IGNORED

Final Drive Vent Sleeve / Cap Replacement

MontanaBud

I bought a replacement final drive for my 2004 RT, but it arrived with a shattered vent cap and sleeve.  I've never removed a vent cap before so not sure what I'm looking at, other than bits of plastic shards in the hole.  Is it possible some bits got inside the FD?  What to do in that case?  What's involved in replacing these parts?  I assume I can remove them from the old FD, but any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

13 hours ago, MontanaBud said:

I bought a replacement final drive for my 2004 RT, but it arrived with a shattered vent cap and sleeve.  I've never removed a vent cap before so not sure what I'm looking at, other than bits of plastic shards in the hole.  Is it possible some bits got inside the FD?  What to do in that case?  What's involved in replacing these parts?  I assume I can remove them from the old FD, but any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Morning MontanaBud

The cap just pulls off & snaps back on the sleeve. If your sleeve is damaged I (t-h-i-n-k)  it can be pulled out with a twisting & pulling BUT I haven't ever had that sleeve out (at least that I can remember anyhow).

You might also find a foam filter down in the sleeve, if so then no plastic got into  the final drive. Otherwise just run the drive  for a few miles then change the gear oil in it.