Jump to content

Riding Motorcycles During the COVID-19 Pandemic Part II


moshe_levy

Recommended Posts

In this new video, I discuss common arguments about riding motorcycles during the #COVID-19 pandemic, and rational rebuttals to them. If you are in a COVID-19 hotspot and on the fence about riding, or trying to convince a friend or loved one to stop riding until the crisis subsides, this video may be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ycd011AIs

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Persuasive talk! :thumbsup: I had to cringe when you climbed that ladder though. I have the same exact one at home and they're a little on the flexi side. I was up changing a light when yeah, it flexed. (operator error actually :grin:) I went down cracking a couple ribs. :P

 

Thanks again for the great info! :clap:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks, Moshe. I was wondering "WTF is the ladder for" until you got on the ladder. I'm not sure what's above riding at 9/10 on bald tires on a Friday night, but I'm glad you didn't go there. Maybe after a few beers would be the top rung.

 

I am fortunate enough not to live in NJ (or northern Delaware, where I was born and raised). I am still riding during the pandemic, and just got back from a FS fire road loop, sticking to the main roads, avoiding explorations, riding very carefully. Despite an unexpected detour after missing a turn, it was a great experience, especially FS-58, which followed a mountain stream with many rapids and small waterfalls.

 

812217569_Screenshot2020-04-06at4_51_17PM.thumb.png.b75776494440061e01b8143289d148fd.png

 

"Most infected town, in the most infected county, in the 2nd most infect state, in the most infected country in the world" hit home. I would argue that going in to Dahlonega to pick up some groceries at Walmart is riskier than today's ride — and not nearly as satisfying an experience. Approaching my 74th birthday, with a history of multiple hospitalizations for asthma and pneumonia, currently under treatment for bronchiectasis, if I catch it, I'm probably a dead man. I'd rather take my chances on Forest Service roads. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Persuasive talk! :thumbsup: I had to cringe when you climbed that ladder though. :clap:

 

A few years ago, Prudential Healthcare sent a visiting nurse to check on how we were doing. She had a heavy Long Island accent, a smoker's cough, and she advised "Stay off of laddahs." When a tree fell on our house, I completely ignored her advice.

 

forestry.thumb.jpg.bcadea49d069cd69578ed279d76b3390.jpg

 

49mPC2rE9aldbvtjGp2D1ajnsusdVUDXxyrvIJhwJBeZx_nvfqxuw9BnTJhQnm_EPzcRE0HwmrHKLYjBbm43Fx0l0aKUXg84WwyLT95LCMjx4Kv93LEkaB77E7OhGmaHvJxz1umHDg8Kb6FhZCXm7eK7XsAl7tKcoHQidcLuVDq4wcQJN5qXzYr4JPLBosL09vTkgAyCNwyEsO3qFf2BG17a36FO7KyhKBgQcyDWxenOTKUnxlosNLvKyMwVEqukl2wnG8L4KTpsQBlHjs-91DIzMvoAwVU5rqMdDgkTCJz-QG3x6yXswJP1okSPF2cEHHradCkYwekuef8CFcGWioSod2WXD1cz5uklG7DbgSaPLo34hAFZasYBbXDkB-MmSY-qc1nMcvhp5Z4fwE3h9NIiTlvzJv1E1v91MiXETRu6JFtTw2RkdzL5uCXC9G18nA7VWC7xPChDsralOZBkM33lv2k9-LskkL2vptroIUgDZRr-6LVkO7Z_tD88hgS-Wp-nlpxmVKqi1uB4ea9aSnUICGKOwIKfyUo5tp01OmCOYiI72_m7s58KrSKyE4pwJVNEGH9MZoxlO0OYa4RVuU7Dfda9BtT6eko9mLaNpmvmJf1ak9QZC2mIU-KPlMm354-wIJEh8Ryto6rXEZhpOaYPbjccGGqKbrQOc4EZ5uAbtJHcDYS5Gsh95xnw_SU=w1071-h1425-no

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I climbed telephone poles for 23 years. We had more injuries on ladders than using hooks (gaffs) by far. I hate ladders. They are somewhat safe if lashed correctly. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Persuasive talk! :thumbsup: I had to cringe when you climbed that ladder though. I have the same exact one at home and they're a little on the flexi side. I was up changing a light when yeah, it flexed. (operator error actually :grin:) I went down cracking a couple ribs. :P

 

Thanks again for the great info! :clap:

 

So that nifty green ladder does not like being stacked on paint cans on stairs, I know this for a fact.  And fiberglass does break and sheet rock does not stop a ladder from going through and that was the third time in this house that I've stacked paint cans to level the ladder, and it sorta wobbled an fell with me on the second to top rung and the ladder did break and I got to fall on the ladder and stairs in a sorta semi upside down manner and the bruise on my thigh showed up the next day fairly prevalent and the wife asked me what the ruckus was and I told her I fell and kinda put a hole in her sheetrock  that she would have  to patch,.....boy was she pissed about having to patch that hole. 

 

I did get another one, and I still stack paint cans when I'm too lazy to get the adjustable ladder out.

 

Oh, did someone mention ladder safety.......and I'm still doing my 100 mile commute.image.png.a5130d89f582cbfa6815ee0469e94211.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Selden said:

 

A few years ago, Prudential Healthcare sent a visiting nurse to check on how we were doing. She had a heavy Long Island accent, a smoker's cough, and she advised "Stay off of laddahs." When a tree fell on our house, I completely ignored her advice.

 

forestry.thumb.jpg.bcadea49d069cd69578ed279d76b3390.jpg

 

49mPC2rE9aldbvtjGp2D1ajnsusdVUDXxyrvIJhwJBeZx_nvfqxuw9BnTJhQnm_EPzcRE0HwmrHKLYjBbm43Fx0l0aKUXg84WwyLT95LCMjx4Kv93LEkaB77E7OhGmaHvJxz1umHDg8Kb6FhZCXm7eK7XsAl7tKcoHQidcLuVDq4wcQJN5qXzYr4JPLBosL09vTkgAyCNwyEsO3qFf2BG17a36FO7KyhKBgQcyDWxenOTKUnxlosNLvKyMwVEqukl2wnG8L4KTpsQBlHjs-91DIzMvoAwVU5rqMdDgkTCJz-QG3x6yXswJP1okSPF2cEHHradCkYwekuef8CFcGWioSod2WXD1cz5uklG7DbgSaPLo34hAFZasYBbXDkB-MmSY-qc1nMcvhp5Z4fwE3h9NIiTlvzJv1E1v91MiXETRu6JFtTw2RkdzL5uCXC9G18nA7VWC7xPChDsralOZBkM33lv2k9-LskkL2vptroIUgDZRr-6LVkO7Z_tD88hgS-Wp-nlpxmVKqi1uB4ea9aSnUICGKOwIKfyUo5tp01OmCOYiI72_m7s58KrSKyE4pwJVNEGH9MZoxlO0OYa4RVuU7Dfda9BtT6eko9mLaNpmvmJf1ak9QZC2mIU-KPlMm354-wIJEh8Ryto6rXEZhpOaYPbjccGGqKbrQOc4EZ5uAbtJHcDYS5Gsh95xnw_SU=w1071-h1425-no

 

I live in a log house in the woods and constantly worry about pine trees near the house (and oak trees; and hickory trees, etc)  I hope your damage was limited to roof and not structural!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Here's a great stable little ladder. "The Little Giant" See what you started, Moshe...:grin:

71hDXu2YOGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

 

Ya, I have one like that, it's a Gorilla brand that I picked off of craigslist for $30.

 

Much better than paint cans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Little Giants should be called Finger Destroyers.

We can't use them at work, can't use aluminum ladders, they don't mix well with electricity. They also caused way too many hand injuries the short time they tried them in the field before the aluminum thing came up.

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Little Giants should be called Finger Destroyers.

 

 

Yup, some moving parts involved but if you're carful...:5223:

Link to comment
On 4/7/2020 at 5:49 AM, BamaJohn said:

I live in a log house in the woods and constantly worry about pine trees near the house (and oak trees; and hickory trees, etc)  I hope your damage was limited to roof and not structural!

 

We were incredibly lucky. Got a call from a neighbor at 0800, the day before we were to leave for California. Drove up, got out the chain saw to get the tree off the roof, bend tin down, and cover seams with duct tape. That repair lasted several months, until I could get someone in to replace the damaged metal roof panels.

 

There was zero structural damage, not even any cracked drywall inside. Apart from the roof, the only structural damage occurred when a local Amish carpenter came by and pulled on the release latch for the folding ladder, which collapsed and broke the front window. He replaced the window. Amos did not get the roof repair job....

Link to comment

He probably should have gotten the job, no one was going to be more careful than he after that!

Reminds me of The World According to Garp. Looking at buying a house, when a small plane flies into it. He looks at the realtor and says, "I'll take it, what are the chances of another plane ever hitting this house again?"

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I've been thinking more about risk management. Granted, the number of contact hours are unequal, but I have sustained far more injuries over the past 60 years at home than while riding. Many of them could have been avoided had I observed ATGATT. Two years ago I got up in the middle of the night to pee, had an excruciating cramp, passed out, and hit the back of my head on a wall on my way to the floor, leaving a good size divot in the sheet rock. 

 

Everything has risks. Be careful everywhere, in every activity.

Link to comment
On 4/7/2020 at 9:45 PM, Hosstage said:

Little Giants should be called Finger Destroyers.

Quoting my homebuilder friend

 

”One must be smarter than the wood.”

I guess it could also apply to ladders

Link to comment

I’m considered an essential personal by my employer so I’ve been full time through this. 
 

I realize the repercussions of commuting via motorcycle have Exponentially increased but my risks have fallen DRASTICALLY.
(60 miles round trip via some of the busiest freeways in the nation).    


 

When was the last time the 405 freeway looked like this?

2F76B9D5-A645-4D88-BB8F-D6C7EE48D72A.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The ladder thread is hilarious. You can probably see that as I climb the ladder I get more and more squeamish. I absolutely HATE heights. But it had to be done! ;-)

 

-MKL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, moshe_levy said:

The ladder thread is hilarious. You can probably see that as I climb the ladder I get more and more squeamish. I absolutely HATE heights. But it had to be done! ;-)

 

-MKL

 

 

I'z hoping you woulda stood on the top cap!!,.....give it a try on a 12ft step ladder,.......woohoo!!

 

It's not the height that gets me, it's that sudden stop at the end prior to hitting terminal velocity.

Link to comment
On 4/9/2020 at 10:56 AM, Rinkydink said:

Quoting my homebuilder friend

 

”One must be smarter than the wood.”

I guess it could also apply to ladders

I have an early version of Werner ladder like the little giant...I know why they now add wheels to the things...mine is HEAVY!  (but versatile)

Link to comment
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I put one in my “cart” earlier and just went to pay. Currently unavailable! :dopeslap: Should of known, good deals don’t hang around!

 

If you aint checking slickdeals daily (several times), you will miss out.

 

Gotta jump when something's published if'n you're really wanting it.

 

I generally hit the forums on slickdeals to read through, as that's where most will be before they hit the front page.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Done deal, thank you my friend! :thumbsup:

 

Glad to be of service.  If you're looking for anything else, let me know, I peruse the deal sights frequently.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

She’s going to work like, right now! :D
 

29FCCEB8-4FC2-4E64-B929-AD6D4DDEEDDE.jpeg

 

 

So, you're sending the wife up the ladder to do the windows :18:  Good on ya!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yep, she’s good like that! :D Ah, I just realized the confusion...they don’t call ladders “she” down in NC? :dontknow: :grin:

 

No confusion, I really meant that you're gonna send the wife up the ladder ;)

Link to comment

Taking this a little further off topic but still ladder related. :grin: On my walk route, I pass by this house that an elder gent started painting last year. He was up on his ladder until he wasn’t. :eek: The house never got finished. :(

 

1E8B962B-6D8E-4C57-974D-5B8B77BC97F4.jpeg

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Taking this a little further off topic but still ladder related. :grin: On my walk route, I pass by this house that an elder gent started painting last year. He was up on his ladder until he wasn’t. :eek: The house never got finished. :(

 

1E8B962B-6D8E-4C57-974D-5B8B77BC97F4.jpeg

 

He shoulda used paint cans

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • 3 months later...
RandyShields

Since this has turned into a ladder thread, here's a little beauty.  I had a roofer show up in a pickup truck with no visible ladder, so I didn't know how he was going to get up on the roof until he pulled one of these out of the bed of his truck.  Very trick!  They are expensive but if you need to haul around a tall ladder without a rack, or don't have space for it in a garage, this is the way to go.  Fits in the trunk of a car too.  The embedded video shows how it works.  Skip to the 40 second mark to skip the base assembly to see it extend.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-Extension-Multi-Purpose-Industrial-Extendable/dp/B07MX7MQGD/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&hvadid=77859218118362&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=telescoping+ladder&qid=1597488573&sr=8-6&tag=mh0b-20

Link to comment
4 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Since this has turned into a ladder thread, here's a little beauty.  I had a roofer show up in a pickup truck with no visible ladder, so I didn't know how he was going to get up on the roof until he pulled one of these out of the bed of his truck.  Very trick!  They are expensive but if you need to haul around a tall ladder without a rack, or don't have space for it in a garage, this is the way to go.  Fits in the trunk of a car too.  The embedded video shows how it works.  Skip to the 40 second mark to skip the base assembly to see it extend.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-Extension-Multi-Purpose-Industrial-Extendable/dp/B07MX7MQGD/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&hvadid=77859218118362&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=telescoping+ladder&qid=1597488573&sr=8-6&tag=mh0b-20

 

Sherwin-Williams generally has those in stock in their stores

Link to comment
On 4/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, TEWKS said:

Taking this a little further off topic but still ladder related. :grin: On my walk route, I pass by this house that an elder gent started painting last year. He was up on his ladder until he wasn’t. :eek: The house never got finished. :(

 

1E8B962B-6D8E-4C57-974D-5B8B77BC97F4.jpeg

 

Love the dueling mailboxes....

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm OK with ladders and heights. When I was a kid, not so much, but riding motorcycles fixed that when I realized that going through a turn, nothing was holding me up except centrifugal force.

 

Ynw1UIQu3okCIkghZ14gLMIhq6CwRruiRv1Ood_FTinpo4tu4862zPtmMuH6wyVVNP72SCvNv7HIfYEqIUSqjGdm9cHvG1tB_nxZFcdUpxu34QJLVM0yqJAerMO9FUMsnp9rxCKRYiSeaOpirlu9Dufg3LfmEsdD-VDSDqvCo6jyFUS9AZupQ8Hus77b4DeRsxnK1qzj1xdc-QhXW57SHfo0zvD8DkOqu-TfdJhoK2dULcX6jSevBFJfu2Lf1egNokfws4dAaREQaV49CEmjmCqliSByTvPZYZUssTwKZ_-um4AS7XMmbS99I36682FZqG_WWlwJXRlV7IhrtJs0jdAzF2f6hiOU6v-SH45BC5_6QMGytGKHnz_K1jpqOjdLTlInjhSJAG91EA2pvyJ0rcSlkwfptUNJhvDiZKMjItZavwoLdt3N4obVXt5eQ8sPd_fGjVfdsSvqXg25FY5t_R5xJ-i5NC7egspcIMj85IMb4wELkgPpDd6uKpvtu2TsZAJdXMpJd29CYSVew1dZLw_v6e7o6R49ieW3EQ768dp0f4Ca84IP28QsvcsLgjHH9FymwAxXgZJ2YQJEg9g6HIcQMVZdB6roIJZDn3UalKzugn7smXMSkBQeAhFcwKBCh9pGlccl-5EI1OEtkXMRJDeLp873fH9aW70-YyTauruh8U68G6LVNmNwZl2b6_I=w1109-h1478-no?authuser=0 

 

JYTN66WnBZHPgSRzYVG-QSGDzWNhBpFhRKBlMmw4verjqEg0DeuTI0sqkNzSra6qkpQSjZppShgOKsU0MsGrrlSNXwQ69Y_juFLZBL-PKiwuqmoYnAshI7cCmJj-Y1mmTrB9pFR2e16JaKRnyuekY9Ohthj0ffrsARcz8LDzPTIo7k6t954HR_tOpn4ZHkBWtxyDAxySd2tVQQNsm4dr3gcDmgATrt6pkmSjM1npSOCni23f7VzRjsqiMD3Di3LFLnCFr-ibjbdAucx3NBUmS09zvaq_vwFcUQTlf5JGDi-oatVdMytSsNTSIB8XxvB8yj-6T-AnFqVNcy3Fsa_YzJkxNH-kmnaUyemg0NqWC3EmNmsIIu12JqC_E0GT37lHFVsSQSkWk9ZrwEwsQG1iaaL-qKhM0VF8APjVfYAuk0t5NYY0Z-u__8d5O7Qv74FvXICMsBSO0VqFXm9ujM2E_V3_JNGtLqhYMKnPv7VlT_NlnsqbYFum47yklxY1ugACD48XrNesegXAJ-2kwCgFFILG9rhsvAPtQwXfOv3kHQxCk0iIStz9gByE8QytwaFMox9tCUYPGtFKw2K1fKPwvoTqZLDsqcmxNwyHa4-ZIOSUG-2p7rewjR0DeywiZMgTtsko8a4qwbJ8YcjEjFmInG7f4oGNlHex5O3oIaWIst5_pMvZ83LLJOKEmL5fwi0=w1109-h1478-no?authuser=0

Link to comment
  • 4 months later...
ESokoloff
On 4/6/2020 at 1:42 PM, moshe_levy said:

In this new video, I discuss common arguments about riding motorcycles during the #COVID-19 pandemic, and rational rebuttals to them. If you are in a COVID-19 hotspot and on the fence about riding, or trying to convince a friend or loved one to stop riding until the crisis subsides, this video may be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ycd011AIs

Moshe, I hope your wife & family are remaining well during these trying times for health care providers.  
 

Here in SoCal cases have exploded & hospitals are at critical mass.  
 

I’m still commuting on two wheels but was transferred to a different location with a much safer commute. 
Also reporting hrs have been reduced approx 33% 

I have thought twice about adding to my risks though & not adding unnecessary side trips (on or off road).  
 

NOT a good time to need medical attention.  
Stay safe all.  
 

 

Link to comment
moshe_levy
18 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Moshe, I hope your wife & family are remaining well during these trying times for health care providers.  
 

Here in SoCal cases have exploded & hospitals are at critical mass.  
 

I’m still commuting on two wheels but was transferred to a different location with a much safer commute. 
Also reporting hrs have been reduced approx 33% 

I have thought twice about adding to my risks though & not adding unnecessary side trips (on or off road).  
 

NOT a good time to need medical attention.  
Stay safe all.  
 

 

Thanks, you too. Here, it's the same. Hospitals at capacity. The "advantage" I have over you is the weather here is shit, in the mid-20s when I leave for work, so there's less temptation to ride!

 

-MKL

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

It's interesting how, during the last year, we have become accustomed to 60,000 daily new cases of COVID, and 1000 deaths per day.  When you first posted this thoughtful piece about your decision to avoid riding your motorcycle, the numbers weren't as bad as the average day now.  And very recently, I have heard that NJ is experiencing another surge.

 

So, I wonder, have you revised your thinking on the risks of riding?  Out here in the west, with lower population density and wide open spaces, I felt safe taking long trips with a couple of careful friends.  We stayed away from indoor bars and restaurants, wore masks, were careful in our motel rooms... I managed to ride about 90% of my typical miles last year.

 

And now that my friends and I are fully vaccinated, I am feeling pretty secure with the idea of spending time in the saddle this summer.  

 

Cap

Link to comment
moshe_levy

Hello Cap-

 

As you recall, the primary thesis of my video was that the fundamental rider's risk calculation had changed in the COVID era, because the level of primary medical care we are all used to went out the window as hospitals became totally overwhelmed with COVID patients. I gathered this data from my wife, a nurse of over 25 years, who described the scenes in the ER at that time as "total pandemonium." Not only in the literal sense of its appearance, but also in the sense of its completely overworked staff, many of whom were pulling multiple shifts and operating on no sleep for days. Definitely not the place you want to be after a crash. I also stressed that this was highly regional at the time, and tried to warn people that it wasn't going to stay only around here as some abstraction they heard about on the news. We all know what happened next....

 

I did largely stay off the bike in the past year. The lowest mileage year ever. In fact, I haven't changed the oil since winter 2019, meaning less than 6,000 miles. I used to average 15k a year, typically. I did take one week-long trip into remote New England with a friend and fellow moto-journalist in September. It reminded me how much I missed riding, and on the way home, I spotted a lady on a moped, which reignited that whole connection from my youth. So I got into mopeds last fall, and bought one to ride and another one to restore. I don't feel much risk on the moped, because it's so damned slow, and they also require lots of tinkering so it satisfies my need to turn wrenches too. So I'm getting most of my riding jollies on the moped at the moment. (My Youtube channel has details if anyone's interested.)

 

Yes, NJ got hit with a terrible COVID wave in late February. It wiped out over 1/3 of the workforce in my company within 2 weeks. We were struggling to survive with so many people out, and this coming week I'm unfortunately going to bury one of my dearest friends in the place, who fell ill during that time and passed away a few days ago. He was the nicest guy you could imagine - always giving with his time, very smart and competent, and just a great person. It sucks! My company was like the Twilight Zone last month, because it was being decimated by COVID at the same time the news was crowing about a recovery and light at the end of the tunnel. Most people now have returned to work. Those who were sick are getting better, slowly. Some have persistent symptoms that aren't going away and the doctors are useless in treating. It's going to be a long road.

 

Most of my family is in Israel, and over there they've been majority vaxxed for months already. They had the fastest vax rollout in the world. The restaurants, bars, concerts, etc. etc. have been in full swing. Kids are in school. Normalcy is returning. People are living life again. It's important for us to get there as soon as we can. And I know the folks in here who have been holding back fully plan to get back in the saddle ASAP. If the hospitals near you are operating normally - meaning pre-COVID capacity levels - I for one see no reason to stay off the bike. That's my 2 cents. 

 

-MKL 

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...