IGNORED

Any schedule for changing fork oil

Paul De

Reading Jerry’s fork seal dilemma got me thinking about a maintenance step that is done on bikes with standard fork suspension but does not seem necessary for the telelever fork suspension system. Is there any reason to change the oil in the fork tubes as a maintenance item as the bike gets up in the middle or high 5 digits on the odometer?

I'm thinking that as long as the fork seals are good there is no reason to mess with this since there is no damping done in the telelver fork tubes and the oils only function is to keep corrosion off the stanchion tubes. If the oil didn’t leak out then it still is good for the job it was intended to do for the life of the bike.

I just did a search on this and found nothing, which I suspect is the same reason I skipped it while doing the major service + extra doo-dad installation I just completed on my RT. There is no maintainance schedule for this.

I'm thinking that as long as the fork seals are good there is no reason to mess with this since there is no damping done in the telelver fork tubes and the oils only function is to keep corrosion off the stanchion tubes. If the oil didn’t leak out then it still is good for the job it was intended to do for the life of the bike.
Or at least for the life of the fork seals. wink.gif

Anyway, I agree with your view.

Archived