IGNORED

BMW s1000xr

MFA

I just picked up a 2016 Bmw s1000xr that has a factory gps ready set up. My question is can you use a Garmin XT Gps with the factory controls.

Haven't bought one yet. Just trying to find out more information. BMW wants to sell me one but they are real proud of them.

I do know you could not with the Garmin 595.  Basically the BMW Nav5 was a Garmin unit with additional functionality to work with the bike controls.  It was the "modification" in the software that "justified" the increased cost.  :-)

22 hours ago, randy said:

I do know you could not with the Garmin 595.  Basically the BMW Nav5 was a Garmin unit with additional functionality to work with the bike controls.  It was the "modification" in the software that "justified" the increased cost.  :-)

and the BMW unit is war we prof

22 hours ago, randy said:

I believe the XT is "waterproof" to a certain extent.  I left it out on the bike in a real down pour during a long lunch break.  Came out and unit did not work.  Pulled the battery dried the battery compartment, dried the battery and put it all in my top case for about an hour.  At the next fuel stop I put it back together and it started up fine.   so now when it rains hard, I put a plastic baggie over my GPS with  a rubber band to hold the baggie on.  No issue so far, but to be honest I rarely ride in rain like I use to, so not 100% sure it is the baggie  :-)

Dennis Andress

On my XR I'm using a Garmin Zumo 665 LM in the BMW mount. The only thing that works is charging; the magic thumb wheel on the left grip does not control the GPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the information on the GPS. I really like having a gps on the motorbike. Just $950.00 seams steep but using the wheel would be great.