IGNORED

PIAA Wiring Connection ?

EDO

Without the excruciating detail, I've got a set of PIAA 1100X's set up on my R1200RT and the wiring harness and the lights are connected with a nice soldered and wrapped connection - which is great until my next service when the side fairings will need to be removed and they will be tethered by this wire - because the EZ mount is connected to the fairing.

Here's what I'm looking for - anyone know where I can find a nice marine grade waterprrof connection plug to attach to the 12 gauge wire so it can plug in nicely and then be unplugged for service (faring removal)? I tried radio shack and they have connectors - but they were fairly cheap and not waterproof - I tried my local marine store and they did not have "pluggable" connections.

Thanks!

Ed

PS - If you are curious, I ended up with a set of powersports PIAA 1100X's and a "original" wire harness - same electrical set-up but PIAA changed the wiring harness connection on the Powersports version - I had to cut the non compatible plugs for my connection...

ShovelStrokeEd

Ed,

If you really want to have fully waterproof connectors, Weatherhead, do a Google search, are the way to go. Available in all sorts of pin configurations. I just use some coaxial power connectors, also available at Radio Shack. You have to do a bit of work on these to seal the backs of them. I used a bit of silicone over the solder joints and then slipped my shrink wrap over the the whole. They have been in service on the rear turn signals on my Blackbird (Givi changes the turn signals) and with quite a few miles of riding in torrential downpours, I have had no issues at all. Behind the fairing, instead of poking out through the rear fender, you should have no problems.

I use the 5.5 mm stuff as it matches the connectors for the Gerbings wiring harness, making my life easy.

Archived