Sign in to follow this  
Warren Dean

Front mud flap

Warren Dean

Has anyone used the "Extend Fenda"  front mud flap? I am just wondering if it actually keeps rocks, nails, small children, etc. out of the front of the bodywork.

I ran mud flaps on all my Harleys and they did a great job of keeping the road grime and such off the engine. 

OIP.jpg

RK Ryder

Haven't used that product but on my R1100RT I removed the front rear fender and installed a used front rear fender from a K1200LT. Keeps most small kids and stones away from the bodywork.I

Cheers!

Paul

• Like 1

Michaelr11

Yes, these things work. I’m not sure what products are on my RT because they were there when I bought it. But the front and rear fenders are longer than factory with add-on attachments. The only part that still gets any dirt or road spray is the front of the bottom cowling.

Warren Dean

Thanks for the replies. I may just cough up the $30 and buy one.

Cheers!

Warren

Paul De

Yes these do work. I bought an one piece extended rear fender to keep tar gravel and sand from the ruining the belly pan fairing piece and off the front engine cover.  Does a great job and found no ill effects of the front wheel either.  Don't understand why BMW put a short fender on a touring bike in the first place.

PAS

I put one on my 03 RT and it worked great!

AviP

Interesting. I might splurge on one too.

dirtrider
14 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

Has anyone used the "Extend Fenda"  front mud flap? I am just wondering if it actually keeps rocks, nails, small children, etc. out of the front of the bodywork.

I ran mud flaps on all my Harleys and they did a great job of keeping the road grime and such off the engine. 

Morning Warren

They do work pretty good for basic road riding  & minor road debris kick up.

If you install one & plan to ride where you get mud build-up between the tire & fender then you might want to consider a more solid installation. I ride a lot of gravel & mud roads so I definitely use one of those fender-extenders. I also remove that darn 2 side sticky tape & install using 3 (large headed) pop rivets with stainless (or brass) back-up washers on the inside of the fender & silicone sealer/adhesive between the fender-extender & the motorcycle fender to seal/retain it more securly (this keeps the mud & crud from getting between the fender extender & the fender). This will keeps it on no matter what you ride through or in.

As received they are usually just a bit short to protect the bottom of the engine case & lower edge of the exhaust crossover pipe so I typically add a soft rubber lower lip extension (full width) using large headed pop rivets & an aluminum band across the inside. The soft rubber will  allow contact without damage but also prevent a lot of debris from hitting the lower engine crankcase & front pipe.    

I have been using those things for years (way back when we had to make our own) & they do work good. 

I haven't ever broken one (on my street bikes anyhow) but over time they do seem to discolor a bit as the plastic isn't totally UV/ozone protected.  

Lowndes

Warren Dean,

What DR said above, especially about them being a bit short.

I extended the Extenda with a piece of an old innertube cut to fit.  Sometimes it gets pushed back but actually it works better (protects more of the bike and clears the lower tupperware, too) this way.  

When I went shopping for these several years ago I found a huge disparity in pricing for the same simple piece of plastic, fron $35 down to about $12 from all kinds of sources.  I can't recall now where I finally got them.

Most of the grit is picked up by the tire and is thrown back from the tire contact patch on the pavement.  If you imagine a straight line from the patch back and up to the mud flap/extender, that will show the area not protected.

ifPe-snAGZaH1sWffy1l9HFYf34TojumV-9adQeM6mOaO_HiRt9Btfabppa7qVtWzMOOZSQCDgTJuVGEq308Yxr5hmx5mP0K4Gk7wD-tXYTIPDxAsGPXDBJJ

This is a '99 RT with the Fenda Extenda and extra 'flap.  I had to put a few washers under the bottom

/middle screw thru the fender so the Extenda would clear the tupperware.