IGNORED

R1200RTP Fuel Sup. Problem, After Recall!

kapp_o

Hello, my father recently got a 2009 R1200 RTP, with 26.5k on the clock (Miles). It had the recall done with the fuel pump having the stainless steel retainer. Here's where the story starts:

We got the bike on reserve, gas gauge to naught. Trailing my dad, we stopped at a gas station and he filled it with 4 gallons, which I found to be odd. As he went inside, I noticed this:

Fuel started leaking out from a hose at the bottom of the bike, to the left, near the kickstand, and it was leaking steady and quite a lot. We dashed and went to a family member's house, and it started leaking even when it was off, intermittently. The same amount would come out, as if the bike was purging fuel every 5-10 seconds. Having worked on my carbed DR-200, I was dumbfounded. 

It continued until we drained the tank to around 1/6 capacity. We figured maybe pressure or vac. leak is causing this so we removed the tank and pump, and noticed the previous BMW techs, absolutely ruined the pump, it was mangled, but ran perfectly. Unfortunately there is no records. We mended the wires and found the notorious level strip isn't working either, so we set to at least mend the pump. We reinstalled everything like the BMW techs we are (Humour!) and lo-and-behold, no gas was getting to the injectors, but the pump was spooling. We heard it prime, and suck. Again, having a carbed bike, I was stumped and he is too. Any help would be appreciated. 

I had the same thing on my ‘09. I t/w BMW corporate and dealer. BMW comped my fuel pump cost but not the labor. It was time for my 24k mile service so I think I came out ok $$$ wise. I hope you can do the same. Be cordial to them and good luck. 

13 hours ago, kapp_o said:

Hello, my father recently got a 2009 R1200 RTP, with 26.5k on the clock (Miles). It had the recall done with the fuel pump having the stainless steel retainer. Here's where the story starts:

We got the bike on reserve, gas gauge to naught. Trailing my dad, we stopped at a gas station and he filled it with 4 gallons, which I found to be odd. As he went inside, I noticed this:

Fuel started leaking out from a hose at the bottom of the bike, to the left, near the kickstand, and it was leaking steady and quite a lot. We dashed and went to a family member's house, and it started leaking even when it was off, intermittently. The same amount would come out, as if the bike was purging fuel every 5-10 seconds. Having worked on my carbed DR-200, I was dumbfounded. 

It continued until we drained the tank to around 1/6 capacity. We figured maybe pressure or vac. leak is causing this so we removed the tank and pump, and noticed the previous BMW techs, absolutely ruined the pump, it was mangled, but ran perfectly. Unfortunately there is no records. We mended the wires and found the notorious level strip isn't working either, so we set to at least mend the pump. We reinstalled everything like the BMW techs we are (Humour!) and lo-and-behold, no gas was getting to the injectors, but the pump was spooling. We heard it prime, and suck. Again, having a carbed bike, I was stumped and he is too. Any help would be appreciated. 

Morning kapp_o

You have a LOT going on there. 

We need a LOT more info from you before we can make a determination on why no fuel to the injectors. 

Exactly what did you change or do to the pump, to the wiring, to the hoses.

As a first place to start are you sure that you have the high pressure side quick disconnect FULLY seated all the way on?

There is also a drain hose from the fuel tank fill cap ring that passes through the fuel tank (& through the fuel) if that is disconnected, cut, or broken it will allow raw fuel to run out  near the side stand until the tank level has run down a ways.