IGNORED

2009 R1200RT Service Reminder Date Reset

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Went to my independent BMW mechanic today to have the Service Reminder Date reset on my 2009 R1200RT, which presently reads November 2019. He's done it at least 3 times on this same bike before using the same laptop, same software and same GS-911 (yellow one USB-wired with unlimited VINs). He was able to clear a few faults, run many diagnostics, and it read my mileage, model year, VIN#, etc, but we got the error message shown below. And we tried both ways: (1) the standard 365 day/10,000km default reset; and (2) the custom date/mileage reset. No joy. I can call Ted Porter Monday and ask him, but not sure he's open.  BTW my bike's LCD screen shows miles, but I guess the GS-911 shows it in km. Don't know why next mileage interval went up, but date went backwards. Any help would be most appreciated.

IMG_0826.JPG

Was there anyway to switch the mileage format to MILES on the laptop?  Thinking it needs to be displayed as it is on the bike, in miles.   Just a thought.

Technology.  Isn't is wonderful?

The Rocketman

Don't know. We were thinking of switching the laptop from km to miles, or the LCD dash from miles to km, but don't think we ever had to do that before, so we just packed it up til next time we get together.

That invalid format portion of the error box made me think that.  Interested to see what Ted Porter has to say.

Not sure about the error message, something going on there, but on every motorcycle where I've used the GS 911 (both versions) the read out has been metric.   Never really gave it much thought, lived in Germany for 10 years and the Army uses meters and am comfortable with the metric system. Not sure if there is a way to change it to imperial in the settings. 

The Rocketman

Just got this from Ted (on a Saturday night, no less...what a guy!) Forwarded to my mechanic.....

Hi Larry,

We are having no problems with the software, so not sure what's going on at your end. You might get in touch with Hexcode and see if they can help. Include your serial number and email your comments to: support@hexcode.co.za. They are very responsive and can help you through this issue.

Remember that your controller can time out if you have the key on too long, this can be remedied by cycling the key off/on. The bike should be in neutral and the kill switch in the run position. I would also make sure you are using the latest software version. 

BTW the GS-911 software can be switched between km and miles in the setup section. It's also important to make sure the laptop shows the correct date, and then check the bike's date in the same software window. If the bike's date and the computer date don't match this can cause problems. 

Please make sure he reads the words in the center of the picture you just sent, the computer date must all be the same. 

Hex will get him straightened out.

Best regards,

Ted Porter
Ph: 831-438-1100 X 113
Fax: 831-438-1104

• Like 2

You can change the service interval from KM to Miles in the GS-911 software. I am going from memory but as I recall you need to goto the menu item TOOLS and it is under OPTIONS.

My bike was reading miles and at my last service the GS-911 software was reading KM and I was able to switch it to Miles. This was within the past 3 weeks.

If that doesn't help or work I can fire up software and confirm exactly where I found it and switched.

Actually, here I found a post that seems to be same as I recall:

https://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=134.0

The Rocketman

Thanks for that suggestion. I've been e-mailing back and forth with the techs at Hexcode today and they gave some other suggestions as well which I shared with my mechanic. We'll try all of those next time we get together.