IGNORED

Sea of Love

Rougarou

Songwriter and singer Phil Phillips died  on his birthday, 14 March.

In the town that I grew up (Jennings, La), Phil Phillips was a DJ, that played funk and soul on an otherwise Cajun radio station.  I went to school with one of his sons.  Likely, the mass media will overlook his death as he essentially was a one-hit-wonder. 

Growing up I heard the stories of how the music industry screwed him over, but being the small town in the south, many just sluffed it off as a black guy trying to get over.  But history shows that the music industry was not exactly kind to singers and songwriters in the earlier days, thus, Phil Phillips received zero royalties for his song that has been used in many movies, and recorded by several other artists.

• Like 1

Great oldie! :thumbsup: Too bad he got screwed over by the industry. :( As a young pre-teen, the oldie station was on every Saturday night at the house and I distinctly remember that song. Of course what helped cement that memory, the cute girl that sat one seat behind in 5th grade class. ;) It never did work out! :rofl:

• Like 1

QUIT IT       You guys are making me feel old....wait....I AM old!     Ahhhh the days of fogging up the car windows at the drive-in movie!

• 2 weeks later...

Freddy Boom Boom Cannon  is still rocking it as of this print! :thumbsup:

I remember talking music with a buddy of mine years ago, he chuckled when I told him Palisades Park was one of my all time favorites. 

He and I rode out to the Springfield Fair one year and just by chance, boom boom was headlining...:yes: 

He sang Palisades Park at least three times! :grin: It was cool.

3 hours ago, Bud said:

Strange that so many musicians have recently passed.:cry:

We live in the golden age of music, never before in history have so many musicians and so much music been available to the people. Since there are so many great artists, and we are so lucky to have enjoyed it our whole lives, it's inevitable that we will see so many pass.

Our grandparents knew of maybe 20 or 30 popular artists, we know thousands. It's just plain numbers.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, BamaJohn said:

...Ahhhh the days of fogging up the car windows at the drive-in movie!

I saw somewhere that drive in movies are making a come back.  One good side effect of social distancing....

Nothing like the back of a 1970 F-100 for the drive in...  In those days, in the bed of a pickup, you sat on bales of hay, and spent the evening kicking around fence posts, shovels and more than likely, a pile of dirt.  If you wanted to go in style, you brought a couple of lawn chairs and granny's quilt.

7 hours ago, elkroeger said:

I saw somewhere that drive in movies are making a come back.  One good side effect of social distancing....

Nothing like the back of a 1970 F-100 for the drive in...  In those days, in the bed of a pickup, you sat on bales of hay, and spent the evening kicking around fence posts, shovels and more than likely, a pile of dirt.  If you wanted to go in style, you brought a couple of lawn chairs and granny's quilt.

My two older brothers worked at the local drive in and they'd bring me along sometimes.  After the final movie was over, they'd have to pick up the trash, popcorn boxes, soda cups, candy wrappers,.......we'll me, being around five or six, I'd help (cause that's what we were taught to do).  Following one of my big brothers, picking up some of the stuff and then I came upon a balloon, so I pick it up.  I bring it over to my brother what was carrying the trash bag to put it in and he hollers at me to throw that down,...............it wasn't til years later that I realized what those odd shaped balloons were and glad I didn't try to blow it up.

• Haha 3