IGNORED

Is this what motorsports will become ?

chrisolson

Joe Frickin' Friday
10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

E sports and sim racing is fine if you're doing it, but I don't see the appeal of watching someone else do it.

We may not see the appeal, but apparently many others do; there are players who earn a living playing E-sports, and that money is coming from somewhere.

As for the future of motorsports, I asked that question exactly two years ago:

The future of Motorsports

My query back then was less about simulated racing, but instead wondered about taking drivers/riders off of the track and instead racing either remotely operated vehicles, or autonomous vehicles.  Interesting discussion.

You're right, I may not see the appeal, but I also don't understand those that do. Call me a crusty old crumrudgeon.

"You know, back in my day, we actually had to throw the ball, with our own hands and arms! We used to drive our own cars, too."

"Whaaat!?! How could that possibly be? How archaic"

I was talking with a kid about baseball, he said he loves playing it, and is always trying stretch a single into a double. I was impressed, and said so, told him to keep up the good work. Then he mentioned that he was talking about video baseball. I looked at him with, I don't even know what kind of look, and walked away disgusted.

Kids. Sometimes they don't know shit.

It's not my jam, but I grew up a bit too early to experience the online multiplayer gaming world.  It seems to have lots of sponsorship money, and a lot of people who played it as young people to be both fans and participants.  That actually seem to be the key for the success of a modern sport played over multi-media; a group of people who did the activity as young people and now enjoy watching a group of talented people play at the highest level.   Those sports that fewer people play as young people fade into the background and get less of the economic pie.  Motorcycle racing (in the meat world) may be like that in the future - the sponsorship funds will dry up as fewer young people ride, and then don't become racing fans.  That's part of why the NFL is desperate to keep kids playing - fewer young football players means fewer future football fans. 

I may be the old guy who goes and watches club racing in the future, and that's fine.  The kids of today will be the old people of the future, pining for the days when e-sports was young and new, and their kids have moved on the mentally controlled tiddly-winks, or whatever. 

Big difference: E sports is a game.

It is NOT a sport.

Playing chess, and watching a good chess game can be enjoyable. It is not a sport.

Making a video knight kill a video dragon by flipping buttons and hand controllers can be enjoyable to do and to watch. It is not a sport. Let's just get that point straight.

The best pitcher in virtual baseball has never had to dodge a come-backer that will take his head off. Sports almost always have some potential of injury, minor or serious. Gaming probably has the potential of injury too, some type of thumb cramp. Gosh, I hope he can recover...

Oh darn, we can't play soccer, the computer won't boot up.

Damn, I sound like an old crumrudgeon! Get off my lawn!

Well it was bound to happen .. knowing that many riders are already familiar with video simulations ....

Per MotoGP ... (emphasis mine) 

Soon, some of the sport’s biggest names – from Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) to the likes of Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT), Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) and reigning Champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) – will be back in action, but this time online playing the official MotoGP™ videogame

LINKY