooked up with Steve Asvitt (Montana Hoon, and in charge of Torrey outing) at great bakery. Ate too many cream cheese cinnamon rolls. Waited for Flint for few mins, but finally determined still stuck at dealer. Left.

All back roads to Torrey. Normally about 175 miles, but did 310 miles. Steve A. can ride a K12RS. He was kind enough to wait up every once in awhile as I got used to Wing. Bottom line, compared to K12RS: less power, less lean, more weight. He did say the fastest he'd made that route. Steve, real pleasure to spend time with you. Thanks for work organizing Torrey and kind hospitality leading me there.

Pulled into Torrey, rode past big group to fill up. Were burning fuel like aircraft carrier group. At Chevron, see Russell fueling up Tony's K12RS (he'd borrowed for trip). He said: "wanna do a run through Capital Reef?" "Sure"--hadn't even taken our gear off. Fuel up and head out.

Russell led fast pace, but hadn't run route on K12RS yet, and since bike was borrowed, took it easier. Gave me a little time to figure out Wing on roads. Turned around after 47 miles, and Steve A. led a blistering pace back. Russell was over "borrowed bike" thing and made it sing. About 40 miles into return run, Steve yanked off his shifter peg. He turned around and got it out of dirt.

stevea.jpg

I was only one and one-half mins behind them at that point. But riding Wing like that is full of drama. In spite of how little effect it has, must lean off to get extra cm of lean angle. Looks pretty stupid riding it like sport bike. Letting peg drag all around corner must have some Honda engineer crying! grin.gif Eventually determined best approach is to hang onto tank with outside leg and keep inside leg up just off peg so it can move up/down as needed.

Filled up at Chevron again. Burned 4.7 gals for 95 miles, or just over 20 mpg!! Later, on same run, two-up with Lisa, got 39 mpg. Another sad moment for Honda engineers but a great victory for discovering what a Wing will do.

Pulled into Chuck Wagon after 405 mile day. Met new friends. "Hi" to many old ones. Cleaned up. Attended reception around pool, along with good reminder about keeping speeds down inside town limits.

Then dinner with Russell/Lisa Bynum and Sean/Shelly Daly. A-Red Bill from Washington wandered in later, and he joined us. Great company. Mediocre food.

More hanging out. Smoked some good Fuentes (for Jake). Slept through undulating Richter scale tests from our dearest Fernando (he did provide fair warning).

Got up early Saturday. Rolls and coffee at store. Dick had asked me to ride sweep with "fast" group. Riders choose between hoon, fast, moderate, sightseeing. Someone had written name in that slot, so I figured I'd be optimistic about Wing, after yesterday, and join hoons. Too much to resist. I'm a weak man.

Rode with Steve A. (K12RS), Russell/Lisa (K12RS), Sean/Shelly (R11RT), Gleno (GSX-R1000), SageRider (R11RT), Howard (R11RT). Headed east into Capitol Reef, same as yesterday, but little slower. Rearrange ourselves based on preferred rate. I start about half way into pack. Gleno passed me after getting bored behind Wing (he was more patient than I would have been). I came up on another 1100, and Wing took it (thanks for playing, whoever you were!). Passed Howard, only because he let me, and then waved him around. Sean/Shelly go flying by picking off riders one by one. Then they passed Russell/Lisa on K12RS, but only because of gear selection, me thinks (Russell, don't forget sixth). We are all sorted out by first gas stop, 50 miles into ride. I'm near rear. SageRider is behind riding sweep.

Filled up. Decided to take Lisa next 50 miles to overlook so Russell could enjoy K12RS alone. She wanted to "faster," but not my wife or bike and I was learning Wing two-up. She's a great passenger and it was fun! Thanks, Lisa. Here's panorama from lookout:

canyonnarrow.jpg

If good, big monitor, click here for bigger expanse from same angle.

Then Shelly joined me. Agreed to go left, or west, back to Torrey. But everyone goes right? What's up? No FRS, so just followed, wondering. Riding like bats out of hell. Scaped right side right away, decided to back off a little. Then realized plan: quick run for a mile or two through 180 degree, fast sweepers. Hit bridge. Hang on, Shelly, for quick u-turn in narrow road on Wing (great slow-speed handling bike). Got some catching up to do, and started getting hang of two up on it. Figured Shelly would be like Lisa and not mind going faster. Passed a number of other riders (not sure who). I query thumbs up to Shelly to make sure this was ok with her. Nearly ripped arm off in slipstream. She motioned ok and I saw her arm flying back in wind! grin.gif

Caught up to another group of 10 bikes or so. Recognized Dick at front (R11RT) followed by Laney (K12RS) and about 8 other bikes. Passed all in straight. Knew someone would take bait. Watching mirrors to see if one would follow. Hit 142 indicated (136 GPS), tapped Shelly's knee and pointed to speedo. This is fun.

Quit looking in rear view mirror for follower, and then hear fast passing K12RS to see "red blur" as Arizona Al and his wife zing buy. Try to catch but can't get above 136 GPS, while he can hold 142 GPS. Dang it. Hate giving Al "jawing" opportunities!

Never caught rest of hoon group, but did pull away from SageRider a couple times. He stretched his throttle cable, probably. Got gas again. Meanwhile, this foolishness has destroyed remainder of rear tires for Russell and Howard. (Russell has broken headlight guard and turn signal lens, too, as sticky rear on Gixxer throws up pebbles.). So they went to Grand Junction and I take Lisa with me for last leg. I'm ready to grant her wish to go faster, but we follow LEO in sneaky F250 pickup for 50 miles. But scenery was great and we were at chatting speeds. Got nearly double mileage, and two-up, at more normal speeds.

Ate a Brinks. Chatted w/ HD group. Clapped for Steve A. who had just earned performance award. Decided good time to quit given how much high speed performance award luck we'd used up. And we were tired after hard morning.

Many take nap, including one of the the site's founding fathers (who will doubtless make me pay dearly for this pix), wearing very appropriate shirt to demonstrate just how much he "needs to ride."

needtoride.jpg

In his dreams he's passing Duhamel in the inside. What a cruel disappointment to wake, eh FB?

Sean/Shelly take the Wing for spin:

wingdaly.jpg

Decided to eat early, since I'd rather suck in SARS oxygen through breathing tube than wait in line for anything. Eat with similarly impatient crew: Tony (on his birthday) and Kim, SageRider, Sean Cavanaugh (another performance award winner day before), Sean/Shelly Daly, Lisa Bynum (Russell still tire shopping), Michael (Birdman, Sean's friend and traitor all at same time), and Fernando.

Nice to meet Steve Carr after all this time. He's a ridin' fool! Decent food. Terrible service. Wonderful company.

Invited to hot tub at Days Inn by Sean/Shelly. Two couples from group there, too. Got out after prune imitation complete. Rode back in wet clothes (brrrr) just in time for....

Don's "memorial service" by Jamie/Leslie, as his life around riding recount. Good job, Jamie. Then ashes sprinkled around tree in parking lot, with Randy's blessing. Good reminder for all of us and it was a good pause.

Police show up for accident report. Mitch's bike fell over in morning, sustaining fairing and frame damage. Too much booze and friendly cop combine to promote all sorts of strange pictures, some involving handcuffs. FB plays great joke on Gleno. Wurty stories now making rounds of LEO community, including APB sheep alert.

Pack late that night, starting to get sad about ending so soon.

Get up at 6:45 Sunday. Meet Sean/Shelly again to accept invitation to ride 130 miles with them S and W on 12. You two: really enjoyed getting to know you and riding with you. Wish you (and others) lived closer so that we could do more of the same: ride and talk.

Leave them sadly. Then N on 89, run into crew just finishing breakfast. Dick and Laney kindly invite me to eat with them. Heck, it's been a couple of hours since last breakfast--sounds good! BadAdam there, too, and we have a nice visit. Always nice to sit and talk with people like this.

Continue N on 89, and eventually cut over to 15 and into SLC. It was 400+ miles for day. Enroute, helped cage driver who ran out of gas. Gave him ride to station on back of Wing (no Utah helmet law). Try to help two HD riders but couldn't safely cross lanes fast enough, and didn't want to four-wheel Wing across median. Hope they found help.

So, what about Torrey. Met lots of new people but still don't know everyone there. Amazing vistas. Poor to good road surfaces. Very safe place to ride, easily taking "40" curves at 80-90. Felt safer there than Smokies, with good site lines and safe runoffs. All come together for breathtaking riding, when you combine the insane speeds with indescribable vistas, shared with really great people you just want to get to know even better.

Discovered it takes few hundred miles to really wring out a bike (watch for separate Wing review). Friendly, wonderful people in Utah.

Really, really glad I could make it!

Final summary: love riding motorcycles and love spending time with people who also love riding motorcycles. Thanks to everybody for making this fun.

Biff Motor Works

Thanks for the update, really enjoyed reading all the posts and looking at all the pics. Sounds like I'll have to make plans to attend the next one. Where are the pics with the sheep, cops, and the handcuffs. Ooops sorry wrong web site smile.gif thought I was at an adult site wink.gif Glad to hear everyone had a good time and was safe and sane (?)

Biff...

You're a DEAD MAN, BAKER!!! Some day, when you least expect it, maybe even years from now, there will be justice. wink.gif

Seriously it was absolutely a gas having you join all of us at Torrey. What an extraordinary effort on your part to get there. And the respect you earned from everyone for hustling that Wing around like you did. Amazing!!! I'll bet it was 30 lbs. lighter when you took it back.

Yes, folks. El Jefe can REALLY ride. It scares me to think what he would have done to those roads on his RT, or heaven forbid, his Duc.

Torrey was a raging success. There were too many people to meet, too many parties to attend, too much bench racing to take it all in, too many phenomenal roads to ride them all (this was my fourth Torrey and I STILL haven't ridden all the roads I want to), and no one fell down, which is always the best part.

David, you can room with me any time. And yes, I'll provide the earplugs.

Fernando saw lots of action at Torrey. I managed to snap a photo of him on Saturday.

fernando.jpg

laugh.gif

PS: David, sorry I wasn't able to ride out with you on Sunday. When I rolled my bike off its center stand, I broke my tankbag (the bottom connector). After trying unsuccessfully to repair it with duct tape, I finally just zip-tied it to my luggage rack. Anyway, we didn't leave the Chuckwagon 'til almost 0900.

PS: David, sorry I wasn't able to ride out with you on Sunday. When I rolled my bike off its center stand, I broke my tankbag (the bottom connector). After trying unsuccessfully to repair it with duct tape, I finally just zip-tied it to my luggage rack. Anyway, we didn't leave the Chuckwagon 'til almost 0900.

I wondered where you were, Sean. Sorry we didn't get to ride together. You are one of the folks I've been wanting to ride with. I do think that our get togethers are different from the typical rally because we ride together. I think it must have something to do with sharing a dangerous but fulfilling activity.

Sean had a headache Sunday morning, which is the only way I kept up with him! But that was my first time on 12, and it was spectacular.

[Nice PhotoShop work!]

Let's do it again sometime!

No 'Wings though. wink.gif

I'll agree with you, there. I felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight. On the other hand, it's always handy to have an excuse when you get stomped. Next time I'll bring a V-Rod or something! grin.gif

russell_bynum

David,

It was great riding with you! I'll never forget diving into that first turn coming back up through Capitol Reef with Steve leading. I looked in my mirror and saw you hanging off that 'Wing like Valentino Rossi, and sparks flying everywhere. I just shook my head and thought "That just ain't right." laugh.gif

The pace Steve led back up through the Reef was blistering, to say the least. I hit 155mph indicated on one of the straights and I wasn't exactly being a slowpoke in the corners. The fact that you were only a minute and a half back after 47 miles of that on a Wing vs a pair of K1200RS really shows what a great rider you are. I think if you had been on the Duc it would be the other way around...and hearing that sweet V-twin scream past us would make all the verbal abuse we'd get totally worth it. grin.gif

The riding, the food, the lie-telling...it was all awesome, and I'm glad you were a part of that.

Great write-up and pix, David. Again, it was great to meet you. The 'Wing'... er... scratch that... the K1800RT was a riot.

We're hoping to make it to Eureka Springs - so... see you there - unless paths cross before then!

Why traitor? frown.gif

Just joshing you about how Sean C. took the ticket for the both of ya! grin.gifgrin.gif

Hi David,

I'm so glad you had such a good time/ride in Torry! laugh.gif

I do wish that Angie B. & I could've been there with Al passing you at a buck-forty! tongue.gifgrin.gif

I would've loved teasing you later! grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Well maybe next time... Shelley cool.gif

Hi David,

I'm so glad you had such a good time/ride in Torry! laugh.gif

I do wish that Angie B. & I could've been there with Al passing you at a buck-forty! tongue.gifgrin.gif

I would've loved teasing you later! grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Well maybe next time... Shelley cool.gif

Yeah, we missed you, Shelley. And I haven't had a chance to meet Angie.

But anyway, print this thread out and keep it handy. Cuz the tale that Al will tell might have a different ring to it. grin.gif

David's story

Caught up to another group of 10 bikes or so. Recognized Dick at front (R11RT) followed by Laney (K12RS) and about 8 other bikes. Passed all in straight. Knew someone would take bait. Watching mirrors to see if one would follow. Hit 142 indicated (136 GPS), tapped Shelly's knee and pointed to speedo. This is fun.

Quit looking in rear view mirror for follower, and then hear fast passing K12RS to see "red blur" as Arizona Al and his wife zing buy. Try to catch but can't get above 136 GPS, while he can hold 142 GPS. Dang it. Hate giving Al "jawing" opportunities!

My story----

We had all been to the Hite overlook and the Hoon group had taken off and headed for the bottom. I was riding with Dick Frantz and the "fast" group. We stayed around the overlook for a bit and then headed back to Hanksville.

As we got back to the road, the "Hoon" group was coming back up the hill and going like a bat out of Hades,so we waited a bit before pulling out for them to pass.

When we got back on the raod, we were clipping along at a brisk, but steady pace and running about 100.

Suddenly, this K1800RT Bakermobile with Shelly Daly on back went by us at about 125+ headed North. Not far behind him was Sage Rider,and they were soon just specks ahead of us.

Now last week someone posted

David will be flying around jamming to CD tunes, cool beverage in the cup holder, changing his air suspension on the fly to suit the conditions while you guys are scratching your heads (and pegs) trying to keep up.

And I had replied

Somehow, methinks my K12RS 2 up will not have much of a problem, because my wife is a very good passenger--

Now the more I thought about this, the more I said " This just ain't gonna happen"---So I told the wife to hang on cause we were about to take chase. As soon as I had an open shot, I dropped it into 3rd gear and set off on the hunt.

The K12 took off like the greyhound it is and we were hitting the rev limiter as we worked through the gears and watched the specks up ahead grow larger by the second.

Sage rider saw us coming and gave us a backward wave with his left hand as we blew by him and closed in on the Bakermobile. I hit the rev limiter in 5th just as we shot by David and ran it up to 150 indicated before settling back down to about a leisurely 135 since David knew the Wing was no match for the Mighty K. My wife's comment at that time was "I love this bike!!!"

That's my story and I'm sticking to it---

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

My wife's comment at that time was "I love this bike!!!"

Al, could I pay your wife to hang out with mine for a little while??? All i get when the throttle cracks open is a swift smack on the back of my helmet... frown.gifgrin.gif

Yep VooDoo your wife and all the other SO’s should hang out with Al’s wife Angie… She would teach them a thing or two… Like how to say “GO BABY GO!” “FASTER, FASTER…” “I LOVE THIS BIKE”… oh yeah and you too honey! FASTER!!! Yep Al's got a KEEPER!

-------------------

Oh yeah, David my MONEY was on Al... wink.gif I was just hoping that he wouldn't leave TIRE MARKS on that Rented BIG WING-THING! Sorry Dude...maybe next time you'll have the DUC... then maybe you'll have a chance... grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Later, Shelley cool.gif

I wondered where you were, Sean. Sorry we didn't get to ride together. You are one of the folks I've been wanting to ride with. I do think that our get togethers are different from the typical rally because we ride together. I think it must have something to do with sharing a dangerous but fulfilling activity.
Very well put. And I really wanted to ride with you as well. But to be honest, the prospect of riding with you, Steve A., Russell and Sean made me a little nervous. I mean, you guys are bona fide hoons; I'm merely hoonish. smile.gif

PS: Thanks, Dave W., for the zip-ties, and to Raaaaan for the most excellent string. And Michael, you're a great knot-tier. My tank bag is still securely fastened to my pillion. I may just leave it there permanently. wink.gif

russell_bynum

Yep VooDoo your wife and all the other SO’s should hang out with Al’s wife Angie

I think Lisa's got the bug too. First...we go flying past Sean and Shelly on the way through Capitol Reef. At 130 I get this giggling in the autocom. At 145 it's full-on hysterical laughter. laugh.gif

Then...when we passed Dick's fast group stopped at the overlook...we're in this big right-hand sweeper at about 130 with all sorts of hard parts throwing sparks. I look in the mirror as we go past and see Lisa sitting upright waving at them like she's on a float in the freaking Rose Parade. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

...But riding Wing like that is full of drama

Such a polite way to say Butt Pucker! laugh.gif (or is it possible to butt pucker on a wing?)

Great report and pics David! Thanks! Nice to "feel" it.

I look in the mirror as we go past and see Lisa sitting upright waving at them like she's on a float in the freaking Rose Parade. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I get this giggling in the autocom. At 145 it's full-on hysterical laughter.

Good thing she didn't climb aboard Gleno's 180mph gixxer or she'd might've gone into full-on...um, well nevermind. blush.gif

we're in this big right-hand sweeper at about 130 with all sorts of hard parts throwing sparks.

Dude, you weren't just throwing sparks...you were kicking out full-on plumes of white smoke! shocked.gif I'd never seen anything like it before. It looked to me like you ran through a patch of white chalk in the road, but it was coming from your centerstand scraping! Too wild! Watching you and Lisa strafe those sweepers in the triple-digit neighborhood was a real hoot to see. Good riding, both of you!

chadhargis

150mph? Two up? On a 700+lb bike at altitude?

You left out the part about falling off the cliff! smile.gif

Remember, BMW speedos are notoriously optimistic. Even my "corrected" GS speedo lies like Bill Clinton.

150mph? Two up? On a 700+lb bike at altitude?

You left out the part about falling off the cliff! smile.gif

Remember, BMW speedos are notoriously optimistic. Even my "corrected" GS speedo lies like Bill Clinton.

If your GS speedo lied like Bill Clinton, I believe that it would read 0 MPH whenever exceeding the speed limit. "But officer, I wasn't speeding! I was just sitting on the motorcycle. I certainly wasn't getting any enjoyment from the experience."...

Nope, Al's speedo lies more like the politicians that swear the tax increase is only temporary. grin.gif

I believe his stated speed passing me was 142 GPS. Knowing what my GPS indicated speed was, I believe this to be accurate.

I think I could have stayed with Al, except he designed a set of custom earplugs for me the night before. These plugs caused my ears to flap in the slipstream and generated enough drag to allow Al to be able to pass. Very clever Al!grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

It was Russell that was at 150 (indicated -- until he upshifted to sixth gear). The Gold Wing is more like 850 pounds than 700, and hefts at well over 1000 two-up out on the road (An RT, 150 pound rider, 1/2 tank of gas, and normal stuff in the bags is 850). But, yes, the altitude was about 7,300 feet. However, David's Gold Wing would do about 140 downhill -- and about equal to an RT on the flat (128 - 132).

Dick,

Not in this thread.

Sage rider saw us coming and gave us a backward wave with his left hand as we blew by him and closed in on the Bakermobile. I hit the rev limiter in 5th just as we shot by David and ran it up to 150 indicated before settling back down to about a leisurely 135 since David knew the Wing was no match for the Mighty K.

That was Al!

russell_bynum

SageRider is right. We hit 145 2-up and 155 solo (dangit...I wasted most of the road wondering why I couldn't break 150...then noticed I was still in 5th.) In both cases the bike was still accelerating like mad and I shut it down because I was running out of road.

No sign of any wobble or instability (unless you count the mental state of the rider).

Everybody

Excellent stories.....had me squinting, and the hair on my arms standing up just sitting here reading all this........

Next year.......

Pat

chadhargis

I wasn't saying the Wing was 700lbs...I was talking about the KRS. It's a big boy. But oh so smoooooth. Deceptively quick.

Archived