IGNORED

Hard bag Scuffed

1100RTGuy

Hey people,

I need some help. frown.gif I was returning home from seeing my sister in the hospital and Lost a hard bag along the highway. I was able to retreive the bag but it's all scuffed up. It must've come off at 60 + mph. What's the best way to smooth out the scuffs and make it good half way nice again? I thought of a sander with fine sandpaper. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! thumbsup.gif

I would pop the lids off & take them to a local body shop. They should be able to sand & color match them to your bike for about one hundred & fifty bucks. Thats what I was charged on my 03rt, it really looked nice. Or like you said sand paper & a can of satin black paint. Good luck.. Pat

Agent_Orange

My right bag took off on my trip to Newfoundland. I secured it for the rest of the trip with duct tape. The dealer redid the latch under warrenty, but the case was outta luck.

Sooo, I just left it the way it was, scuffs and all.

I believe they call it character. tongue.gif

Michael_T

I believe they call it character. tongue.gif

I agree; just tell anyone who asks that it was just a sharp curve and a very hard lean. cool.gif

Check this thread; Some good ideas

The 440 grit sandpaper idea sounds good. You could also try painting the side cases, except that their going to just get scuffed again by boot scrapes, etc.. Line-x (bed liner) would probably work better than paint.

Why did the bag(s) fall of the bike? Was one of those top male curved parts not down properly in the slots? Or was it a case of the handles not locked down properly? I take mine on and off a lot and it gets me nervous especially when I'm tooling around 80 mph.

motoguy128

That's why unpainted black cases are nice.

Thanks for posting hte story, I'll be more careful when mounting the cases. The lath seemed like a go/no go sort of affir, but it sounds like it's possible to come loose.

I noticed you said 60+. There is a warning that says don't exceed 110 with bags attatched? Maybe they blow off at that speed?

I've got the matt black bags and they seem to get (lightly) scuffed just getting on and off. Also I have a few nicks in the fairing. It shows through to what looks like black poly? plastic. Can it be filled and repaired. Epoxy? Bondo? I have no idea what would stick to the material.

I think that waring is mostly for legal reasons. If these bags blew off just from the speed of the bike there wouldn't be many BMWs left with bags on them (mine included).

I noticed you said 60+. There is a warning that says don't exceed 110 with bags attatched? Maybe they blow off at that speed?

brennaman

I just saw a similar thread, this really worked for me.

I had a saddlebag fall off of my bike at about 80 mph and go sliding down the hiway. Needless to say it was a little scuffed up. It really looked bad, so I took some 440 grit sandpaper and sanded it all down. When I was finished I showed a guy at work, and he had no idea which one had fallen off the bike. It will make it a little smoother, so it reflects light a little more, so I did the other saddlebag, and you can't tell anything was done. It was very little time to get them looking brand new again. Phil

PS, after you get the bigger scratches out work your way up to as fine of sandpaper you can get, 1200 grit I think.

1100RTGuy

Thanks to all who replied, I think I'll try the sand paper first and then call the boneyard for replacment if the paper doesn't work out. Again, thanks!! clap.gif

Tim_Hendrickson

Drill out your hinge rivets, remove your lids, take them to a Rhino Liner or Line-X place, have them sprayed. Problem Solved! Only time I have ever lost a bag was my fault (Twice), First was ugly, second time (bags coated) no visibile damage without a microscope. Got pics if you wanna look.

Tim H

• 4 weeks later...

Archived