IGNORED

Y2K R1100RS Rear Shock Replacement Options

Jim Moore

Hi Guys,

This is why I never wash my bike. I always find something wrong with it. I just noticed the rear shock is leaking on my Y2K R1100RS because I washed it for the first time in two years. Bleah.

I'm not interested in upgrading so i'm looking for a used OEM shock. Apparently there were two different rear shocks for the R1100RS. Mine has the remote preload adjuster. I don't see any of those on EBay, but I see some of the pre '96 shocks (no remote preload).

So, questions.

1. Will an older shock work if it comes to that?

2. Will any of the other oilhead shocks (RT, R, GS) work? I can't see why not, but I've never heard of it being done. it would certainly expand my search. I wouldn't even mind raising the rear end a little bit if the shock was a little longer. 

Anybody have anything in the garage that will work that they're willing to part with?

Thanks,

James in OK

My 2000 R1100RS had Ohlins shocks installed when I bought it in 2011.  So I have no experience with older OEM shocks.  That said, I'd be amazed and impressed if you found one that was in any better shape than yours.  It's a 20 year old bike that was at the end of the model's life when new, so some of the OEM RS shocks will be 26 or 27 years old.

If you can find a used Ohlins or other aftermarket shock, they can be refreshed, while the stock one cannot.  I had mine rebuilt three years ago (front and rear) - amazing difference.  And mine were not as old as the bike.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 10:08 PM, James in OK said:

My 2000 R1100RS had Ohlins shocks installed when I bought it in 2011.  So I have no experience with older OEM shocks.  That said, I'd be amazed and impressed if you found one that was in any better shape than yours.  It's a 20 year old bike that was at the end of the model's life when new, so some of the OEM RS shocks will be 26 or 27 years old.

If you can find a used Ohlins or other aftermarket shock, they can be refreshed, while the stock one cannot.  I had mine rebuilt three years ago (front and rear) - amazing difference.  And mine were not as old as the bike.

That's a good point, but I'm not really a suspension connoisseur on my street bikes. "Not leaking" is my standard of excellence.

• Like 1
James in OK

I did not think of myself as a suspension connoisseur either!  I was stunned with the difference, though, when I had them rebuilt.

• Like 1

Jim, is the rear shock a rebuildable unit?

Mike at Suspension Technologies in Clearwater might be able to help. He made my buddy's Harley suspension actually work. (It was ridiculously bad.)

Dave