IGNORED

Hepco-Becker Tank Guard for the Triumph Tiger 800 XC/XCX/XCA Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Hepco-Becker Tank Guard for Tiger800 intro

Part of the fun of a new bike is tricking it out with accessories, farkles, and modifications to suit your needs. Hepco-Becker manufactures luggage, lighting, and protection items for a wide variety of motorcycles to help make your bike just right for you. One of the first additions to my new Triumph Tiger 800 XCA is the Hepco-Becker tank guard. This guard is German designed and manufactured to help protect the shiny red tank and fairings from falls whether Satan jumps out from underneath a rock off road or the parking lot wins again.

When I first unpacked the tank guard I was immediately impressed with the quality of the finish. The black coating is a smooth and slightly metallic satin which doesn’t attempt to match the textured matte finish of the factory lower engine guards but doesn’t clash, either. All welds are extremely clean, and there weren’t any bubbles or weld splatter. The included hardware consists of high-quality graded bolts with no visible defects.

Installation was unfortunately not so smooth but also not technically difficult. A combination of my unfamiliarity with the bike and the brevity of the instructions resulted in installation taking longer than expected. The trickiest part was ensuring that both the bracket under the beak and the front wiring harness that runs to the headlights and dash would be clear of the fork legs at full lock. Hepco-Becker include one black zip tie to secure the harness, this was sacrificed to trial and error, and I ended up using two zip ties of my own to affix everything clear from harm’s way.

HepcoBecker Tiger800 Guard installation

With the bars fully installed my Tiger looks prepared for anything and their rigid build inspires confidence that they will help reduce or prevent damage in the event of an unintentional gravity test. Hepco-Becker certainly know what they’re doing with their accessory designs, the only thing the tank guard has left me wanting for was a little more thorough instructions.

MSRP: $239.11

MotoMachines.com

PROS:

• High quality finish and welds
• Strong materials and hardware
• Good value compared to tank or fairing damage

CONS:

• Brief instructions could lead to tricky fitment

HepcoBecker Tiger800 Guard front

vqHDWxmLtDM

View the full article