IGNORED

AeroFlow or V Stream Windhsield for a GSA?

S.O.B.

Need an aftermarket Windshield for my second trip out West.  Like to know who makes a better Windshield - AeroFlow or National Cycle.  Price difference is insignificant, I would probably get the "standard" model as I do not like to look through a windshield (prefer to look over one).  Looking for better wind management as I will be on the highway for multiple days.  Opinions appreciated!

thanks, Dan

RandyShields

I have a V stream on my GS.  Tried a number of others, including the GSA screen, but nothing was quite tall enough.  It still allows me to look over the top of it.  Good quality shield.  There was  lot of vibration at speed, so I got the Wunderlich brace which fixed that issue.  I believe V stream offers their own brace now.  You can take a look at mine at START.  I have an Aeroflow on my K1600.  As I reported in another post, I like the shape, but it has developed a bit of fogginess over time.  Not yellowing, but a bluish tint that is not as clear as it was originally.

Randy

I have the Puig touring windscreen (and reinforcing bracket) on my 18 GS. After almost 4,000 miles, I give it a thumbs up - much better than stock, IMHO.

I too have the Ztechnik shield on my '18 GS with the Ztechnik stabilizer.   It works fine but would like it an inch taller.  I have always liked the quality of the Ztechnik shields and they are pretty indestructible.  Also heard good think about the Puig shields.   Those would be on my short list. 

I don't sell a screen for the GS. So I can dive right in here! The GS needs a support bracket of some kind for taller screens. That is the only reason I don't offer one. You could fab up your own, or buy the aftermarket versions. Consider it a must have for taller screens. 

I don't have a recommendation on brand, but just like with ANY screen it has to be tall enough to work properly. And you should not need to look through it. 

If I had a GS today, I would order the MRA X-creen touring spoiler blade:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-tour-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade

Either bolt on ( you have to drill holes ) or the clamp on mount. For an adventure bike especially, these work surprisingly well. Easy to adjust height, and they add height to a too short screen. You can fold them out of the way for off road or slower riding. I had one of these on the RT at first and really liked how well it worked. 

RandyShields
2 hours ago, realshelby said:

I don't sell a screen for the GS . . . .

Or the K1600.  I still want one of yours if you ever go there!

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback!  Randy and ERdoc did you purchase taller screens or just replaced them with the "standard" height?

RandyShields

Dan, you asked so here you go.  I found these notes in my accessories file.  Note -- these are for a GSW.  The V Stream is taller, which is what I was looking for.  I tried a GSA screen, but it wasn't tall enough:

Stock windscreen  Hgt 15" middle/17" sides  Width  16"

GSA screen  Hgt 17" middle/18" sides  Width 16"

V Stream (the one I have)  Hgt 19.5"  Width 16"

Wunderlich  Hgt 19.8"  Width 17.3"

Puig Hgt 20.9"  Width 17.7"

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, S.O.B. said:

thanks for the feedback!  Randy and ERdoc did you purchase taller screens or just replaced them with the "standard" height?

I have the Puig “touring” screen which is 11cm taller than stock. I’m 5’ 11”, comfortably looking over screen even when at highest setting. Another thing that lead me to the Puig is the one handed adjustment as with the OEM, whereas some others require two handed adjustment I believe... 

terryofperry

Thanks Dan. Wind management is so subjective based on bike and rider, what works for one may not for another. I tried several different screens at several hundred dollars each, all not much better than stock. Then I bought the MRA X-Creen as realshelby points out. It solved the problems for me mounted on the stock screen. I bought the clamp on to move from the GSA to the RS, works on both extremely well. 

Not saying it will work for you. Good luck.

Terry

Thanks Terry!  It's probably my last long highway trip for a while- trying to check the boxes in TX, AZ, NM, UT.  Hopefully my peer shaming group will join me in a couple years when I do a fly, rent, and ride through CA, NV, ID, WA, OR. Michelle and I will fly, rent, and ride when we go to Alaska in 2021.  10 States left on a goal of 50.  Was trying for 50 by 50 but it might end up being 50 by 52.  Still all good fun!  Looking forward to seeing everyone at FART!

When I moved from an RT to the GSA in 2015, I noticed the extra wind (I had a barn door-sized VStream on my RT).  I bought a VStream Z2487 Tall screen a few months after I got my GSA.  I rode with it once, for a few hours, before deciding to put the OEM GSA screen back on.  I ended up looking through the VStream, which was very annoying.  The VStream has sat in its box since 2016.

Easy to get spoiled by the RT's electric height adjustment! Makes up for screens to short or too tall in many cases. Too tall is always better, you can drill mounting holes above the current ones and still hide them in many cases. Or whack off the top some...which is a bit more involved. Getting the height just right on a fixed screen isn't usually simply ordering what you think is right. You have to ride with them. That is why I very much like the X-creen touring lip I mentioned earlier. 

Just to clarify.... a lot of folks prefer the stabilizer on the GS shields either stock or aftermarket and they really do help.  Most are about $79 ...BUT the shields are all the same.  The stabilizer works with all shields.

The GS shield is engineered to flex a bit at the mounting points. I have the Vstream medium touring screen on mine with no stabilizer and it is just fine.