IGNORED

Nikwax Waterproofing Products Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Nikwax review intro

Waterproofing and Keeping your Gear Ready for the Road

Something you don’t hear about all that often are products used to take care of leathers and textiles—including tents, sleeping bags, riding suits, boots and helmets. Proper care ensures long life, and some care products also contribute to UV insulation and waterproofing capabilities.

Prior to testing Nikwax products about the only thing I ever used on textiles and tents, other than a washdown with the garden hose, was to occasionally spray them with Scotchgard. That usually did a pretty good job, but didn’t take care of the other preparatory necessities such as cleaning and reconditioning, and often wouldn’t work well without the prep.

I’m only going to cover four of Nikwaxs vast line of products in this review. Just know that they have what you need to clean, waterproof, UV protect and preserve gear from helmets to footwear. Be sure to check out their website to get more in-depth information on their complete line.

nikwax techwash

Tech Wash

Tech Wash is the first step in prepping textiles. It’s like a detergent but has been formulated specifically for outdoor-oriented, waterproofed textiles including items such as sleeping bags and tents, and I found it excellent for my riding jackets and pants, as well. Depending on how heavily used your gear is, and the weather conditions you’ve tortured them in, getting this type of gear properly cleaned for reconditioning may not be a process you’ve put much thought into. From what I know now, the last thing I’d use would be harsh detergents. Tech Wash was developed specifically for outdoor gear and seems to do exactly what’s needed to ferret out the dirt without harming the materials. Note that standard detergents also tend to build up and bind in these special fabrics. The best rule is to NEVER use them. (Note: This process also applies to GORE-TEX.)

nikwax tx

TX.Direct Wash-In

After a good cleaning with Tech Wash, the next step is to recondition and waterproof your textiles. And that’s where TX.Direct fits into the process. Nikwax makes two versions, one that you’d add as a separate cycle in your washing machine, and another comes in a spray applicator. Depending on your need, both versions have their place, but for this review I used their “Wash-In” version with great success. As it completely coats and saturates the gear, I believe it’s also generally more effective than the spray.

In order to prevent battering the material, I also used Tech Wash and TX.Direct in a cleaning bucket for some of my gear. Machines tend to be pretty brutal, and you need to consider that. I didn’t experience any issues with the handwashing technique other than it being a lot more messy (I’m no domestic goddess!). And I chose to air-dry the gear outside and in the sun, rather than use a dryer, also to prevent additional battering.

nikwax visor proof

Visor Proof

Visor Proof is a handy item to carry in your tank bag—it’s essentially a rain repellent. Its purpose is to make your helmet’s visor slicker so that rain streams off rather than beading. It doesn’t, however, affect fogging. If you’re familiar with using Rain-X on your car’s windshield, Visor Proof works in a similar way on your helmet’s visor.

nikwax solarwash

Tent & Gear Solarwash

Next up is the old topic of UV sun damage, as well as additional waterproofing. Tent & Gear Solarwash is a spray-on. As your gear ages, its UV prevention tends to disintegrate. Likewise, age and/or the sun eventually eats into the waterproofing, and tent material goes from water repelling to water attracting—like a sponge. The UV aspects are even more insidious in that over time the material becomes brittle and unusable. I used this product on an old tent and it has given it at least a couple more years of life. And, although I haven’t so far, I’m itching to try Tent & Gear Solarwash on one of my favorite old riding jackets that’s seen both a little too much sun and a lot of wear. It should do the job.

Even though you may not be aware of Nikwax, they’ve been around for over 40 years. Further, all their products are PFC-free, biodegradable, water-based, non-flammable and VOC-free. I’ve been testing their products for about a year and have since made them a permanent addition to my gear maintenance and care system. With Nikwax maintenance costs a little more, but with the costs of riding gear and high-end outdoor equipment, I can’t imagine a downside.

Nikwax.com

MSRP: Tech Wash ~$9.50 | TX.Direct ~9–$34.00 | Visor Proof ~$6.50–$12 | Tent & Gear Solarwash ~$14

PROS:

• Excellent products to clean, UV protect and waterproof your gear
  • Preserves and extends the life of everything from riding to camping gear

CONS:

• More fact of life stuff to acquire and learn to use
Nikwax review lineup2ebYeOL6DSfI

View the full article