IGNORED

Engine BLEW UP! - K1300GT

Slugger

Hey guys - I'm new to this forum and I regret to say that I'm here because my 2009 K1300GT engine just blew up.  It only had 35k miles on it and I'm scratching my head.  No service lights were on.  No oil leaks (that I saw).  My local dealer is telling me that the cylinder 4 connecting rod blew through the engine somehow.  See photo.  They are quoting $12,000 to repair this bike that is worth $5-6k.  So I am extremely upset and devastated.

Does anyone have recommendations on what I should do at this point?  They are quoting $1600 labor to install another engine.  Seems like a few used engines are on ebay for $900-1000 but I'm really hesitant to throw that kind of money at this bike now. 

Do you think I have any recourse with BMW? (I bought the bike used from an individual)

Any idea what I will get as a salvage bike?  Anyone interested?  I am in Atlanta, GA...

123_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Slugger said:

Hey guys - I'm new to this forum and I regret to say that I'm here because my 2009 K1300GT engine just blew up.  It only had 35k miles on it and I'm scratching my head.  No service lights were on.  No oil leaks (that I saw).  My local dealer is telling me that the cylinder 4 connecting rod blew through the engine somehow.  See photo.  They are quoting $12,000 to repair this bike that is worth $5-6k.  So I am extremely upset and devastated.

Does anyone have recommendations on what I should do at this point?  They are quoting $1600 labor to install another engine.  Seems like a few used engines are on ebay for $900-1000 but I'm really hesitant to throw that kind of money at this bike now. 

Do you think I have any recourse with BMW? (I bought the bike used from an individual)

Any idea what I will get as a salvage bike?  Anyone interested?  I am in Atlanta, GA...

Afternoon Slugger

You can try calling BMW customer service but with that motorcycle age being 11 years old & you being the 2nd owner I doubt it will work out to your satisfaction.  

But still might be worth a try as your motorcycle might  fit a build window that had a known assembly defect or a defective OEM part. Doesn't cost anything to try. 

That really sucks.  Any noises before the rod blew?  Blow on acceleration?  

The options I see are:

DIY Replace the engine.  Depends on your skill level but not impossible with some help.  Probably a several months long project, not counting on how long to get another motor.

Part it out.  Probably the best chance of recouping some of the value of the bike.  Top case and rear cases probably worth several hundred just by themselves.  You can list parts on ebay and sites like this, but it will take quite a  long time and effort to move and you wont move all of it.

Sell it to a bike salvage yard.  Not sure what they would pay, really depends on where they are and how much the parts are worth.  In this case a Harley might be the better bike for used parts.  

It's a pretty bike,  if it were me and I had the space I would probably go with the first option.  But I'm crazy when it comes to stuff like that.

Here is one motor for 975, looks like some assembly required:  https://www.rubbersideup.com/2009-bmw-k1300gt-k1300s-k1300r-engine-good-motor-60-day-warranty-11007713462?gclid=CjwKCAjwssD0BRBIEiwA-JP5rAucdr0jcgvbc3XRQb17nVGQQN3AfFLFvqMpUhujN-o-_tBV7pxXfRoC3f0QAvD_BwE

Another on ebay for about double, but looks more complete:  https://www.ebay.com/i/184142807906?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=184142807906&targetid=882904020427&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9008589&poi=&campaignid=6469981122&mkgroupid=86285324342&rlsatarget=pla-882904020427&abcId=1141176&merchantid=114612059&gclid=CjwKCAjwssD0BRBIEiwA-JP5rKbVlBogGuVo_L6v7KpC6RvapAW0JPS3fQqtKzqx25vcLaq9a9O6MBoCV0AQAvD_BwE

I've had good luck with a transmission and driveshaft for my RT from Rubber Side Up

Looks like they have two engines.

You gotta weigh the costs.  Are you looking for a new bike $$$$ or just fixin' the one you have $$.

John Bentall

Hi Slugger, this is not an unknown problem. The German magazine Motorrad had a test GT that blew up its clutch basket and later on suffered a major failure of a big-end. The incipient failure was detected by the road-test staff before a rod went through the side. Here is the link to the long-term test review article (in German I hasten to add) and the relevant words surround the picture of the crankshaft. BMW mothership will definitely have seen this article, because at the end of every long-term test conducted by the magazine, the manufacturer or importer is invited to view and comment on the stripped down components - and without failure they do so. The article does say that, according to BMW, similar serious maladies occur only once in a thousand times (!) and are not considered significant (!). My exclamation marks.

You may not get any joy unless the bike has a perfect BMW dealer service history but even then it is well outside a normal period for manufacturer goodwill. 

To get peace of mind, it may be worth having a good moan. 

Good luck, 

John

hi guys - thanks for all the info and advice.  To answer a previous question, yes, I heard some "rattling" that day when I would come to a stop.  But I had replaced the battery the day before and ended up removing several fairings to do that (dropped a socket head inside the bike) so I assumed I had left something loose or out of place.  And then later in my 20 mile drive BAAAM the engine blew.  The engine only "rattled" that day and I am now to assume it was a rod knocking.

I have decided to buy the used engine that was local to me and listed on eBay.  I'm having a private tech install it and see how that goes.  Crossing my fingers that the "heart transplant" is a success!  I'll know more in a month or two and will try to report back.  Feel free to ping here for updates.  The first thing we need to do is confirm that the transmission isn't damaged because the used engine I am buying does NOT include the transmission...

Wish me luck!

• Like 4

Sounds like a plan.  If you don't mind sharing, whats the replacement engine going for and ballpark labor to put it in?

Just thinking about the numbers, (cause we all have lots of spare time lately)  if the bike was worth maybe 5-6K before the engine went south, it may be worth 1-2K now so you are theoretically out 3-5k because of it.  If you spend a grand on the engine and 2 on the labor, then you hopefully have a bike that is worth the 5-6K again. 

So I guess from a numbers perspective you are going to give up 3 grand one way or another.  One way you have no bike and the other, your pretty K1300.  I like the latter option.  Hows that for rationalization?  

1 hour ago, EvilTwin said:

Sounds like a plan.  If you don't mind sharing, whats the replacement engine going for and ballpark labor to put it in?

Just thinking about the numbers, (cause we all have lots of spare time lately)  if the bike was worth maybe 5-6K before the engine went south, it may be worth 1-2K now so you are theoretically out 3-5k because of it.  If you spend a grand on the engine and 2 on the labor, then you hopefully have a bike that is worth the 5-6K again. 

So I guess from a numbers perspective you are going to give up 3 grand one way or another.  One way you have no bike and the other, your pretty K1300.  I like the latter option.  Hows that for rationalization?  

When my tranny on the rt decided to start making a racket, and since it was my primary commuter, I rationlized spending the money  on the repair, and then a replacement as to get me another bike would have costs me more.  I think I spent about $5k on both a tranny rebuild, then over a year later, replacing with a used one.  That was at the 70k ish mark and the bike is now at close to 140k.......so, to me, my rationalization was worth it.

beemerman2k

Slugger, I also own a 2009 K1300GT same color as yours.  I have about 33k miles on my bike, and I am somewhat troubled by your post.

I really kinda long for a GS, so if my engine blew, I can't say I'd be as broken hearted as you seem to be.  For me, it'd be the perfect excuse to go GS!!!

Nonetheless, this is concerning to me.

btw, I bought mine about 2 years ago with 6K on the clock.  it's been rock solid reliable for me.  No complaints.  So I'd be kinda surprised if something like this happened to my bike.

• 5 months later...