MichiganBob

My Boney Butt

realshelby
14 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I perused the RDL website. Yes you have many choices. It doesn’t matter if you go vinyl or leather the stitching can allow water to compromise the outer skin and eventually ruin the seat innards. All of that to say this, buy the rain cover. If it is raining I ride with it on. If washing the bike (do we even do that?) it works great too. 

I have run Russell seats for well over 10 years now. Had one rain cover. They are slick to sit on, don't fit well, and you have to pack them along and put them on. I never cover the seat when washing the bike. In fact I wash the seat just like the rest of the bike. I have ridden in heavy rain for hours on end as well as occasional showers. I do cover the bike at night when at a motel, so it doesn't just sit in rain all night. 

None of the several Russell seats have ever taken on water. Nothing at all that I can detect. They have a plastic layer under the cover, at least I am pretty sure. The threads may leak some, but I keep conditioner on the seat so that may lessen that factor. So I just forget about the seat as far as rain goes. 

Leather or vinyl? Yes, there won't be a difference in how they breathe if you have full gear on. BUT....I have found over time that the leather is a bit more comfortable on long days. Two reasons, first is that the leather does conform to your body a bit better and second it doesn't OVER conform when sitting on it in hot weather all day. The vinyl gets soft and I think it loses a bit of support from that. So, I get vinyl sides and leather seating surface. 

Rinkydink

I was just taking the RDL website as a guide and erring on the side of caution. The rain cover takes up very little room in my sidecases. 

strataj

I too got rain covers for my Russell all leather saddle to use when parked overnight.  I also protect it with a water repellent.  I really like  https://www.montanapitchblend.com/ I've been using it for many years.

92Merc

I had a rain cover for my old Corbin seat from my Honda I kept.  It fits perfectly over my RDL.  I only put it on at a hotel if I think it's going to rain.  Otherwise, riding in the rain has had no adverse effects.

migrant
19 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Leather of Vinyl?  Hmmmmmmm. What do you think? Pros and cons?

Thanks.

MB

All 3 prior RDL seats have been vinyl half moon, so I stuck with it for this RT. Leather would feel better if I rode with jeans, but with Aerostich or Klim suits I don't think I'd feel the difference.

I did a ride-in and had them do just the rider's seat since the passenger seat is never used...and their vinyl is a close match to BMW's.

IMG_4503.thumb.jpg.fcb62a5ca7a556d6a453233b7c4109d0.jpgIMG_4500.thumb.jpg.f64aa220100991ef702e455a258baee1.jpg

Hank in WV

I've had a leather RDL on my bike for at least 5 years with absolutely no problems. I usually spray it with Armourall twice a year and pay a little extra attention to rubbing it into the stitching.It never soaks up water from rain or even washing on occasion. Money well spent.

Rob Nowell

I bought a new Wild Ass inflatable / gel seat pad and like it.  My Airhawk lasted about seven years.  If I were a rich man, I'd love to add one of those Corbin seats with the smuggle box; very cool look.

Dann

I've used a Kontour seat on my 07 for years and had no issues doing Iron Butt rides on it.

I will  order another one for my R1250RT next winter since it's way better than the stock seat. (Which is actually better than the one on my 07)

I really like the polar mesh which keeps the seat cooler.

It's built on the stock pan like the RDL.

YMMV

IMGP8017.JPG

MichiganBob

My RDL came yesterday. Beautifully crafted. Excited to try it out this weekend. They were great to work with.

MB

• Like 1

Rinkydink
22 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

My RDL came yesterday. Beautifully crafted. Excited to try it out this weekend. They were great to work with.

MB

Anxious to see what you think and see some pics. I just shipped my stock seat off of my 900XR for the RDL sport seat today. Ride safe.