IGNORED

It's getting real

Sonor

5 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

no elective/non emergency procedures here, Mike.  There goes my breast augmentation!

:14: 

But I don't want to make lite of the poor person who has waited many painful months for a hip or knee replacement. 

Unfortunately we have had patients show up in the last week with a fever + cough and not think anything of the others they have put at risk.   

I think the "new normal" might be that you have to self-isolate for 14 days prior to your booked elective surgery.  

Mike C

John Ranalletta
39 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

no elective/non emergency procedures here, Mike.  There goes my breast augmentation!

As you age, you contract "chest 'n drawers" disease.  That's when your chest drops into your drawers.  Need surgery to keep up the man boobs!:4323:

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, MikeRC said:

:14: 

But I don't want to make lite of the poor person who has waited many painful months for a hip or knee replacement. 

Unfortunately we have had patients show up in the last week with a fever + cough and not think anything of the others they have put at risk.   

I think the "new normal" might be that you have to self-isolate for 14 days prior to your booked elective surgery.  

Mike C

Mike, a good friend has put off knee joint replacement for years and has virtually zero soft tissue around the joint.  He's tentatively scheduled for late-April surgery.  My fear is that's optimistic.

John Ranalletta

Last evening, after a long walk, as I was trying to get my mind around the how to react to the financial and viral shit storms going on around us, and my mind filled with memories of and stories about my folks. 

They came from Italy as children in steerage class.  They lived in ghettos, my dad, at 16, worked his way across the coal fields of Pennsylvania in the first decade of the last century.  My folks met, married and lived through the Spanish flu era, WWl, depressions, layoffs, etc.  I'm told my dad, a very proud man, refused to take food from the welfare wagon during the depression.  He walked with John L. Lewis, striking to form a what became the UMWA.  They lived in a 3-room house, raised food in the garden, kept rabbits and even made whiskey for friends and neighbors.  They reared the first 5 of 9 kids during the depression and sent two boys to into WWII. My older brothers and sisters slept in the same room with privacy provided by bed sheets hanging from a clothesline down the middle of the room.  

I took a deep breath, calmed myself with the thought, "I don't have the right to be fearful.  Nothing I have or am likely to experience will be any darker, scarier and life-impacting than what mom and pop experienced." They lived in a place and time when neighbors supported and shared with each other.

The pastor at our church told us about a young mom with two kids who usually eat school lunch.  She’s having a tough time because she's hard pressed to buy food for her family.  In the face of hoarding and self-preservation, I’m moved to think now is the right time to be optimistic and giving.  There's lots of pain around.  We can't ease it all, but we can all ease a little of it until we come out on the other side.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
szurszewski

There are so many kids in the US who get their most nutritious meals of the day at school. I was impressed to see that our local district is still going to offer meals for students - grab and go style - in the mornings and afternoons,

and even the option to get a few days worth at a time to make it more convenient for families.

If your local district isn’t able to offer this, and you can afford it, this would be a good time to look into what food resources ARE available to those near you in need and consider wiring a check. 

Well, maybe not a check - but an online no-contact-necessary donation. ;)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I told you, you should have gotten them both done at the same time.:4323:

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
12 minutes ago, Hank in WV said:

I told you, you should have gotten them both done at the same time.:4323:

Years ago, a local plastic surgeon offered a 2-for-1 sale.  You can do that when patients pay cash.

John Ranalletta

My grand kids are doing distance or e-learning.  Their school requires they wear school uniforms for the school sessions.  IMO it's a good idea because it focuses them and perhaps reassures, giving some semblance of stability.  Kids may not talk to mom/dad about their fears.

Guy on the local news here did a story on toilet paper.  He says "OK people, STOP hoarding toilet paper.  You're not going on some Super Pooper Adventure here...."

Awesome.

Joe Frickin' Friday
18 minutes ago, elkroeger said:

Guy on the local news here did a story on toilet paper.  He says "OK people, STOP hoarding toilet paper.  You're not going on some Super Pooper Adventure here...."

Awesome.

TP.jpg.b9f20abbaa658435326733207267d93a.jpg

• Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Hello from the future:

Article here about the video.

Together with other members of his filmmaking collective, Parenti put out a call for citizens across the country to film themselves in quarantine. “We asked them to talk in first person to the camera,” he said, “and give themselves advice based on their own past behavior.”

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
11 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Hello from the future:

Sadly, that future is already the past.  As of today, Italy has 35,713 total cases, 4,207 new cases today, 2,978 deaths, 475 deaths today.  Their death count is rapidly approaching China's (3,245, but only 34 new ones today), with less than half the number of cases.

Our testing is getting more widespread, so the US added 2,960 cases today.  We're doing better on deaths, but our number of cases is tracking pretty well with the Italy of 11 days ago.  Exponential growth is a bitch.  Note the different scales below, which is why Italy's curve doesn't look as steep.

591200553_TotalCVItaly2020-03-18.jpeg.5c364c458e2fa9082e3b4a5f405815b2.jpeg

1163080956_TotalCVUSA2020-03-18.jpeg.ffba5345f09a60e42b979f7e2c30a501.jpeg

Death Valley has closed camping as of tomorrow at noon.....

California state parks has announced similar restrictions.

20200317_202914.jpg

On 3/16/2020 at 1:19 PM, szurszewski said:

kids in the US who get their most nutritious meals of the day at school

Not only is Anchorage continuing to supply food to kids in need, they’re distributing at several central locations from school buses. 

And I’m impressed by one of the oldest restaurants in town. The ‘Lucky Wishbone’ had to lay off most of its workers, but says they will continue to feed those families as long as necessary. 

• Like 2
On 3/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, Bill_Walker said:

Not for chloroquine, which is an anti-malarial.  Zinc taken at the onset of symptoms can help keep you from spreading the infection.

It seems China  and SK are using chloroquine + zinc effectively. 
A YouTube vid explores chloroquine and zinc as a treatment.  It’s a short course in epidemiology. :grin:

The Governor of PA just closed all "non life sustaining businesses" as of 12:01 A.M. Saturday.   There is a list, apparently beer distributors are "life sustaining"

LINKY

I'm finally leaving California via Las Vegas tomorrow. Been a royal pain to get to the point where we can travel. Got to jump through a few more hoops upon return to post where there is screening and the potential of isolation or quarantine.  No symptoms and there are only a few cases in San Bernadino county and none on Fort Irwin. I'm staying in my RV for two weeks upon return just to be on the safe side.  Couldn't live with the thought on getting DyAnne sick. 

• Like 5

Yesterday I rode north on I-95 en route to Charleston and the number of Canadians headed home from Florida was staggering. Looks like the RV snowbirds are intending to get home while they can still cross the border and even  more restrictions are put in place. Trucking traffic was pretty heavy as well and I extended every possible courtesy to them all, wouldn’t want to be any of them right now. 

• Like 1

I was just up at Max BMW for tires and the sales manager said that on Tuesday, they are going to be selling bikes by appointment only until this passes. I guess the social distance thing has found it's way into the M/C world. 

John Ranalletta
59 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I was just up at Max BMW for tires and the sales manager said that on Tuesday, they are going to be selling bikes by appointment only until this passes. I guess the social distance thing has found it's way into the M/C world. 

Our apartment complex closed the community center/gym/sales offices.  Apartments are being shown virtually with no person-to-person contact except, I suppose to sign leases and exchange $/keys.

We just decided to extend our lease another 6-months.  Real estate is richly priced.  COVID-induced unemployment and portfolio shrinkage will cause a flood of r/e to hit the market (not hoping, just can't see otherwise).  Ran some errand this morning.  Hotel parking lots are empty.  Car dealer customer parking lots empty.  From John Mauldin's weekly letter:

A hotel exec friend who runs 125 hotels has let 90–95% of the staff go. Literally tens of thousands. There are 54,000 hotels in the country. Do the math. Another friend handles the backroom for 2,200 dentists. 80% have shut down as they can’t get the masks and other things they need. There are 100,000 dentists with an average employment of maybe 10 people. Minimum 500,000 employees, plus dentists, without income. Average income per employee is $50,000. Dentists are critical but they have to have the basic gear to do it.

There are literally hundreds of examples. Dear gods…

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

At the local dealership yesterday and I specifically asked if they were going to shut down,....the reply was no, no intention at present time.

• Like 1
On 3/13/2020 at 9:58 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Some perspective for Indiana residents:

image.thumb.png.c8645b71cb59fab652c16906a4a048a3.png

People tested does not equal cases present. Seven days later:

image.thumb.png.bfc65cb8bafa20dd09bd40e0d34bc0f1.png

As of 3/21/2020 @ 17:30, the JHU site is showing 128 confirmed and 3 deaths for Indiana.

John Ranalletta
10 minutes ago, Selden said:

image.thumb.png.bfc65cb8bafa20dd09bd40e0d34bc0f1.png

As of 3/21/2020 @ 17:30, the JHU site is showing 128 confirmed and 3 deaths for Indiana.

image.thumb.png.684b3d4c9e20c6b0e3e166a246abc337.png 

I was “furloughed” from my job yesterday. 😢. My 401k/retirement nest egg has lost about $150k in the last month 😢😖. Salt Lake City had a huge 5.7 magnitude earthquake — strong enough to knock the trumpet out of the Angel Moroni’s hand on the iconic Mormon Temple. 😳 Utah was one of the few states that voted for Bernie Sanders in the Dem Primary. And my favorite cat disappeared a couple days ago 😢😢. 
Yup, the signs are all around: the “last days” are upon us. Stay Strong, the Lord is in charge. 

My 32,000 pound isolation chamber.  I've started packing my lunch and avoiding rest stops.  Heck, my retirement job is deemed essential.  None of my earlier full times were.   At least it gets me out of the house legally, and traffic is light.

20200225_100649.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Yeeha Stephen

DFW is going bonkers. Dallas County Judge just ordered the police is issue citations to anyone seen outside standing/walking/running/talking, etc... within 6 feet of another person. New law says you can only purchase 12 rolls of TP. Limit groups INSIDE buildings to 10 people. More if your building is constantly changing the count such as a grocery store. 

"

DALLAS. Dallas County is further tightening restrictions on public and private gatherings, this time with rules that target backyard barbecues, birthday parties, and neighborhood basketball games.

Judge Clay Jenkins Wednesday announced additional changes to the county’s disaster declaration, limiting recreational gatherings, defined as those that are social in nature, to groups of fewer than 10 people.

Jenkins says anyone who violates the order could face a fine or jail time.

Already, he says there have been a few instances where officers were sent to remind people.

"It's a surreal time that we live in when I'm having a press conference when I'm spending a lot of time on toilet paper, OK? I mean shoppers are the problem with the toilet paper."

A new limit on toilet paper sales will go into effect starting midnight, when all sales of bath or toilet paper in Dallas County are limited to 12 rolls per purchase or one package per purchase, whichever is greater. 

9 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

What would you do?

1F66600A-DBFB-4EF5-BC53-6DF900CE8E18.jpeg

From this distance, I can still see that it likely has wood chips in the paper.  We call that type "smear-away" and avoid at all costs.  Leave it for someone that really, really, really needs it.

• Haha 1

Quarterly school inspections continue.

Now something that once went under the radar is now a big deal.

Giant rolls of crap paper. Score! I didn’t take it! :spittake:

D6B7E75B-118F-4D55-BAB7-C3295FC23268.jpeg

John Ranalletta
33 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

D6B7E75B-118F-4D55-BAB7-C3295FC23268.jpeg

Went grocery shopping this morning. Not many people out so no big crowds.  Meat was scarce but we managed to get enough for 2 weeks and amazingly there was a good supply of canned tuna.  Paper goods and pasta were non existent good thing I have plenty of TP.  Fresh produce was well stocked, if you like seafood there was plenty of fish available.  Employees were busy stocking what they had.  Time to hunker down at home for a while.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Well, what catches my eye is the picture at 5:04:14:  I can dig it.

Now that's years of military service put to good use right there! :thumbsup: "scan your surroundings" :dontknow:  See, I was just looking for a stain on the dog's back. :D

lawnchairboy
On 3/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, MikeRC said:

This may have slipped under the radar, but is an incredibly important policy decision by the American College of Surgeons last Friday:  

The College recommends hospitals, health systems, and surgeons enact plans to minimize, postpone, or cancel elective operations at the current time until we are “confident that our health care infrastructure can support a potentially rapid and overwhelming uptick in critical patient care needs.”   

A very proactive statement and policy, the type Government actually needs to take.   At this time, they are not suggesting any change to procedures in outpatient clinics or for cancer surgeries.  

Hopefully in a couple of weeks the system will have a better idea of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on health care resources and it can be back to elective surgeries.  

Mike C

Our VA is no longer doing elective surgery.  I believe that is nationwide also at this point.

Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

barn_find.jpg.cf0d7a3d334918ca719a61dab58c1b13.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This is an excellent read, sent to me by another physician.  It has had 5 million views, but it is pretty long so I don't know how many people have read through the whole thing.  The preceding essay by the same writer has had 40 million views.  

And please don't think the "Hammer" part is political at all.  

Try and read the whole thing if you can:  

Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance 

Mike C

• Like 4

Hey YeeHa Stephen,  this  "New law says you can only purchase 12 rolls of TP."  could be a problem for Costco shoppers.  I think their smallest package is 24?  We gonna have to find a halfzies partner now to get TP.

Edited by Red
spelling
Joe Frickin' Friday

1 hour ago, MikeRC said:

This is an excellent read, sent to me by another physician.  It has had 5 million views, but it is pretty long so I don't know how many people have read through the whole thing.  The preceding essay by the same writer has had 40 million views.  

And please don't think the "Hammer" part is political at all.  

Try and read the whole thing if you can:  

Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance 

Mike C

Mike, thanks for posting.  His earlier article was worthy, and this one is equally so; both should be required reading for every policy maker.

Chart 13.b bothers me; given the relative lack of early countermeasures so far here in the US, I’m concerned that we’re headed for an Italy-sized body count before this is over.

This should be a mandatory read for our policy and governing officials
A true no brainer. 

I would personally have no problem with the Gov. shutting everything down with a timeline of mandatory   quarantine.

Unfortunately, IMO, many look on that as an attack on our civil liberties and cannot see the big picture.

John Ranalletta

Indiana guber governor just declared a "stay at home" status.  Of course, IN is the last state amongst surrounding states to do so.

RandyShields

Yesterday, NC Gov. Roy Cooper extended the school closings to mid-May, and closed a number of other businesses.  Today, Mecklenburg County (Charlotte, NC) issued a stay at home order for 3 weeks.  As a lawyer, I had to download and study the proclamation carefully.  A number of things jumped out at me.  Importantly, there are so many allowed activities, the restriction is laden with loopholes.  For example, no "non-essential" activities are allowed.  Not included in that definition (are you following all the no's and non's) are various outdoor activities like walking, hiking, cycling, running and golf.  So even though motorcycling is called out (along with cars) for restricted travel into and about the county, since "cycling" is a permitted activity, my interpretation is that riding a motorcycle on county roads is still allowed!  At least, that is what I would argue to the judge if arrested.

3 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Yesterday, NC Gov. Roy Cooper extended the school closings to mid-May, and closed a number of other businesses.  Today, Mecklenburg County (Charlotte, NC) issued a stay at home order for 3 weeks.  As a lawyer, I had to download and study the proclamation carefully.  A number of things jumped out at me.  Importantly, there are so many allowed activities, the restriction is laden with loopholes.  For example, no "non-essential" activities are allowed.  Not included in that definition (are you following all the no's and non's) are various outdoor activities like walking, hiking, cycling, running and golf.  So even though motorcycling is called out (along with cars) for restricted travel into and about the county, since "cycling" is a permitted activity, my interpretation is that riding a motorcycle on county roads is still allowed!  At least, that is what I would argue to the judge if arrested.

In my little town, a couple of the restaurants moved tables outside for seating.  When I drove by Sunday, there were about ten "older' folks eating, I say older 'cause they all had white hair. 

At one of my buildings, it was announced on the news last night  that someone at the company across the street tested positive.  I pass that building everyday on my way home and their parking lot was still full.

Back at my work today, they placed finger condoms by the elevators.  I thought about grabbing a few to give to my ten year old grandson and tell him to practice:14:

non-slip, latex, rubberglove, Cover

• Haha 1