IGNORED

Shocks Concern

lopaca

07 RT  -  Approximately 33,000 miles

The shocks seem to have become a bit hard and jolty.  I was wondering what the longevity of the shocks are.

Additionally, some research suggested having the dealer "re-run the ESA re-calibration sequence".

Has anyone had the ESA re-calibrated and if so did it solve the issue.  I guess the only other option is new shocks.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, lopaca said:

07 RT  -  Approximately 33,000 miles

The shocks seem to have become a bit hard and jolty.  I was wondering what the longevity of the shocks are.

Additionally, some research suggested having the dealer "re-run the ESA re-calibration sequence".

Has anyone had the ESA re-calibrated and if so did it solve the issue.  I guess the only other option is new shocks.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon lopaca

As a rule motorcycle shocks don't get " hard and jolty" as the wear & age, they usually get soft & mushy.

Where do you run the rear shock as far as spring preload goes?  If you usually run it on the lowest setting  then you can just look at the upper spring seat to see if it is actually all the way up. If it is then re-calibration won't change anything. 

Has your motorcycle been stored on the center stand for winter storage? If so then possibly the front forks are over-pressurized from storing with the forks extended. If they take in air through the seals  at full extension they do become a bit harsh ride wise.  

Thank you dirt rider.  The last time I road it just seemed like I was feeling every crack and bump on the road.  I will take a look at the settings and see.  Yes the bike gets stored for long periods of time on the center stand.

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate it.

20 minutes ago, lopaca said:

Thank you dirt rider.  The last time I road it just seemed like I was feeling every crack and bump on the road.  I will take a look at the settings and see.  Yes the bike gets stored for long periods of time on the center stand.

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate it.

Afternoon lopaca

That can also be due to high front tire pressure so you might re-check your front tire pressure. 

Also, if you are on the 2 helmets preload setting and the sport ride mode the bike will be higher and suspension will be stiffer.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, Dann said:

Also, if you are on the 2 helmets preload setting and the sport ride mode the bike will be higher and suspension will be stiffer.

and to add even on the hard dampening setting on any of helmet/helmet baggage can feel a little jolty... I just replaced the ESA;s on the 05 with Ohlins and night and day difference over the uneven and broken road surfaces.  I know others say there are others better than Ohlins out there now but it is what I had purchased used 3 years ago.  Had the rear rebuilt just in case so should be good for 15k.  YMMV ;)

Corazon de Pollo

It really depends on the roads you are riding and how much weight you carry around.

The shocks on my Hexhead were gone by 40,000km, but roads here look like something out of a Mad Max flick. 33,000 miles sound about right if you ride with a pillion and/or luggage on average or slighly below roads.

aggieengineer

The shocks on my 2008 were shot at 40,000 miles. I replaced them with a set from Ted Porter's BeemerShop. They were Tractive with the ESA transferred from my old units. It's like riding a new motorcycle.