Still CAL

97 RT with Conti Trail Attack 2 tires

Still CAL

I'm wanting to put some tires on my RT that will be easier on my nerves and body traversing the five miles one-way of gravel, rock, scree, blind curves and cow pats between the house and the nearest pavement. I like the looks of this tire, and it's billed as 85% road, 15% off-road. The front comes in OEM sizes but the rear is 150/70ZR-18 vs 160/60ZR-18. This should fit fine, yes?  Thanks for the input.

conti.jpg

conti f.jpg

dirtrider
7 hours ago, Still CAL said:

I'm wanting to put some tires on my RT that will be easier on my nerves and body traversing the five miles one-way of gravel, rock, scree, blind curves and cow pats between the house and the nearest pavement. I like the looks of this tire, and it's billed as 85% road, 15% off-road. The front comes in OEM sizes but the rear is 150/70ZR-18 vs 160/60ZR-18. This should fit fine, yes?  Thanks for the input.

Morning  Still CAL

With only a 15% off-road rating those things won't do a lot to calm your my nerves and body when traversing  gravel, rock, scree, blind curves and cow parts unless you air them way down below common road use pressures.

As far as fitting the motorcycle? -- They should fit OK, but until you actually do it then that is just a guess based on sizes offered & the factory rear rim width. Your rear rim is at about max width for a 150/70 tire size but as far as I can tell is within the fitment window.  

When Harley riders went the other way from a  150/70 to a 160/60 some ended up with high speed wobble complaints so changing sizes can have some unexpected surprises.

My one best suggestion is to call Continental & ask for  their input on what you want to do as they know their products better than we do.    

Still CAL

I'll give them a call then. As you know or may remember, one issue with the R1100RT is that darn 18" rear wheel and the lack of choices out there for it. I've been finding the 150/70 sizes but haven't run across the 160/60 size yet. I haven't looked that hard but I will later today, not trying to dodge the due-diligence thing, just haven't applied myself yet. But I will. Chap Moto and other sites allow you to search by size so I'll do that this evening.

Right now I'm working on my latest purchase, a 93 K75 S with 16,000 miles on it. It's been neglected so going through it like I did the RT, should be ready for a road text next week. I was able to take the RT out for a short gravel run yesterday, down the canyon a couple miles and back. Lots of popping from the tires as they shot little rocks left and right. Man, am I ready to go riding!

dirtrider
23 minutes ago, Still CAL said:

I'll give them a call then. As you know or may remember, one issue with the R1100RT is that darn 18" rear wheel and the lack of choices out there for it. I've been finding the 150/70 sizes but haven't run across the 160/60 size yet. I haven't looked that hard but I will later today, not trying to dodge the due-diligence thing, just haven't applied myself yet. But I will. Chap Moto and other sites allow you to search by size so I'll do that this evening.

Right now I'm working on my latest purchase, a 93 K75 S with 16,000 miles on it. It's been neglected so going through it like I did the RT, should be ready for a road text next week. I was able to take the RT out for a short gravel run yesterday, down the canyon a couple miles and back. Lots of popping from the tires as they shot little rocks left and right. Man, am I ready to go riding!

Afternoon Still CAL

You will probably get that same stone popping with the Conti Trail Attack 2  tires if you keep the tire pressures up to on-road pressures.

Drop the pressures down to the low 20's, even on your present street tires, & a lot of that stone popping & weird wandering on gravel  will become much better. 

Still CAL

I had thought to air them down, but my typical rides are: 5 miles gravel, 100 miles pavement, 5 miles gravel. I've considered getting a small air pump that some here are using (or maybe it's another forum I'm on) since I have a BMW adapter for the power outlets. I know the ride would be much improved on the loose stuff with lower pressures. Thanks for the input, as usual.