IGNORED

Andyman

Hello, just joined after finding the forum on-line, I have an R1150RT 2002, which i bought about 4 months ago. Since then it has sat in the garage connected to an Optimate charger, everything worked perfectly when i laid it up. During the winter i fitted an additional LED tail light, yesterday I started the bike and the ABS warning light is flashing 4 times a second and moving forward doesn't change anything, just wondering if the loom is extra sensitive to additional lighting.

Welcome Andyman! :wave: Now moving forward as in pushing it or riding it? IIRC, sometimes it took a few hundred yards for the ABS light to stop flashing.

To answer your question: yes, the iABS controller will blink the lights to indicate you have a burnt out bulb. But the 4Hz flash code indicates something different. Here's a page with the blink codes (look down the page for "iABS fault codes".

Also, be sure that you have your right hand and your right foot OFF the brake when you turn the ignition switch to ON. Wait a few seconds for the iABS to perform its startup test, then the the indicator lights will settle into a steady pattern. If all is well, the general warning light (triangle) will be off and the ABS light flashing at 1 Hz. Now start moving forward, and the iABS will do its pull-away test (wheel sensors). If that's all good then the ABS light will stop flashing and neither light will be on.

Thanks for the welcome guys,  when i turned on the ignition the bike was on the main stand, no brakes were applied, after 10 seconds i started the motor the Gen light was on but not flashing, the ABS light was flashing at 4 Hz a second this did not change when riding off down the road. i went 1/4 mile stopped and turned everything off, restarted again there was no change Gen light on and ABS rapid flashing. I did notice the servo making a noise when the front brake was applied, but the rear made no sound when the foot pedal was pressed, i don't know if that means anything. All bulbs work, including the LED light that i fitted. I have looked around the bike this morning and not sure where to go from here.

Does the brake light come on when you press the rear brake pedal? If not, there may be a problem with the switch on the pedal.

Check the rear master cylinder reservoir (behind the right side black triangle), make sure there's enough brake fluid.

If these check out okay, then you need to check the brake fluid level in the ABS module reservoir. That means taking off the fuel tank.

If you don't know when the last time the brake system was flushed you need to do that. This also means removing the fuel tank. If you are mechanically inclined and can work on your bike yourself, there are step by step instructions floating around on the web. It's not difficult but it is a bit time consuming.

Does your bike still have the original rubber brake hoses? If so, you really need to replace them, and soon. Even if they appear to be fine on the outside, they deteriorate on the inside and put little bits of rubber and crud into your brake fluid, which plugs up the tiny openings in the calipers and the ABS module. Spiegler and Galfer both make braided stainless steel brake line sets that are excellent. (I installed the Galfer on my R1150RT.)

Yes the brake light comes on when the rear brake pedal is pressed, I shall check through the service history to see if the system has been maintained or worked on recently, i know the wheels were removed for new tires just before i bought it. 

It does have rubber hoses, i shall check the fluid levels later. 

Just checked the rear brake fluid level and all is good, could this problem be caused by a failed sensor?

Edited by Andyman
Update

Welcome Andyman!   If you post in the oilheads forum with as much info as you can about your ABS  issue you will get feedback quicker.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, Andyman said:

Hello, just joined after finding the forum on-line, I have an R1150RT 2002, which i bought about 4 months ago. Since then it has sat in the garage connected to an Optimate charger, everything worked perfectly when i laid it up. During the winter i fitted an additional LED tail light, yesterday I started the bike and the ABS warning light is flashing 4 times a second and moving forward doesn't change anything, just wondering if the loom is extra sensitive to additional lighting.

Afternoon  Andyman

Adding rear lighting (brake or tail) usually doesn't cause the ABS light to come on or stay on. Now removing  rear lighting load (like using a higher resistance bulb, or removing a bulb, or having a burnt out bulb,) can cause the GENERAL warning light to ramin on but NOT flash the ABS light. 

As a rule when you have the 'general' warning light lit & the 'ABS light' flashing at 4 hz that points to either the ABS module not doing it's ride-away test, or failing the ride-away test, or a stuck servo motor.

So, first thing, look the bike over for the possibility of a mouse chewing on one of the wheel sensor pigtail wires, also look for other signs of mouse damage to the wiring  (even under the seat). Also look for the front wheel sensor wire to have been rubbing on the front brake rotor.

If no wire damage found then verify that the front brake lever & rear brake pedal are fully returning to the out stops (a slightly sticking brake lever or brake pedal can cause a failed ride-away test).

Next, turn the ignition key to on (do not start the engine), then allow a few seconds for the fuel pump to momentarily run & shut off  (all should be quiet).  Then apply the front brake lever & listen for the ABS module pump to start & run (should get louder the harder that you squeeze the brake lever)--  Does IT??????

Then do the same with the rear brake pedal-- apply the rear brake pedal & listen for the ABS module pump to start & run (should get louder the harder that you press the brake pedal)--  Does IT?????? 

Then ride the motorcycle a short ways & see if you can tell if you have both front lever and rear brake pedal power braking assist. (should have both). 

If you can tell us any more info based on the above info then we can hopefully help you pin down your problem a little better.  

Hi Dirtrider

I thank you for the reply, i have moved the topic to Oilheads, but to answer the questions you ask, I can hear the front ABS module run with front brake on, but don't hear it ABS module when rear brake applied