IGNORED

replacing a high beam lamp

Jharpphoto

Hi fellas

Is there a definitive video/instructional link to replacing a high beam lamp on an 2011 RT?  It looks pretty tight in there to replace the bulb without removing some stuff. Can this be done without removing any of the instrument cluster etc?

You CAN do it but it's a be-otch. I've only been able to replace the left low beam. I think that now that I've had the housing off and on a couple of times I might be able to do it in-situ now but that's not really what you're asking.

Left main beam reach in from top with right hand standing up next to bike.  

Right main beam I had success by reaching up from the bottom from under the front of the bike with my left hand sitting down or squatting so my arm can move around. 

The high beam is the same as the left main beam. 

Tricky part is to make sure you align the tabs on the base of the bulb and make sure the retaining clips are properly engaged. 

Best thing to do is once you get the cover off the left main beam take a photo with your phone to see what it looks like and get a better idea on what your in for.

Don't sweat it. We all have hard times relamping. I still have difficulty just when I thought I nailed it.  Best thing to do is buy H7 LL bulbs. LL is Long Life. 

Oh one more thing. If you have fat fingers or short stubby fingers you will have a challenging time. 

Good luck. 

14 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

Hi fellas

Is there a definitive video/instructional link to replacing a high beam lamp on an 2011 RT?  It looks pretty tight in there to replace the bulb without removing some stuff. Can this be done without removing any of the instrument cluster etc?

Morning Jharpphoto

It CAN be done without removing anything but can be a bit tricky the first time. If the horn gets in your way you can loosen or remove the bolt then move the horn out of the way.

As mentioned above doing the left hand side is usually easier by standing on the L/H side of the motorcycle then reaching down in (this assumes that you are a right handed person). Play with handlebar position to make the reaching-in  easier. 

The right hand side is usually much easier working from the front then reaching up over the front fender (at least for a right handed person)

If you are somewhat ambidextrous then you can do both from the front as working from the front you can look in through the headlight lens to verify that bulb is properly seated in the housing. 

I usually sit on a milk crate as that allows steadier control of your arm & hands than trying to just squat or kneel  & do it.  

To start with the plastic covers over the bulb cavity just unscrew using your fingers on the  vanes molded on the covers.   

In any case, the couple of got-ya's are  breaking a retaining clip while trying to horse them out of the slots & off of the bulb. You need to be gentle with them  & know exactly how to manipulate the spring clips to un-clip them. DO NOT BREAK one as they are not available from BMW. You need to move the lower end of the  clip wire slightly forward (toward front of motorcycle) while at the same time moving the lower end of the retaining clip AWAY from the bulb. 

The other got-ya is when removing the wire connector from the bulb. If you pull on the connector too hard or at the wrong angle that puts great force on the bulb base  & can break or bend the retaining clips.  I usually give "removing the connector" with the bulb in place a decent chance (sometimes wiggling the connector while pulling on it helps unseat it)  but if it feels like I need to pull with too much force I then leave the connector on the bulb then remove the bulb with the connector & wire still attached.   Then find a way to remove the connector from the bulb with the bulb hanging free. (CAUTION: do NOT break or bend  a clip).

The other thing to look for at reassembly is that the  little tang on the bulb is properly & fully seated in it's corresponding slot in the bulb housing. If working from the front of motorcycle this can be verified by looking in though the headlight lens. It can be a bit tricky to get the bulb seated properly & in the slot the first time that you change a bulb so  pay particular attention to this step. When looking in through the headlight lens if the bulb looks crooked then the bulb probably isn't seated correctly. 

First time is a REAL pain by the 3rd bulb it is usually a 2-3 minute job. 

Added:  Check your messages as I sent you some additional info_

sAwHx9g.jpg

• Like 1

thanks so much for the great info gentlemen.  I have a bulb on order and will refer to your great notes when it arrives. I'll post again when i attempt this.  Thinking my 11 yr old son my be very "handy" in this situation.

I also found this video helpful as well

bulb replacement video

is the high beam bulb the same as the low beam bulb?  I didn't see a separate high beam bulb on the Maxbmw website so I ordered an H7 bulb.  Hope that is the right one.

4 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

is the high beam bulb the same as the low beam bulb?  I didn't see a separate high beam bulb on the Maxbmw website so I ordered an H7 bulb.  Hope that is the right one.

Morning Jharpphoto

Yes, go back to MaxBMW & look the bulb up again, under the QTY column  you should see (3).  That means 3 bulbs required, bike uses 2 low beam & one high beam (3 total).

Oh and one more thing to add since we all focused on how to replace the bulb. Do not touch the glass on the bulb with your fingers. I usually as a personal preference use an alcohol wipe pad and give them a quick wiping down. 

24 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Jharpphoto

Yes, go back to MaxBMW & look the bulb up again, under the QTY column  you should see (3).  That means 3 bulbs required, bike uses 2 low beam & one high beam (3 total).

I did see that qty of 3 on MaxBMW but I ordered only 1 bulb (my low beam is out) on drivers right side.  I don't see a different bulb for the high beam.  Looks like all the bulbs are H7 designation.

21 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

I did see that qty of 3 on MaxBMW but I ordered only 1 bulb (my low beam is out) on drivers right side.  I don't see a different bulb for the high beam.  Looks like all the bulbs are H7 designation.

Morning Jharpphoto

Yes, same bulb. In fact any H-7 will work. I used to to use the  Osram 65 watt bulb (H-9 bulb on the H-7 base as it gave more light & lasted a LOT longer due to the H-9 bulb it was built around).

Unfortunately that old Osram bulb is no longer available (at least at a decent price) & the replacement Osram is too high of a wattage to use with the BMW's stock wiring. 

Using an LL (long life bulb)  H-7 is sometimes advantageous as they typically last longer but if you go that route just make sure that the bulb  is UV protected if possible (should say so on the box). 

You might want to consider replacing both low beam bulbs at the same time as long as  you are working on it as usually  the other side low beam failure  is not far behind the first side failure, time wise.   

just replaced the bulb and yes it is indeed a pain in the arse.  I had to recruit my 11 yr old to get his little paw in the very cramped space. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Saw this a bit late.  Last time I did this, I put a jumper, connector extension, on that lamp.  Made the wires a few inches longer, but I didn't have to worry about fat fingering the bulb as much since it let me move around in the blind zone.  I was running out of alcohol wipes from touching it so many times previously.

1 hour ago, Danny caddyshack Noonan said:

Saw this a bit late.  Last time I did this, I put a jumper, connector extension, on that lamp.  Made the wires a few inches longer, but I didn't have to worry about fat fingering the bulb as much since it let me move around in the blind zone.  I was running out of alcohol wipes from touching it so many times previously.

Those plugs do get hard and brittle over time. Two of mine just cracked in my hand while relamping both main beams. I replaced them with a  very short extension harness that is heat resistant. See photo. So far so good until I have to relamp the high beam. I'm sure that's the next to go. 

20180107_140718.jpg