IGNORED

Virgin Trailer Queen needs help pls - to Geza or not?

MightNotBeThere

MightNotBeThere

I've finally conceded partial defeat and I'm going to try a trailer.

Every year I go to Eureka Springs for a week - it's about 650 mostly boring miles of one-day misery each way getting there and back, so I thought I'd try a Kendon and see what I think. Might love it, might hate it - will have to see. I've done so many long trips and been lucky enough to ride many many miles on some of the best roads on earth, meaning that going straight north through Louisiana and Arkansas doesn't have much of a ring of magic to it any more - but the roads are great when you get there! Maybe I'm just getting old...

Anyway, the question: Geza say their cover can and should be used while trailering - anyone got any experience and recommendations in that respect? I don't have a stone guard on the trailer.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

DavidEBSmith

I wouldn't use a cover when trailering. I've seen too many covers flapping in the wind beating the crap out of the paint. All it takes is one little spot where the cover is a little loose, and it's like you left a belt sander sitting running on your bike.

And as anybody who's seen my bike can testify, I don't even particularly care about my bike's esthetic values, so if I'm against covering it on a trailer, you know it must be bad.

As far as stone guards and wear and tear on an uncovered bike on a trailer, is it gonna be any more than it would be if you were riding it at the same speed down the same highway behind semis and gravel trucks? Whether it's being pulled or self-propelled, it's travelling at the same speed through the same cloud of road debris.

MightNotBeThere

The last part certainly makes sense - if anything it will be going considerably slower since with a trailer I doubt I'll be exceeding the speed limit by very much!! Who would have thought that a trailer would contribute to staying more or less within the law??

Good point about the cover, I think.

No cover it is, then!

Alex

As far as stone guards and wear and tear on an uncovered bike on a trailer, is it gonna be any more than it would be if you were riding it at the same speed down the same highway behind semis and gravel trucks?

Actually, without some type of stone guard on the trailer, damage can be significant if the bike is being hit with debris kicked up by the tow vehicles tires. Example: freshly gravelled road.

WeirdHarold
I've finally conceded partial defeat and I'm going to try a trailer.

Every year I go to Eureka Springs for a week - it's about 650 mostly boring miles of one-day misery each way getting there and back, so I thought I'd try a Kendon and see what I think.

Of course I'm biased, but it seems to me that driving a cage that's pulling a trailer has got to be even more boring than riding a motorcycle through the plains.

What's your secret for reducing boredom in the cage?

Don

MightNotBeThere

Never done it before so I'll find out - but certainly neither car nort bike is entertaining on the flat. Since I drive to & from Houston with monotonous regularity about the only thing I've found that helps is audiobooks. Surprisingly, they really do help while away time on the "incredibly exciting" I-10.

I've always felt the need to be very aware while on the bike, but driving a car at a vaguley normal pace is mostly an autopilot event. Even in a 911, Lafayette to Houston was dull - even when doing it in under 2 hours 40 minutes, when your attention is firmly focused on the radar detector and looking for people with colorful vehicle roof decoration.

As I said, this is my first trailer experience - I might hate it or I might not. What is definitely does though is open up alternatives - for example I'd have NO interest in riding a Duc 999 650 miles in a day but it would be a blast to have around Eureka Springs. Overall, thje trailer will either expand what I can enjoy, or it will be for sale in a couple of weeks.

Alex

I think you would love it when its cold and wet out.
Exactly, it's a whole lot more comfortable being bored in a cage when it's cold and wet or hot and sweaty outside. Campers can also carry a lot more and be more comfortable off the bike - see my trailer at Death Valley! Others are also glad sometimes, battery charger, spare parts, it's almost a social responsibility to trailer...

We trailer our RT on a Single Rail Kendon behind our Motorhome....done so for 4 years and thousands of miles. DO NOT COVER IT! As stated elsewhere, the flapping fabric will sand down your paintwork quicker than an old fashioned bastard file eek.gif

The bike has a few coats of Meguiars Deep Crystal polish and Carnauba wax plus carry a sheepskin washing mitt and a large jug of Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash with us. I then give it a good wash wherever we are camped up THEN cover it up with my Exigent cover thumbsup.gif

It's not just the big stuff getting chucked up that you have to worry about, just plain old road dust get's everywhere! Don't even ask how it looks if we go through a rain shower ooo.gifooo.gif Look's like a damn scrambler grin.gif

Archived