IGNORED

R1200 ST Cylinder Head

MarshMan

Anybody know what I can expect to pay for a replacement cylinder head cover? Also, is it something I can install myself? Thanks.

Ummm, I think I wrote that wrong. I meant the actual cylinder head itself, not a guard or cover. $189 seems a little too good to be true. Thanks, though.

ShovelStrokeEd

Lists for $475 from Max BMW.

Don't know if valve guides are included or not, or seats for that matter. Gonna be expensive to replace as you'll have to grind valves and seats regardless.

What ever did you do to the poor thing?

Loaned it to a friend who flopped at low speed. He feels terrible and wants to make it right. From your description sounds like it isn't something I can do myself, which adds some major inconvenience to the cost. Bummer. dopeslap.gif

Please look at the attachment. Are you referring to part "2" or the part with the exhaust pipe sticking out of it?

If you are referring to part "2", that is the valve cover and is no sweat to replace.

I am having a hard time imagining that your friend(?) damaged anything more than the valve cover with a low speed drop.

677373-K25_11004b.jpg.badd6734f9a035cb7901d9d9733bd9da.jpg

Yea I basically did that 3 months ago on mine, and I only had to replace the 'rocker box cover', the spark plug cover, and a few other little things.

You for sure that he didn't drop it off a cliff? eek.gif

It is exactly Part "2" that got damaged. Nice gouge in it. Doesn't affect the way the motor runs or anything.

If I'd done this myself I'd be tempted to cover up the damage with a carbon cover for the head. I've replaced my previous rocker cover at the side of the road with the BMW toolkit. (Attempt at hiding the damage that I'd done before her indoors sees it blush.gif)

OK, I've now figured out that it is in fact the cylinder head cover, $189 at Max BMW. All I need now is some assessment of how difficult it is to put on myself.

1hawkrider
OK, I've now figured out that it is in fact the cylinder head cover, $189 at Max BMW. All I need now is some assessment of how difficult it is to put on myself.

It is an extreme peice of cake. Order new gaskets with the cover.

1) Remove the plastic cover form the high ignition coil (aka spark plug wire).Just pull it straight out with your fingers from the aft end.

2) Remove the spark plug wire boot. There is a groove that you can gte a thin, non-metalic object into it and gently pry against the cylinder cover (of course you can buy a "special" tool from your dealer for this). And remove the plug.

3) Loosen the four torx head bolts (see illustration attached previously in this post) and reomve the cover.

4) Install new gaskets, cover, etc. clap.gif

If this took you more than 1 hour, you drank too much beer while working. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Common for me as I have a fridge in the garage! wink.gif

Deans BMW

Marshman, sounds like you do not have too much mechanical experience, which is OK. If so, just bring the new valve cover to your dealer at the time of your next service as the valve covers are removed at that time by the tech to do a valve adjust so there should be no extra charge.

Archived