IGNORED

Removing ABS from 2008 R1200Rt

Greg-2008R1200RT

Greg-2008R1200RT

I am almost there....everything disconnected except this electrical connection (see photos)...1st photo from internet....Any idea how to get this

wiring connection off the ABS?....I am stumped.....Thanks...Greg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

2020-04-10_1402.png

34 minutes ago, Greg-2008R1200RT said:

I am almost there....everything disconnected except this electrical connection (see photos)...1st photo from internet....Any idea how to get this

wiring connection off the ABS?....I am stumped.....Thanks...Greg

Afternoon Greg

Just slide the latch up  (might need to pry lightly with a screwdriver) then the connector should pull out of the module.

Greg-2008R1200RT
2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Greg

Just slide the latch up  (might need to pry lightly with a screwdriver) then the connector should pull out of the module.

...so slide up some and then pull outward?....or continue pulling upward?.....thanks

51 minutes ago, Greg-2008R1200RT said:

...so slide up some and then pull outward?....or continue pulling upward?.....thanks

Afternoon Greg

You need to slide the connector LATCH BAR up (not the entre connector), then pull the connector out of the ABS module.

Look at your top picture, see those short pins on the side of the ABS side connector? The latch bar locks over those so you need to slide it (the latch bar) up until it clears those pins.

Greg-2008R1200RT

Thanks to DirtRider for walking me through the removal of this ABS module....in the photos below you can see that the top of the electrical connector slides up....If it only goes up 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch keep wiggling it around until is slides up fully then the connector can be removed (as seen in photo)....the ABS module has a very very tight fit under the gas tank...Looks like lots of patience will be needed to get it fully out.....Off to Module Masters soon I hope

2020-04-10_1457.png

2020-04-10_1517.png

Interestingly (and not surprisingly) the same as a BMW car connector.   Years ago I had a BMW 335XI car, an inline 6 with sequential twin turbos.  I had purchased an aftermarket performance chip that would allow higher Turbo boost levels before the waste gate would kick in; on the car It was the same type of connector release that held the main plug to the main computer.  I had to access a few pins within the connector to add the chip.

Greg-2008R1200RT

just a tip for final removal of the ABS Module....once you unscrew the bracket that the ABS is mounted on....tilt it so you can unscrew the bracket from the module....makes it much easier to remove from the bike