IGNORED

Tupperware screw locations

Warren Dean

Warren Dean

Has anyone ever done a definitive post on the proper locations for the 3 or 4 different screws that attach the Tupperware to an 1100RT? There are short pointy screws, short blunt screws, medium pointy screws, medium blunt screws...you see my point. I know where the long ones go but I would just like to make sure I have them in their proper positions.

Cheers!

Warren

Warren Dean
27 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

This may HELP but, if not, maybe a better answer will show up. ;)

Hey Warren, you may need some of this...Just Sayin' :dontknow: :D

joh70261.jpg

Bwahahaha!!!

• Haha 1

As stock, the 3 different length screws all had pointy ends.

Any screws that don't have those screws with the points on are not from the fairing or (more likely) aftermarket items.

If this is your first time doing this, take your time, leave everything loose until everything is lined up. DO NOT cross thread these screws.

Don't overtighten them, they only need the lightest of nips.

Warren Dean
2 hours ago, AndyS said:

As stock, the 3 different length screws all had pointy ends.

Any screws that don't have those screws with the points on are not from the fairing or (more likely) aftermarket items.

If this is your first time doing this, take your time, leave everything loose until everything is lined up. DO NOT cross thread these screws.

Don't overtighten them, they only need the lightest of nips.

No, not my first time and I was kind of curous as to why there would be pointy ones and blunt ones. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks.

:)

Cheers!

Warren

Its tempting to get stainless steel screws rather than the aluminum screws, but the stainless are likely to strip the the threaded insert because they don't have a point to guide the screw in perpendicular to the insert.

Miguel

1 hour ago, Warren Dean said:

No, not my first time and I was kind of curous as to why there would be pointy ones and blunt ones. I think I have it figured out now. Thanks.

:)

Cheers!

Warren

Afternoon Warren

Some end up with a couple of flat ended screws after removing the Tupperware & removing the fuel tank for service (even with the original factory screws).

There are 2 screws in the front of the fuel tank that some remove thinking that they need removal for fuel tank removal. Those screws  are there to attach  tank bag mounting straps if a tank bag is later installed.   On non-tank-bag bikes those screws are basically there to just plug the threaded holes. (no need to remove for tank removal) 

Those front tank screws (shown in picture below) should only be flat end, not pointed, as the screw holes are not very deep & the tank plastic isn't very thick under the screws. 

ItjTVKg.jpg

Warren Dean

Glad to know how I will attach my new to me Marsee tank bag at the front. And I'll just leave the straps attached. Sweet!! Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Warren

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Miguel! said:

Its tempting to get stainless steel screws rather than the aluminum screws, but the stainless are likely to strip the the threaded insert because they don't have a point to guide the screw in perpendicular to the insert.

Miguel

That's where 30+ years of messing with things mechanical and fasteners comes in handy...LOL  :)  I'll stick with what is there for now as it seems to work fine. Thanks.

Cheers!

Warren

22 minutes ago, Warren Dean said:

Glad to know how I will attach my new to me Marsee tank bag at the front. And I'll just leave the straps attached. Sweet!! Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Warren

Evening Warren

BMW used to offer special clips to go on the front of tank  (on those screws  mentioned in my post above) those allow the tank bag straps to clip on  & off.

I haven't seen those clips available in a long time now but you might find some on E-Bay, or pretty easy to make something similar to fit your tank bag strap hooks. (picture will give you some idea).

o4vRP2t.jpg 

FWIW I made a drawing on cardboard and poked holes in it for each screw so I could put it back in the same hole it came out of.

• Like 1
Warren Dean
39 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

FWIW I made a drawing on cardboard and poked holes in it for each screw so I could put it back in the same hole it came out of.

That is brilliant!!!  I wish I had thought of it....  :P

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Warren

BMW used to offer special clips to go on the front of tank  (on those screws  mentioned in my post above) those allow the tank bag straps to clip on  & off.

I haven't seen those clips available in a long time now but you might find some on E-Bay, or pretty easy to make something similar to fit your tank bag strap hooks. (picture will give you some idea).

o4vRP2t.jpg 

I just got through doing it the redneck way...screws through the straps and let them hang there. It's the way my other 97 had been set up worked pretty well. I sure like the idea of the BMW ones, though.

20 minutes ago, Warren Dean said:

That is brilliant!!!  I wish I had thought of it....  :P

I learned it here on the board

• Like 1

I used the two front screws to attach my Marsee 12 liter tank bag.  Bike is gone but like new tank bag isnt.  Anyone looking for one?

Warren Dean
2 minutes ago, AviP said:

I just throw all the 30-40 screws in a pile and just wing it. The beer eases the pain!:3:

Good plan!!  :18: