IGNORED

Which oil filter for 1150RT?

Willie

I am looking for the alternative oil filter numbers for an 1150RT. I got through the first few pages of the sticky above and couldn't take it anymore dopeslap.gif Do the 1100 and 1150 use the same filter? I saw plenty of references for the 1100. Anyone have a preference for any certain filter and why? I've always been partial to the AC Delco and Frams for the cage. Thanks, Terry

Stan Walker

Do the 1100 and 1150 use the same filter?

yes.

We make a good match, you'r to lazy to read the sticky topic, and I'm too lazy to answer a question already answered in there.... smile.gif

Stan

I am looking for the alternative oil filter numbers for an 1150RT. I got through the first few pages of the sticky above and couldn't take it anymore dopeslap.gif Do the 1100 and 1150 use the same filter? I saw plenty of references for the 1100. Anyone have a preference for any certain filter and why? I've always been partial to the AC Delco and Frams for the cage. Thanks, Terry

There have been many boards dealing with Fram oil filters and their poor quality. I would avoid them for the motorcycle. I have sworn off them for many years due to the negative press I have read. Purolator seems to be well received but, I would do some looking around on the web for a motorcycle oil filter review...there are several that will curl the hair on your neck.

I have seen this query posted more than once over the years - why not use the BMW filter ? I appreciate BMW do not actually manufacture them, but they are made to their spec. - the cost saving is minimal when seen in the scheme of things, IMHO.

I have seen this query posted more than once over the years - why not use the BMW filter ? I appreciate BMW do not actually manufacture them, but they are made to their spec. - the cost saving is minimal when seen in the scheme of things, IMHO.

Martyn,

The question was for an alternative. I have used a non-OE filter only once. The BMW filter is of high quality but a bit pricey. Still, I don't mess with oil filters...there is too much at stake. Unless they are not available, I receommend the OE BMW filter.

I have a '98 RT and picked up a Purolator PureOne oil filter, part # PL10241 the other day at Advance Auto Parts for $6.00. It's their premium oil filter with a silicone anti-drainback valve and a PTFE treated sealing gasket (for easier future removal). I forget what micron level it filters down to- you can visit www.pureoil.com to find out. It's one of those personal choices.

As a cross refernce the # PL10241, is also spec'ed out for the 2002/3 Dodge Neon. So it should be available at your local Wal-Mart. It used superior media

and has been rate best year after year by those who care.

Bob Palin

Does the Purolater filter have the same wrench pattern? If not what wrench does it use?

Bob Palin
I have a '98 RT and picked up a Purolator PureOne oil filter, part # PL10241 the other day at Advance Auto Parts for $6.00.
They want $12.99 for it online!

However Amazon.com sells it for $5.49 but they are out of stock.

Killer: the Purolator PL10241 has 14 flutes on it- the same as a BMW oil filter. I just went out in the garage and looked at both filters. The BMW metal oil filter removal tool will fit the Purolator Pureone filter as I just tried it, also. I would have no qualms using this filter- it's even made in the U.S.A.!

ProductUser
I use Amsoil SMF122 most of the time; otherwise I use the BMW filter which is identical.

HTH...

Your comparison is only external; there could be internal differences too.

I'm not trying to start a debate re which oil filter to use; I just wanted to point out that external similarities do not imply that two objects are the same.

ProductUser

Archived