IGNORED

Aeroflow windscreen

Wayne Johnson

Wayne Johnson

I just installed the aeroflow windscreen I purchased a few months back due riding season getting closer here in the northeast. After putting it on the bike it seems kinda cloudy compared to the original. Anyone else experience this?

Was it a new shield?  Is there a protective film layer left on the shield. (Had to ask..)

I just installed a Werks Quiet Ride windscreen (THANKS TERRY!!) and it is clear as crystal, so to speak.  The OEM was not all that bad either, but I cannot add anything about the aeroflow other that what I asked.  Hope it is something simple.  Should be clear, if it is a new product.

RandyShields

Interesting timing.  There is a similar thread on the K1600 forum asking about Aeroflow windscreens.  Most of the comments were positive.  Mine was a little different:

A slightly different reply than others in the group. I added an Aeroflow screen to my 2012 GT shortly after I bought it. I sought to return a tall for a medium after simply mounting it, but not riding with it. It had NO marks on it. They were a bit snarky, but ultimately agreed to exchange it. It the past 7 years since the screen has been in use, it has gotten a bit foggy and discolored. I wouldn't say yellowed, but it is certainly no longer clear. I have only used Novus plastic screen polisher to clean it, so it is not the cleaning agent. But, as noted above, ymmv.

Wayne Johnson

It was new and doesn't appear to have a protective film on it. I have a inquire into them will share the reply

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2020 at 2:45 PM, gordiet said:

I have one on my new 1250RS. five months old and very clear. No yellow.

How does it work? Pics?

19 hours ago, Dan M said:

How does it work? Pics?

It is the 22 inch touring shield. Did away with most of buffering. The stock shield did nothing.

DD1FE75B-B363-4A8A-AC36-AAA963F9548A.jpeg

AB5D6F51-4D2F-45C2-8BDC-81033F816903.jpeg

00839DBB-6D69-4D27-B2F1-4B171AECD892.jpeg

202C2D3D-2279-4FDA-BA8C-A32241288ADF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had an Aeroflow on my R 1200 GSA,  I believe it's acrylic (Plexiglas) and I agree it seemed not to have the clear-as-water appearance of the OEM polycarbonate (Lexan) windshield. It didn't really matter to me that it wasn't as clear because I looked over it, and rarely cleaned it (it's a GSA, it gets "clean" when I ride it in the rain, and why bother anyway since I look over it?). On my new R 1250 GSA I'm sticking with the OEM because:

• I like that it's lower in the middle - the angle of the windshield combined with the lower middle means that the top appears flat from the riding position; I always felt like the Aeroflow intruded more into my field of vision.
  • I didn't find the Aeroflow any better at wind management than the OEM, even with the hand guards and extensions. Maybe it'll work better on an RS than on my GSA, it would be great if it does.
  • I'm willing to put up with the distortion of the OEM shield (sharp bends, waviness) because it doesn't have the foggy/hazy appearance the OP mentions. Yes I know, I look over it so why should I care, it could be opaque and meet my needs just as well, but it's my bike and it's what I like. YMMV
RandyShields
20 hours ago, WBinDE said:

I had an Aeroflow on my R 1200 GSA,  I believe it's acrylic (Plexiglas) and I agree it seemed not to have the clear-as-water appearance of the OEM polycarbonate (Lexan) windshield.

I am not familiar with the differences between acrylic and polycarbonate, but was interested in this statement about why my Aeroflow is not as clear as it once was. 

This article in the link below indicates that the acrylic is clearer than the polycarbonate, and can be polished to restore any lack of clarity.  Thoughts on this and whether I could polish my screen to make it more clear?

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/lexan-vs-acrylic

Thanks.

fourteenfour

Pretty sure Cee Bailey used Acrylic for their motorcycle wind shields, I had one on my 2017 Road King that was cloudy which took some work to get them to replace. I had to tell them they would not get the old one back unless they paid the shipping as Fed Ex and UPS both wanted more than fifty bucks if I shipped it. Sadly the replacement wasn't much better.  They left that business in 2018

realshelby
2 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

Pretty sure Cee Bailey used Acrylic for their motorcycle wind shields, I had one on my 2017 Road King that was cloudy which took some work to get them to replace. I had to tell them they would not get the old one back unless they paid the shipping as Fed Ex and UPS both wanted more than fifty bucks if I shipped it. Sadly the replacement wasn't much better.  They left that business in 2018

They were probably already in the " going out of business" mode about then. Certainly not the company ( regarding motorcycle products ) they were for many years. Cee Bailey did use a very high grade of acrylic. But I wonder if toward the end they might have bought some lesser quality acrylic to get by till the actual shutdown? The acrylic they used should never, ever cloud up. While something could get spilled on it, that would not likely be the whole screen. 

On 5/4/2020 at 7:10 AM, RandyShields said:

I am not familiar with the differences between acrylic and polycarbonate, but was interested in this statement about why my Aeroflow is not as clear as it once was. 

This article in the link below indicates that the acrylic is clearer than the polycarbonate, and can be polished to restore any lack of clarity.  Thoughts on this and whether I could polish my screen to make it more clear?

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/lexan-vs-acrylic

Thanks.

I too have read various articles claiming acrylic is more clear than polycarbonate. I don't know why but that doesn't align with my experience.

You can try Novus #2 (a mild abrasive/polishing compound) followed by Novus #1 in an inconspicuous area to see if it helps. Novus isn't the only solution of course, there is plenty of help available on the internet. Don't do what I did, though. I had some scratches on my Goldwing windshield (polycarbonate with an antiscratch coating, I believe) and tried to polish them out with #2. What happened was that after considerable work I removed some of the coating and made the problem worse, so I wound up buying a new windshield. An expensive mistake.

Indy Dave

My cam head came with a AeroFlow - gotta say - that is one quiet windshield! I use it as a 'Winter" shield, and having already changed back to the stock shield, I miss the quietness of the Areoflow. I have no idea how old it is, but it's not crystal clear - but it doesn't bother me as I don't normally look through it. If for some reason I have it raised way up and I do look through it, it still does not bother me. Let me clarify  'crystal clear' I both a Cal Science and Areoflow hanging on the wall in the garage. I just went and looked through both of them - and they look the same. But I do remember I felt the Aroflow had a slight  tint to it on the bike. But . .  on the RT - I can't overstate how much quieter that shield is though.

Remember - I have a RT, and the design of the Areoflow is significantly different from the GS.

RandyShields

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, I have some Novus 1 and 2. I may try that but will heed WBinDE's advice.

Dave, thanks. Actually, my AeroFlow is on my K1600. It is similar to the RT shield and quieter than stock for me. I do look over the top, but having it be more clear for the occasional glance through the shield would be nice.

Still working on Terry to come out with a WERKS shield for the K1600. Love how they look on the RTs. :grin:

• 4 months later...

I have the same bike and have additional questions, if you please.

First, do you look over the shield, or through it? Does it protect some or more of your upper arms?

Second, is that a cup holder a bicycle bottle holder on the right side of the bike? How is it attached?

On the left of your bike is a plugged in electrical device; what are you connecting?

I hope this is not to intrusive, and look forward to your reply.

Del