IGNORED

Suggestions for new riding pants

eddd

I have an older (much older) pair of BMW Air Flow pants that I really like but will eventually need to be replaced. I use these for my on road bike touring bike. These pants are of course textile.  They are not mesh but have a zippered opening on each thigh for venting.  The venting is nice, but not all that important.  Here's what I've tried so far:

- Rev it Sand 3

- Klim Latitude
- Alpine Star Raider

None of these were in close to being acceptable for various reason.  Trying these different pants has made it clear what I don't want, and what I want.  No thermal or rain liners, just basic pants.  I do not want riding jeans.  I'm on the small slender side so the more fitted European styles are fine.  Suggestions are appreciated.

RandyShields
9 hours ago, ltljohn said:

One word, MOTOPORT expensive but worth it.  Custom made to your measurements. Check them out.

+1.  The mesh Kevlar material is stronger than any other textile as well as leather.  Rated for the track and won't melt when sliding along the pavement like some other textile materials.

RandyShields
5 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

+1.  The mesh Kevlar material is stronger than any other textile as well as leather.  Rated for the track and won't melt when sliding along the pavement like some other textile materials.

Here is a link to Moshe's review of the pants.

RandyShields

Yep, the second you drop your guard it’s over! :D

Well, the moderators need to ratchet down that place quick!

I'm not interested in overpants, and I've seen the Motoport air mesh and I'm not a fan.  Way too stiff and bulky, and the mesh holds water, lots of water.  

They do have some pants in their "jeans" section that look like they might fit the bill since they are jeans only in the sense of having a jeans-style look.  I'll give them a call when they open.

John Bentall
15 hours ago, eddd said:

I do not want riding jeans.  

There you go. Jeans are the latest fashion and manufacturers are pouring millions of dollars into developing new materials that are stronger (in terms of slide time) than leather. You're not interested and I'm curious to learn why. 

My suggestion for you - another pair of BMW Airflows. 

2 minutes ago, John Bentall said:

There you go. Jeans are the latest fashion and manufacturers are pouring millions of dollars into developing new materials that are stronger (in terms of slide time) than leather. You're not interested and I'm curious to learn why. 

My suggestion for you - another pair of BMW Airflows. 

The current Airflow are completely different from my old pair, and no longer what I'm after.  Many if not most of the current jeans being offered by various vendors are little more than glorified regular jeans.  I want the entire pant to be made of abrasion resistant material, not just some blend.  Armor is sketchy at best in most of the jeans being offered, and I need opening at the leg for proper fit over my boots.  Like I mentioned, the ones form Motoport show some promise.

szurszewski

I had some Hood “jeans” I really liked. Cordura shell, full aramid lining and good armor placement at knees/shins and hips - they fit just right over my street boots, but no leg zippers or anything like that and no venting options. 

I have been really happy with 2 different pants for several years and thousands of miles

1. Revit Cayenne PRO ... I think they're listed as adventure riding pants but I find them perfect for long rides on my RT. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-cayenne-pro-pants

2. Aerostitch Utility pants ... https://www.aerostich.com/suits/jackets-pants/utility-pants/aerostich-utility-pants.html

Well, if you don't want liners, don't really need nor want mesh, definitely don't want jeans, and don't mind a european manufacturer & fit, how about the BMW Atlantis 4 pants? No liner, good protection, and, depending on who you ask, holding up well in the rain.

11 minutes ago, Gruesome said:

Well, if you don't want liners, don't really need nor want mesh, definitely don't want jeans, and don't mind a european manufacturer & fit, how about the BMW Atlantis 4 pants? No liner, good protection, and, depending on who you ask, holding up well in the rain.

Not a big fan of leather for touring.  Textiles have developed to the point that they offer the best of all the qualities you want in pants/jackets.  That being said, there is nothing like the feeling of protection I get when I zip up in my track leathers.

I have a couple of fabric samples on the way to me from Motoport.  

Try Vanson. Most people think leather when they think of Vanson, but they make some nice textile gear too. I have one of their textile jackets and like it. They have pants and overpants and are American made.

Edd, I have to tell you, for years I was riding with the BMW Motorrad Pants and they were the most comfortable, sturdy and human-friendly pants I ever owned.

The bad news is that I had and end-of-riding garage sale for all my gear and they sold immeditely.

Here is one vendor: https://www.revzilla.com/bmw-pants

P.s. these show up a black/dark yet mine were tan...