IGNORED

Wireless bluetooth helmet speakers

barc

Hi. I'd like to get (easily paired and compatible) wireless bluetooth helmet speakers that I can pair to my "16 RT. I use a Shoei helmet and don't really care about intercom or even a microphone. I basically want  good sounding speakers that I can use to listen to the bike radio without blasting out people as I ride by.

thanks for your experience/suggestions.

IMO, nothing like that exists.  You just can't overcome the road and wind noise and if, like most of us you wear earplugs to protect your ears, that further muffles the sound.  If sound quality is important you have to get in-ear monitors, wired or bluetooth.  For this application, I prefer noise blocking vs active noise-canceling as the latter still lets a lot of noise through in a helmet at speed.

Lots of options in a wide price range that will give great sound plus ear protection, I'd focus on finding what's comfortable in your ears esp with your helmet on.

• Like 1
szurszewski

I agree about the speakers - if they exist I haven't been able to find them. I usually just wear earplugs, either with a Sena in my helmet or not, but when I want to be able to actually hear music or other audio I have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 30s that I use. 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/quietcontrol-30.html#v=qc30_black

They sound great and do a good job blocking out constant background noise, like Akropovic "race" exhaust that came with GS I picked up recently, but still let you hear what's going on around you (horns, approaching traffic, etc). Battery life is decent and dependent on how "much" noise canceling you are using - I usually have it set to 50% and get about eight hours of use with that and bluetooh music. 

They have a mic but even sitting in your living room they are not good for phone calls, and useless for them on the bike - which is fine with me.

If I could get sound that good in helmet speakers, I'd be overjoyed, so please post up if you find something great!

josh

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that this wouldn't be easy. I'm considering the Bose 30, I have the Quiet comfort 20 (wired) that I use mowing the lawn etc.. and they are excellent - in fact I just bought another set. How well do these pair/work with the BMW radio? I had thought that maybe the Sena 10 might be a good option - any thoughts?

szurszewski

I can’t speak to their ability to pair with the BMW tech. I haven’t had any issues with them pairing with my phone, laptop or tablet though. They are capable of running two connections at once as well, which is nice - but not really germane to your question. Sorry!

I use a Sena 10c and a 20s. They are both ok as far as coms go, and the speakers aren’t bad, but you certainly aren’t going to have hi fidelity sound at 60mph and up - even with a quiet helmet and a fully faired bike. They do work really well for phone calls though, at reasonable speeds - though it’s rare I’ll take or make a call when riding. 

I have one of these adapters built buy Outdoor Tech.  They no longer make this model, but this looks similar.  Allows you to turn your favorite wired earphones into bluetooth ones.  I used the OT one to bring my bike home, pairing it to the bike.  Worked well on the phone as well, until Jake (one of my idiot dogs) pulled it underwater for a while.  YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/APEKX-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Hands-Free/dp/B01MUXYVOA?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

Woah.... the ANSWER is simple. Go look up SENA...

I have used two different generations of Senas and they work fine for what you want. Small speakers go with the receiver. They are mounted near your ears inside the helmet behind the liner.. There is a microphone that you can decide not to use but I suggest you consider the ease of having it. .

My set up paired to the bike's audio through the GPS, as well as to my iphone via Bluetooth. Two channels available. Pairing the first time can be a little bit fussy but not that hard. 

Thanks. I've been looking at the Sena units for awhile, and that's what I'm going to get. I've used inexpensive wired helmet speakers in the past and found they worked quite well - just hated the wires.

Barc... it is ironic... I sold my bike a retired from riding a few months ago. Last month I was gathering up all the gear and came across the Sena set that I removed from the bike.

Posted it for sale and it was gone in a NY minute...

Sorry you missed it.