IGNORED

New Lid

Rougarou

Picked me up an open box from Helmet Country, $629 Neotec II

60687134872__57534719-E03A-42E5-B48F-54E4A935AD4D.thumb.JPG.b7438fafc606fd657866585dce15e44d.JPG

60687132079__9B25EB63-4835-41D1-9E6D-31F59A1BFCBF.thumb.JPG.42d9bf44fc056f511e0db42d5e979460.JPG

Ordered on the 19th, here today.

It's a fashion show ;)

• Haha 1

Beautiful helmet and perhaps the subject for another thread but here goes. I really like the feel of the Neotec II but haven’t pulled the trigger because of all the mixed reviews on the Sena SRL that neatly integrates with it. Anybody with input on the SRL?

Jim:  I hope others have better results with the integral Sena in Shoei Note than I did.  After two units that wouldn't last more than 3 hours, I gave up and bought a 30S.  No fault with Shoei, and Sena replaced one unit, but the right speaker went dead and they are not replaceable (if that's a word).  Sorry to be negative about the integral experience, but I have 2-30s Sena's that perform wonderfully.

RandyShields

Good looking helmet.  I like the fit and finish of the new Sena unit in the Neotec II, but have not heard any reports on how well that Sena unit works or lasts.  I have not jumped to the new helmet because  I have a Neotec I with the built in Sena 10U.  It worked fine for a little less than 2.5 years, when the battery started dying after 5-6 hours or so.  I replaced the entire unit before my western ride last year, and Lowndes was able to replace the battery in the original unit, so I am good with those for a while.  Based on what I've read about these units, I will probably go with the Cardo Pactalk next, unless Sena takes some big steps to catch up and exceed the performance of the Cardo unit.

I can't do an integrated set up as much as I'd like to.  They just don't pump enough sound to overtake the wind noise.  This mornings ride in was the first ride with the Shoei and I was hoping that the speakers of the 20s would be sufficient inside the new helmet (previous modular was a Schuberth C3), but nope, on my way home this afternoon, I'll plug up the Shure isolating ear buds and be good again.

The helmet, for the first 50 mile ride, is extremely comfortable.  I did err on the small side as I was between mm's for L and M and went with the M.  Over time, the foam will conform, but as it sits, it felt just fine.

The Schuberth is long overdue for retirement, I think it's nine years old,.......I may take it out this weekend and practice "failure drills" with the pistols, two to the chest and one to the helmet, while moving.

5 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

I will probably go with the Cardo Pactalk next, unless Sena takes some big steps to catch up and exceed the performance of the Cardo unit.

Have you tested the Pactalk out yet, if so, how loud is that, enough to overcome wind noise and at volume, does it sound tinny?

RandyShields
14 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Have you tested the Pactalk out yet, if so, how loud is that, enough to overcome wind noise and at volume, does it sound tinny?

I have not.  Just reacting to the various reviews I have read, including this one on RevZilla about the best units for 2020.  No data, but Sena did not even make the list. Note the slim unit that fits nicely into helmets.

https://youtu.be/fR8bsIx5MYo

I have the Neotec II with the integrated SRL and can confirm that it is outstanding when it works but the speakers go bad.  I sent my unit off to PlugUp in Florida and had them modify it for a plug in headphone jack.   I use the I s-Plugs.  http://www.plugup.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=S+22-3.5-4.5

I also have a helmet with the Packtalk and, other than confusing buttons without enough tactile feedback, I love it.  That unit already includes an earphone jack.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
On 3/26/2020 at 4:13 AM, Rougarou said:

I can't do an integrated set up as much as I'd like to.  They just don't pump enough sound to overtake the wind noise.  This mornings ride in was the first ride with the Shoei and I was hoping that the speakers of the 20s would be sufficient inside the new helmet (previous modular was a Schuberth C3), but nope, on my way home this afternoon, I'll plug up the Shure isolating ear buds and be good again.

I don't know what bike you're on, but on both of mine (see below), I have no problem hearing the 20S on my Neotec while wearing earplugs!  I do know that the sound level is extremely  sensitive to speaker placement in the helmet.  It took a while to get them perfectly aligned with my ears.  Could that be your issue?  Or maybe in my setup, my earplugs are killing the wind noise but not the audio.

• Like 1

If you still have them, you might try putting in some spacers (that come with the Sena units) behind your speakers so that they are closer to your ears. Mine actually touch my ears so they also isolate my ears from the wind noise a bit. Big difference in sound by doing that and making sure the speakers are centered on your ears as previously mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 7:13 AM, Rougarou said:

Rougarou,

"More volume" to "overtake the wind noise" might not be a good choice.  Over time the wind noise will destroy your hearing.  You will eventually need "more volume" all the time to overtake your lack of hearing.  AMHIK.  

The S-Plug by Plugup https://www.plugup.com/default.asp works very well.  Talk to Marilyn there.  She is very knowledgable about motorcyclests and hearing.

I fabricated a small jack for the S-Plug without cutting any wires on the SENA SRL (there is an OEM connector in the speakers).  The S-Plugs solved two issues I have; excellent audio for comms, phone, GPS, etc (for my degraded hearing) and blocking the wind noise all the time (to protect what hearing I have left).

• Like 1
fourteenfour

I really wanted to move to this helmet but I could not get sufficient space between my chin and the chin bar, I literally felt like I was being suffocated. Really nice quality helmet but it does not fit like other Shoei helmets.

1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Rougarou,

"More volume" to "overtake the wind noise" might not be a good choice.  Over time the wind noise will destroy your hearing.  You will eventually need "more volume" all the time to overtake your lack of hearing.  AMHIK.  

The S-Plug by Plugup https://www.plugup.com/default.asp works very well.  Talk to Marilyn there.  She is very knowledgable about motorcyclests and hearing.

I fabricated a small jack for the S-Plug without cutting any wires on the SENA SRL (there is an OEM connector in the speakers).  The S-Plugs solved two issues I have; excellent audio for comms, phone, GPS, etc (for my degraded hearing) and blocking the wind noise all the time (to protect what hearing I have left).

Hehe, I already wear hearing aids, 23 years of pew-pew and boom-booms will get you those for free.....I'm very well aware of what hearing I have left that's why I said I can't do an integrated system and do use Shure isolating ear buds.  With those ear buds, the volume remains decent in that it does block out the excess noise and allow for the tunes to come through.

Prior to getting the Shure ear buds, I'd wear Beats, they did block out the excess wind noise but I finally wore those out.  I then went to ear plugs and the Sena,......meh, not loud enough to hear clearly (phone calls and tunes).

If the Paltalk has better quality helmet speakers that push enough volume that is not tinny, I may go back to plugs and helmet speakers, but until then, it'll be the Shures that I use.  I'd much rather just put plugs in and go than have to "re-route/put away" the cable of the buds.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:33 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I don't know what bike you're on, but on both of mine (see below), I have no problem hearing the 20S on my Neotec while wearing earplugs!  I do know that the sound level is extremely  sensitive to speaker placement in the helmet.  It took a while to get them perfectly aligned with my ears.  Could that be your issue?  Or maybe in my setup, my earplugs are killing the wind noise but not the audio.

'06 1200RT and 19 GSA.  Moving speakers as close as possible helps and for ear plugs, I used Etymotic Research brand, still doesn't negate the tinniness of the 20S speakers.