IGNORED

Shifter marked boots

Warren Dean

Warren Dean

So, I wear cowboy boots instead of the more traditional MX style boots for riding my Beemer. AND I wear a lighter color than black....  :)

That said, has anyone found a commercially available product to keep the shifter from leaving black and silver deposits on the top of my left boot? I am not worried about wear.....it just  looks tacky since I ride to, and wear these boots at, work.

I have thought of heat shrink tubing over the shifter rubber but thought I would see if the brain trust here has a better idea.

Cheers!

Warren

szurszewski

I’ve had good luck with one like the Amazon link above. Cheap and easy to install, and you don’t have to mess with something each ride (like the boot cover also linked above). I think I picked it up at my local cycle gear for about seven bucks. 

image.thumb.png.847f6f114e30c187045f4eaba6d178ed.png

I installed a Hornig shifter extender primarily to distribute the shifter pressure across more than big toe. They are aluminum. I don't think they will leave black marks but regardless of what you use, it will likely make that part of your lighter-colored boot a bit dirtier than other parts. ~$30. It fits over the OEM shifter  so its is a bit larger diameter and longer.  I got mine at Sierra BMW. Comes with or without o-rings

Best Miguel

image.png.1f8f23eae7c6355c1d01639925f5e4fe.png

• Thanks 1
Warren Dean
9 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I’ve had good luck with one like the Amazon link above. Cheap and easy to install, and you don’t have to mess with something each ride (like the boot cover also linked above). I think I picked it up at my local cycle gear for about seven bucks. 

image.thumb.png.847f6f114e30c187045f4eaba6d178ed.png

I will probably go that route. Cheap and easy are good. :)

11 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Fit a heel shifter?

If you installed a heel shifter on your BMW you’re on your own...😬

• Like 1
szurszewski
59 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

If you installed a heel shifter on your BMW you’re on your own...😬

Nah...

image.jpeg.df738bcd21557cd8171a0a1fe46c5af5.jpeg

image.png.fc13580cd476ee25d691c2bf58a094c1.png

image.jpeg.6fdb48617a0e0073ed73c3f1b0ad3a61.jpeg

image.jpeg.3ccf8a676f9357d8e269d7d4a9e3931f.jpeg

34 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Nah...

image.jpeg.df738bcd21557cd8171a0a1fe46c5af5.jpeg

image.png.fc13580cd476ee25d691c2bf58a094c1.png

image.jpeg.6fdb48617a0e0073ed73c3f1b0ad3a61.jpeg

image.jpeg.3ccf8a676f9357d8e269d7d4a9e3931f.jpeg

Wow, you learn something new every day. I’ve never seen that. 

szurszewski

I’ve not see one on an oilhead - airheads and K1200LTs I’ve seen in person, and the internet search that yielded this pics found some on K16s. I bet someone out there has done it - doesn’t seem like it would be too hard. 

I’ve only ridden a bit with them - mostly on some various sidecars others were kind enough to let me try - and I defiantly am not proficient with them. 

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

My 1979 R100RT had one.  I never used the heel part.

R100RT 1979 001.jpg

That is a gorgeous machine!!  

• Like 1
Warren Dean
On 4/10/2020 at 12:34 PM, The Fabricator said:

I have tinkered with my unit a little.

This is my heel-toe set up.

I recommend h-t.779175370_CopyofARTSHACK001.jpg.878e03d1bdd1100211260f4b5d6fda9c.jpg

1143952634_footrestsshockspacer002.jpg.8980c5dedd6a4e738a97872440702c34.jpg

2127113123_footrestsshockspacer001.jpg.37a0f2ea9e340d698458f46590f49089.jpg

I've been to 2 county fairs and a goat ropin' and I ain't never seen anything like that....:14:

• Haha 1
The Fabricator
16 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

I've been to 2 county fairs and a goat ropin' and I ain't never seen anything like that....:14:

Never occurred to me to enter the bike into the county fair or the goat roapin' event.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Cowboy boots?

What is the sole made of?

To each, but I was not likely to ride without a non leather sole.

Too slick in many conditions.

Not to mention lack of protection.

I kept shoes at work, tub under desk, and wore mc specific boots.

Waterproof and protection.

YMMV

Warren Dean
10 minutes ago, tallman said:

Cowboy boots?

What is the sole made of?

To each, but I was not likely to ride without a non leather sole.

Too slick in many conditions.

Not to mention lack of protection.

I kept shoes at work, tub under desk, and wore mc specific boots.

Waterproof and protection.

YMMV

They have rubber soles. And I don't ride in the rain without slip-on rain boots. This ain't my first rodeo.  :)

I just own the shifter mark on my boots, it happens because I ride. But then I don't work in an office. I don't even have nice boots now that I think about it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't like position of the the shifter on my R1100RS. It didn't stick out far enough, and I had to turn my foot inboard to shift. As I pondered how to fix it, I realized that all i really needed to do was slide a piece of metal pipe over it to make it a little longer. Since I was sitting in the garage on a pile of tools, I reached over and grabbed a long- each 3/4" socket. A few taps with the hammer and it slid right on.  Presto! Instant shifter extension. Sounds like that would fix your problem too.

• Thanks 1
Warren Dean
8 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

I didn't like position of the the shifter on my R1100RS. It didn't stick out far enough, and I had to turn my foot inboard to shift. As I pondered how to fix it, I realized that all i really needed to do was slide a piece of metal pipe over it to make it a little longer. Since I was sitting in the garage on a pile of tools, I reached over and grabbed a long- each 3/4" socket. A few taps with the hammer and it slid right on.  Presto! Instant shifter extension. Sounds like that would fix your problem too.

No doubt. I am currently using one of those plastic l shaped covers. We shall see how it lasts, but I like the idea of a metal extension that doesn't cost $50.  :)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jim Moore said:

Wouldn’t a 19mm be more appropriate? 😜

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Wouldn’t a 19mm be more appropriate? 😜

LOL, yeah the 19 worked too. But I need that 19, so I started playing around with the SAE stuff I never use.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

LOL, yeah the 19 worked too. But I need that 19, so I started playing around with the SAE stuff I never use.

Ahh, smart move...that’s using your noggin. 

• Like 1