IGNORED

Covid-19 Update: Italy on lockdown

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

As of today, March 12, all travel is forbidden in all of Italy. Exceptions are travel for work and life essentials such as doctor visits, grocery shopping.... And all travelers need a form stating the reason why they are not at home. 

For now until April 3rd, but who knows what happens next? 

• 3 weeks later...
Francois_Dumas

Update on Italy:

March 25th, cases of contamination are still rising, so is the death toll, with now almost 7000 people killed by Covid-19.

Lockdown has been further intensified and all of Italy is financially crumbling. 

The curfew announced till April 3 has been extended, and government is now talking on measures up till July 31st.

Anyone with travel plans to Italy better re-think, especially as countries around us are also increasingly locking down and closing borders. 

My GS is on trickle load and will be for the next few months 😭😭

Francois_Dumas

Update: Total lockdown of the country has been extended to April 14th for now....... expectations are that it will be extended even further after that date.

I would advise to not make any plans for visiting Italy for some time to come.

• 2 weeks later...
Francois_Dumas

Latest update from Italy.... Country total Lockdown will probably be extended to May 3rd, after which the situation will be evaluated again. Even best case will only see a gradual re-opening of businesses and it is totally unclear whether current travel restrictions will be lifted any time soon 😢😢😢😢😢

• Sad 1
Francois_Dumas

Wine and olive oil is no problem, neither are eggs and bread. We have great neighbours!!! 🥚🥚🥚🍞🍞🍞👍👍👍👍

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Francois_Dumas

Some small changes here in Italy: we are now allowed to do some shopping (food, tabacco, newspapers, hygiene, meds) in OTHER towns than our own too now. But not yet allowed to leave the State.... so Tuscany is still off limits and we cannot go to the sea in any way. 

But it beats living for 2 months in our tiny village. 

So I took the GS out for some errands today..... still armed with a face mask, plastic gloves and a paper declaring that I don't think I have the virus, and where I think I am going and why! 

For me, having lived for a while behind the Iron Curtain during the cold War, it feels very much like that. 

Meanwhile there are some 10 million holiday cancellations and it is still too early to think of coming down...... 

20200507_114224.jpg

• Like 2

I am so thankful that we went on a CIMT motorcycle tour of southern Italy in May 2018, and visited Florence and Tuscany in April 2019. We will probably never set foot in Italy again. Memories are priceless.

We will all get through this, except for those who won't.

• Sad 1
chrisolson

Fr

3 hours ago, Francois_Dumas said:

still armed with a face mask, plastic gloves and a paper declaring that I don't think I have the virus, and where I think I am going and why! 

Sign of the times  :88: 

But at least you had to opportunity to venture out into the world again !    Good to hear from you  ...  take care !

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Francois_Dumas

Here's the latest update from Italy, folks: As of June 15th the Italian borders will be open for SCHENGEN travelers..... that means RESIDENTS of the EUOROPEAN UNION and some associated countries like Switerland, Lichtenstein, Norway.....

NOT all other countries accept Italian travelers yet........ and Italy will not allow residents from the US and other international destinies come in yet (unless for very specific reasons I suppose).

So, hold on to your holiday plans for a little longer yet...... (many people have simply postponed until 2021.... ).