Warren Dean

My new-to-me '97 R1100RT

Warren Dean

This is my second '97 R1100RT. I regretted selling the first one as soon as I watched the new owner ride off on it. So now I have another...same color and all. I have attached some pictures of it.

I never cease to be amazed at how well Beemer riders care for their rides. This one came with ALL the service records from new and when I picked it up, the owner had just had new Pilots installed front and rear, stainless brake lines installed and new brake pads fore and aft and the 30,000 mile regular service at a BMW dealer that will remain anonymous. The price  for the bike was was excellent for me since the BMW dealer had only offered him $300 trade-in on a GS. What a slap in the face!

The bike, as can be seen in the pictures is in immaculate condition. The only thing I need to do is the Rubber Chicken left side chain tensioner and it is on the way as I write this. I did it on my previous '97 and although a bit pricey for what it is, it beats the heck out of lunching an engine without it.

All that's left now is a Kinsan SM-5 because I am a huge fan of good visibility in the rear. I was bunted off a Harley years ago at a stoplight by a guy that said, if you can imagine it, "I never saw you"...   :)  LOL. I will run the amber rear running lights and eat a ticket if I have to.

I am glad to be back in the BMW fraternity and look forward to many pleasurable miles on my RT.

Cheers!

Warren

0315201306b_HDR.jpg

0315201306_HDR.jpg

Jim Moore

Nice! I put 100K miles on a 97 of that same color.

MarinPhil

Yup. Ive had many bikes of all brands and this one ive had for a looog time and dont plan on selling any time soon

BBC32B79-1F99-4DF2-BECB-C8282C20284C.jpeg

Warren Dean

I LOVE that color!! I wanted one that color but this Amarena Red one was too good a deal to pass up.  Nice looking ride.  :)

Mike1997 RT

I’m liking my red one more everyday! Someone had redone the seat but it is very comfortable and I’ll keep it!

A1EEC430-FA82-41CF-9305-1381EF4BE634.jpeg

Mike1997 RT

F6AAD912-4695-4B06-8B9B-E331D4CEED91.jpeg

Warren Dean

That is a unique seat! I like the idea of cloth...down here in the summer it gets hot enough that you can get "swamp ass" pretty quick on leather or vinyl seats.  :)

Cheers!

Warren

Warren Dean
23 hours ago, Mike1997 RT said:

I’m liking my red one more everyday! Someone had redone the seat but it is very comfortable and I’ll keep it!

A1EEC430-FA82-41CF-9305-1381EF4BE634.jpeg

What is that BMW badge on the front of the fairing? And where can I get one? It is the perfect size...

Mike1997 RT

It came with the bike.

Bprimm

I have a 97 that color too. Has over 150,000 miles with original clutch and still runs strong.

fatbob

I had a 97 exactly like that, traded it in ‘04 for a new 1150RT.    LOVE the 1100, particularly the brakes!   Good for you!

Tush
9 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

What is that BMW badge on the front of the fairing? And where can I get one? It is the perfect size...

Looks like it might be the same badge that is on the side of the luggage although it’s hard to make out in the photo.

Cheers

Tush

Mike1997 RT

The small one on the front is about 2.5mm

The larger ones on the side are about 6mm

I have no idea about where the small one came from.DD6C114E-F5D4-4528-A854-98169712630C.jpeg.8c46d5cbc0072b6d86fe60bcdc8ae86f.jpeg

5784E336-B1C9-42DB-B329-A750DC14DE5E.jpeg

Warren Dean
56 minutes ago, Mike1997 RT said:

The small one on the front is about 2.5mm

The larger ones on the side are about 6mm

I have no idea about where the small one came from.DD6C114E-F5D4-4528-A854-98169712630C.jpeg.8c46d5cbc0072b6d86fe60bcdc8ae86f.jpeg

5784E336-B1C9-42DB-B329-A750DC14DE5E.jpeg

Thanks. I shall see if I can find one. I really like the look.

James in OK

You mean cm, not mm, right?  On my 2000 R1100RS, the side emblems are about 6.5 cm.

szurszewski
12 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

Thanks. I shall see if I can find one. I really like the look.

My closest-to-local dealer usually has those, along with a bunch of others, in the case. I'm sure you can find one online, but if you can't for some reason let me know and I can grab one for you next time I'm there (though, who knows when that will be!).

Warren Dean

Thank you very much for the offer. I will keep it in mind.

Cheers!

Warren

Miguel!

I found after-market badges on both eBay and Amazon. They are significantly less expensive than OEM. Example: I needed to replace my top case badge because the plastic and paint had cracked. The OEM badge was about $50. I got four after-market badges for about $10 on Amazon. I simply measured the diameter of the badge and plugged that into the search field. The after-market badges were thinner but had the same concave shape as my OEM top case badge so I glued it to the original and then glued it all back on to the top case. Looks great. And I have three spares. I was surprised how many badge sizes there are. The badges I got were for 3-series BMW car wheels but it matched the broken top case badge perfectly. 

IMG_0669.jpeg

MarinPhil

Warren, if you dont swat the f#$&*ing fly im gonna block you.  :wave:

• Like 1

Bodag

Here is my 96, it has just under 70K on it.

My friends say I need a newer bike, I tell them when this one wears out I'll replace it.

WIN_20170701_152245.JPG

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, MarinPhil said:

Warren, if you dont swat the f#$&*ing fly im gonna block you.  :wave:

LMAO!!!!!   :4322:

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Bodag said:

Here is my 96, it has just under 70K on it.

My friends say I need a newer bike, I tell them when this one wears out I'll replace it.

WIN_20170701_152245.JPG

What a gorgeous color!!!   very nice!!!  I feel the same way about mine. Like cars, the new stuff takes the repairs and some maintenance out of the owners hands and requires dealership visits. Not gonna do it...  :P

MarinPhil

Ive had many that  I've bought new. But, my old girl is so uncomplicated, no Can-bus, just a basic ECU, really doesn't need to go to dealer for most easy service.  At my age i kind of like keeping her road worthy. Last September we went up to Vancouver BC and back (2500 miles) , she didnt let me down. 

Selden

My Boston Green 1999 RT has about 131,000 miles on the odometer. I have been trying to find a new owner for 2 years, but I still haven't found a buyer.

In addition to shrinking with age, I have a touch of arthritis at the base of my right thumb, and I find my F700GS a lot easier to ride because it requires lighter inputs for everything. But, the RT will always have a place in my heart. I still take it out in colder weather, where the air management and hot air ducts from the oil cooler provide welcome protection from cold air. 

I put a new rear tire on the GS last weekend. Getting the wheel off was a snap; getting it back on took several hours — nothing like a single-sided swingarm.

Warren Dean

Too bad someone doesn't recognize how rare Boston Green RTs are. I would love to have that color. The Amarena Red is just different enough that it is somewhat unique out here. Hope you find a good home for it.

Miguel!

I also like the simplicity and easy and robust operation of the R1100RT and ease of maintenance. I can afford to buy anything I want but the R1100RT will carry me thru the rest of my riding life. 105K miles. I love the streamliner look and aerodynamic lines. 

Best Miguel

IMG_0708.thumb.jpeg.1bac7711e44cc392062483aee518b404.jpeg

Warren Dean
1 minute ago, Miguel! said:

I also like the simplicity and easy and robust operation of the R1100RT and ease of maintenance. I can afford to buy anything I want but the R1100RT will carry me thru the rest of my riding life. 105K miles. I love the streamliner look and aerodynamic lines. 

Best Miguel

IMG_0708.thumb.jpeg.1bac7711e44cc392062483aee518b404.jpeg

Yep, you and I are on the same page. I like "old school" that I can work on. I just bought alike new set of shocks for when my stock ones blow out at some point. $100 is cheap insurance, but now that I have them, I won't ever need them.  :)  Pretty scooter, Miguel.