IGNORED

Life of a Teecher!!

Rougarou

So my wife is a 4th grade teacher and as such her kids will mistakenly call her “mom” when trying to get her attention, she’s accustomed to this. Recently one of kids vying for her attention said “hey Alexa”. Did you just call me Alexa? She responded, kid said oops.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Richard, I hope your Teacher doesn't read the title to this thread! :classic_ohmy:

It was on purpose!!

Ha funny, your two posts are bringing back a flood of "oldies". Back, way back, like in the 4th grade, one of my teachers in school was famously notorious for giving out times tables (what we called it) writing assignments as punishment.

Now, I don't remember the exact details of the event but I was assigned the task of bringing something to someone else in the building. I was stopped by another teacher and asked what I was doing out of class. In my explanation, I drew a blank on my teacher's name and believe it or not, in the struggle to come up with her name I said "Mrs. Times Tables" . :/ The questioning teacher knew exactly who I was talking about and I want to say, she smirked. :yes: I'm good, I'm good! :clap:

Ooh, the shit hit the fan later that day!! :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Since all the schools are shut down, they're having to do online schooling, which she is not fond of at the moment.  Not only is she having to deal with a magnitude of electronic mail and notices that I'd never want to deal with, but she has to teach parents some of the technologies that teach their kids.  Along with that, she gets emails from parents/kids that she doesn't even teach asking for their assignments,...........I tell her to assign them a review of the "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu , "On War" by Clauswitz and "On Killing" by David Grossman,.........that would keep them extremely busy

• Haha 1
szurszewski

I have never taught a full online class to kids, but did spend a few years teaching some online course work to adults, and I’ll pass on one tip for your wife: she would benefit from setting specific hours for herself to deal with all the electronic stuff. (And you are so right -

there is SOOOOO much between the direct emails/messages asking and answering questions, the notifications from the online programs, the assignments, and so much more). 

If she is like me and checks in on her on online world here and there throughout the day and doesn’t like to see the new messages piling up and just “has” to open them as they come in, she might try adding a mailbox or folder just for that. New messages can be moved there en masse to be dealt with during her established teaching hours. 

Just some thoughts that worked for me back in the day. 

My kid’s (5th grade, but he also goes to the middle school for first period) district originally said they’d be doing online a stuff during their “at least six week” break, but then said - never mind,

we can’t make it equitable, so you don’t have to do anything. Now the state has said that’s not cool and all the districts have to have some kind of instruction in place by end of April - be it back in classrooms or online if we’re still avoiding each other. We’ve been keeping up with what he would have been doing and will continue, but I’m not expecting great things from a suddenly thrown together online school - I have been on the development side of creating online stuff from a curricula and it’s a LOT of work to make something worthwhile. ...and I also

feel for the teachers who are or will be on your wife’s position. Online is not the best fit for elementary - even if it is a generation who “gets” technology and lives with it all day and loves it. 

Thanks, I'll pass the info.

Because she is strict and holds the kids accountable, she gets the "lower level" kids.  A couple are zero-english speakers, a couple more are barely english speakers and the rest, many of which are not reading on a 2nd grade level much less the required 4th grade level are just "low".  She made a comment that during the skool year, many weren't getting "A's", yet, this online thing, she thinks that many will get "A's" due to lack of supervision while doing assignments or  parents out and out doing the work for the kids.

It be a crazy learning experience for her and I'm likely gonna invest in alot of wine  for her coping,.......at least more so than the normal skool year (its not for me, it's for her me no drinky no more)

15 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

I went to Catholic school, never called a Nun Mom.

Lest ye be smacked silly!!!